By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Overwatch announced for Switch! Launching October 15!

Ganoncrotch said:

Oh wow I didn't know it was going into quick play as well that is kinda daft, although I know a few people who only play quick play because they don't like the"stress" of ranked but this would allow them play ow the way it was meant to be played.

The worst thing about these measures is they exist because it's a proven fact now that the best team setup is that shit with just tanks and healers which means that rather than being able to actually combat that setup they've gone heavy handed to try and pretend that isn't the case, to force teams to bring 2 DPS in an attempt to make the game more exciting to watch because watching two goats fight is far more fun irl than in overwatch.

I don't believe that. I've read and heard it before enough on OW reddit and boards as an excuse, it's just Blizzard removing GOATS from pro scene but considering they started off as you could pick as many of the same champ as you wanted, had 4 classes not 3 and could swap on the fly to adapt to the enemy comp, all of this has been removed. It's intended to be a team game, not fixed in a certain way else we've have 12 tanks, 12 dps and 12 support, if 5 DPS of differing styles and 1 support works, if 4 tanks and 1 DPS and 1 support works, they should allow it. That is how it was originally and esports has changed it. 

A CoD creator a few weeks back said that esports has ruined balancing in gaming. I'm inclined to agree.

https://wccftech.com/modern-warfare-mp-design-director-balancing-everything-kind-of-boils-the-fun-out-of-things/

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Nazih Fares, Blizzard's Communications Manager for the IMEA region, says the game will be a "locked 30fps" with "no dynamic resolution".

curl-6 said:

Nazih Fares, Blizzard's Communications Manager for the IMEA region, says the game will be a "locked 30fps" with "no dynamic resolution".

will have to see how it plays I guess, watching the digital foundry on this though it does look to have a higher level of graphics (slightly) than paladins because obviously they have to draw half the amount of frames but still... maybe we can hope for an option like Rocket League has? Just a performance / Quality option where the performance one drops some shadows of cars and resolution to lock it to (or close to) 60fps where the other version looks nice but plays closer to 30fps.

I would much rather play this at a lower res or graphic quality than at 30fps, just for me personally, although that said, I don't think I could play Overwatch on the Switch, just too used to that game on PC, still though it's around a month away still, just hope they hear the message that people would at least like the option of 60fps with lower graphic settings.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

will have to see how it plays I guess, watching the digital foundry on this though it does look to have a higher level of graphics (slightly) than paladins because obviously they have to draw half the amount of frames but still... maybe we can hope for an option like Rocket League has? Just a performance / Quality option where the performance one drops some shadows of cars and resolution to lock it to (or close to) 60fps where the other version looks nice but plays closer to 30fps.

I would much rather play this at a lower res or graphic quality than at 30fps, just for me personally, although that said, I don't think I could play Overwatch on the Switch, just too used to that game on PC, still though it's around a month away still, just hope they hear the message that people would at least like the option of 60fps with lower graphic settings.

Performance and quality modes would be nice, and I suppose it's not impossible they might add this if enough people request it. Making the resolution dynamic like Paladins should get it most of the way there.

Wish there was an option between 30 and 60...

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Wish there was an option between 30 and 60...

Why not tweet them asking for it? If there's enough interest maybe they'll add a performance mode.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch

https://twitter.com/IToTheG

Probably best to wait til next week though, if you tweet over the weekend it could get buried by the time they check it on Monday.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/345871-nintendo-is-to-thank-for-overwatch-legendary-edition-having-moti#comments

Info on the Switch version's motion controls:

- "It came about early on with our initial discussions with Nintendo. They expressed how it was a popular feature on the Nintendo Switch and encouraged us to investigate it. A few of us were a little skeptical at first, but after doing a bunch of research and experimenting with various implementations, it really grew on us. I think most people who spend time learning the controls really like it a lot."

- "With gyro-aiming, you can tilt the Switch or Pro Controller to give a little nudge to your aim and help line-up shots. Or, you can detach the Joy-Cons and point it at the screen like a laser pointer. One of our designers plays this way and dominates."

curl-6 said:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/345871-nintendo-is-to-thank-for-overwatch-legendary-edition-having-moti#comments

Info on the Switch version's motion controls:

- "It came about early on with our initial discussions with Nintendo. They expressed how it was a popular feature on the Nintendo Switch and encouraged us to investigate it. A few of us were a little skeptical at first, but after doing a bunch of research and experimenting with various implementations, it really grew on us. I think most people who spend time learning the controls really like it a lot."

- "With gyro-aiming, you can tilt the Switch or Pro Controller to give a little nudge to your aim and help line-up shots. Or, you can detach the Joy-Cons and point it at the screen like a laser pointer. One of our designers plays this way and dominates."

Motion controls are superior and it makes perfect sense to have them. They have already been excellent in Doom (2016). I think they added them with a patch because many people requested them, right? Can't believe there are still developers who haven't tried them yet but as we can see here in your link, the advantages can be experienced quite quickly.

Footage of the Switch version in action:

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 October 2019

Radek said:
2 years too late, No crossplay, 30 fps and releasing on the same day as Switcher 3.... yea that game will be dead come October 15th.

No crossplay or 60 fps sucks but still very much looking forward to it. Hopefully crossplay/60 can be implemented in the future.