By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's New Fit Game (Ring Fit Adventure™)

Interest Level?

Getting at launch! 9 24.32%

Might pick it up eventually 11 29.73%

Leaning towards no 3 8.11%

Not a chance! 13 35.14%

Other 1 2.70%

Total:37

And it looks better than I assumed it would? An adventure type with RPG elements? I've gone from not wanting it at all to being really intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1orju1NsN8&feature=youtu.be

Around the Network

This doesn't seem like something that would appeal to the same people as Wii Fit. It looks a lot more niche. More interesting to gamers but less interesting to others.

I love the idea. Too bad it doesn't support co-op play. This would be awesome to play with a friendo or your couple...

Neat application of novel ideas. Nintendo being Nintendo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Looks much more interesting than Wii Fit. I could totally see a few more games coming out for this.

Around the Network

Very interesting.

Did they announce the price? I think I missed it. If they didn't announce the price it's likely because it's gonna be expensive.

I exercise almost every day but I'm not sure this one appeals to me yet. I guess I'm not convinced that it's going to be a good *RPG* yet. What I'm seeing are fairly shallow RPG mechanics, and maybe that's fine for those that are more looking for something to get them off the couch. To put it differently, if they were to remove the exercise controls from this game and make it playable with a controller, would this game still be fun?

Now Switch is going successfully after the gamers and the casuals.

Seriously, i would be surprised if they wouldn't bring it as a pack-in title, if not at release then later down the road.

I think this has a better shot than Labo. It exists at the intersection of stylish, family-friendly game that Nintendo do so well and the peripheral-driven exercise games of a decade ago - so my guess would be there's an existing market Nintendo can target with this to help it gain some traction and gain positive word of mouth. It looks like a good quality product, too, with an appealing visual style and a nice variety of game modes.

While I don't expect a Wii Fit style monster, I think we're looking at something that'll be more successful than Labo or 1-2 Switch.

For slow readers: the TL;DR version: JUST GIVE US SWITCH FIT ALREADY, NINTENDO!

And a central tracking system (could come with Switch Fit).

This is the second app (Fitness Boxing being the first) where Nintendo has done something good, but came far from the "compelling software" mark that they could hit by simply releasing a sequel to a product they already make.

Just like boxing, I like the looks of it, but it is too limited compared to something like Switch Fit.
But why does Nintendo keep giving us these vertical slices without some sort of central tracking system?

What I really want is a predictable goal-based application full of exercise routines updated for the Switch. While the adventure mode seems like it will be fun, I can't see it having longevity (I still play Wii Fit on Wii U at least 4 or 5 times a month, and maybe weigh in on it most days) due to the lack of predictability and customizability of the routines and experience. It looks like the progress based gameplay is not global (like Wii Fit U) but limited to the adventure mode which, to be fair, looks like something I wouldn't play more than a month (although I need to see more).

One thing I REALLY like about this is the Quiet Mode. I can clearly remember 1-4am nights where I spent a few minutes playing Wii Fit and then from the kid's room "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -- That is a HUGE positive for me.

All in all, I like that they're finally putting more fitness applications on the Switch, but it feels like a step down from Wii Fit.

What I was REALLY hoping for with the Switch was a universal Fitness center (the central tracking system I discussed above) that collects activity using data from all of the apps and walking (since the Switch is mobile and presumably has some active processes in sleep mode). At the very least, a mobile app that allows data to be synced with the Switch. Nothing like that has come out, and it seems so obvious, especially over the last few years where fitness apps have been popular. As well, these sort of Wii Fit vertical slice apps would be much more appealing (as well as motion-based games in general). But that wouldn't mean I wouldn't want a more robust Switch Fit app as well. I'd love something to tell me how many calories I've burned, the level of light vs. heavy exercise, the number of people in games I have punched and how that translates to calorie burning, etc...

In short:

* Switch Health and Activity Center - collects data from all motion and fitness apps, including everything listed below:
* Switch Fit - customizable exercise routines updated for the Switch and more robust than the last Wii Fit U.
* Vertical Slice fitness apps - like Fitness Boxing and this Adventure Ring Experience.
* Motion games - like ARMS, Wario Ware, Wii Sports, Rock Band, Just Dance.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 12 September 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.