Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite console from each of the big 3 and why?

Nintendo - SNES
My firts stationary console and i played many of the great games.

Sega - Dreamcast
I consider it the first console that ushered in the 3D era like no other that came before.

Sony - PS5... its like PS4... but more of it... and it brings me closer to the future of VR

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

Sony:

PlayStation 3 -

PS3 was the ultimate Home Computing device. Specifically the launch 60GB Model, is still to this day, the best Home device I have ever owned. With the ability to run Linux and the PS OS, you had the best of both worlds.

PS3 had IMO an even better selection of 1st party titles than the PS4, matching it in quality, while offering a wider range of titles. PS Move and 3DTV support in the 2nd half of the PS3's life made it the most social gaming platform I have ever owned. Playing stuff like Killzone 3 with the Sharp Shooter on my 3DTV have still not been matched/surpassed to this day.

PS3 was a far better media device than any current consoles as well. From the XMB you could handle all types of media, and with the built in browser it was easy to grab game trailers, music, and other content. When the XMB ran out of capabilites, you could always fire up Linux to use stuff like VLC Player, GIMP, AbiWord, and many other great applications.

Microsoft

Xbox One X -

This is the closest thing to a PS3 successor on the market. Microsoft has done almost everything right with the XBO X, only falling short of offering full Windows 10 support on the device.

I know it is popular to talk down about Microsoft this generation, but they have actually put together a very nice line up of games this generation. Stuff like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3 & 4, Gears of War 4, and The Master Chief Collection are just a few very worthy titles that have hit the platform. With the X360 & XB backwards compatability push, it has they have turned the XBO into the ultimate Xbox. Not only do you have access to a huge library of the X360 game you already bought, but they also play much, much better on XBO X.

The only thing that keeps XBO X from being my 2nd favorite home console to date is the lack of VR. If Xbox One supported VR, it would be ahead of PS4, but without it, PSVR is just enough to edge of 2nd place on my all time favorite consoles.

Nintendo

N64 -

This one was actually a hard decision. The Switch has been a very good platform so far, but it has yet to reach the status of the N64 with me. I have been in love with the N64 for 20 years. I watched for 3 generations waiting for Nintendo to deliver a successor to the platform, and they disappointed for ages. For my tastes, the N64 was the peak of Nintendo. GoldenEye 007, Donkey Kong 64, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, WWF Wrestlmania, WWf No Mercy, the list goes on and on.

During the N64 era, I was equal parts Sony and Nintendo fan. I had incredible times on both PS1 and N64. N64 is the only time I can make that claim, so it has to be my favorite Nintendo console to date.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Nintendo: A toss-up between the NES and SNES. I've always had a hard time deciding which I liked more. The NES had so many great games, perhaps even more than the SNES, but the SNES took many series that debuted on the NES and took them to new heights, heights so high it makes it hard to go back to the originals (see Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy as example series). The SNES is also a more reliable system. However, the NES had three main series Mario games (including SMB3, my favorite in the series) as well as the classic Mega Man series, which I enjoyed more than the X series (which was still great).

Sega: The Genesis. It was their magnum opus. The Master System is largely forgotten today, the Saturn was a disaster, and the Dreamcast's life was cut short despite some potential. But the Genesis had everything going for it. It earned its status as a rival to Nintendo. While I personally enjoyed the SNES's library more overall, the Genesis had enough classic gems to make it a worthwhile system.

Sony: The PS4. Honestly, I only had a PS1 & PS2 for Final Fantasy and a handful of other games, and while I did play on my best friend/former roommate's PS3 I never owned one myself. The brand never did anything for me. I also couldn't stand their controllers. But the PS4 had an excellent controller (though I still prefer Xbox's gamepads), and Sony has really upped the ante on their first-party content. I've bought more games for the PS4 than I did for the PS1 & PS2 combined. Sony also made a lot of right moves at the start of the generation, enough to where I actually wanted to buy a PlayStation system for reasons beyond "it has that one game I want."

MS: The Xbox 360. Despite its high failure rate (I'm on my third), the 360 came at a time where MS was trying to really expand the brand. While most of its exclusives were moneyhatted, it was enough to really get me to invest further into the brand. The OXbox was to me "that system with Halo on it," and while the impending release of Halo 3 was the biggest reason for me wanting a 360 it had so many other reasons as well. It also did a lot to move online gaming forward, setting the standards that exist today. Oh, and the novelty of the achievements really sucked me in, as they often provided incentives to play games in ways I would have not thought to do. While the Xbox One (esp. the X) is a solid system, it came after the point where MS struggled to offer much in the way of compelling first-party content besides Halo, Gears, and Forza.

Jaicee said:
Chris Hu said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that what you said about the PS4 isn't true with all the games they added via backwards compatibility the X1 has just as many games available as the PS4.  The console that could play the most games was more then likely a early PS3 with full backwards compatibility since it  could play all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Have you factored in the PlayStation Store? I mean thanks largely to independently-developed games, new games are getting released at a MUCH faster pace than ever before today, and, of the home consoles that have been released to date, I'm pretty sure the PlayStation 4 has the largest overall library of these (even though the Switch is moving fast to catch up). Combined with nearly six years worth of AAA releases (which is also a category the PS4 has led in overall for this generation), I think you can see my math here.

I own a PS4 and there really isn't a lot more available in the PS4 store compare to the Microsoft store.  Also most indie games are multi plat or end up being multi plat eventually.  The 360 at one point had the most indie titles since a ton of them where developed by only one or two people and anybody with a little programming knowledge could develop a indie games for the 360 I didn't play any of them though since a majority of those smaller indie titles had no achievements.  

Jaicee said:
Chris Hu said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that what you said about the PS4 isn't true with all the games they added via backwards compatibility the X1 has just as many games available as the PS4.  The console that could play the most games was more then likely a early PS3 with full backwards compatibility since it  could play all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Have you factored in the PlayStation Store? I mean thanks largely to independently-developed games, new games are getting released at a MUCH faster pace than ever before today, and, of the home consoles that have been released to date, I'm pretty sure the PlayStation 4 has the largest overall library of these (even though the Switch is moving fast to catch up). Combined with nearly six years worth of AAA releases (which is also a category the PS4 has led in overall for this generation), I think you can see my math here.

Here you go at one point there where 3398 indie games available on the 360 and that might not even be all of them.  I'm pretty sure that number is higher then the current number of games available in the Playstation Store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyH2a5dxjLE

Somebody should really make a in depth video on how the 360 started the indie game revolution on consoles.

Around the Network

360. PS4. N64.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

PS4, SNES, and 360

Chris Hu said:
Jaicee said:

Here you go at one point there where 3398 indie games available on the 360 and that might not even be all of them.  I'm pretty sure that number is higher then the current number of games available in the Playstation Store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyH2a5dxjLE

Somebody should really make a in depth video on how the 360 started the indie game revolution on consoles.

I looked it up for myself just now and here's the actual data: between hard-copy releases and digital downloads combined, there have, as of this date, been...

2,180 games released for PlayStation 4
2,103 games released for Xbox 360

You can't just look at the official search results that come up on the official stores because those include a metric done of duplicates due to the fact that those list bundles as separate games. Once you focus on actual unique titles, these are the numbers.

Anyway, the numbers are close! However, the PS4 already has slightly more games at the end of the day, and, unlike the 360, still isn't done. 

However, this said, looking up the total combined number of games that were ever released for PS1, PS2, and PS3, it also looks like your original claim that the early version of the PS3 that had backward compatibility was the system capable of playing the most total games may is probably still factually correct as of yet. The PS4 probably won't catch up to the combined total of all those games.

Also, counting both Virtual Console (659) and WiiWare (463) releases for the Wii, it looks like that system also had more total games than the PS4 so far (a little over 2,600 grand total), although the PS4 may very well yet catch up.

Those are the only two that have more total games though.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 15 August 2019

Nintendo: SNES, followed by Switch - Good games I've liked from the past, and the other, a handheld that's been alright for me so far.
Sony: PS1, followed by PS2 - Introduced me to survival horror and other classics, as well as providing me with a DVD player.
Microsoft: Xbox 360 - Introducing me to indie titles and shoot em' ups, followed by third person shooters.

Microsoft: Xbox 360
Tbh it's the only Xbox I've played on but it was outstanding and I had an absolute blast on it. Easily has one of my favourite controllers of all time, and a ton of games. Microsoft really matured during this era and became one of the big 3.

Sony: PS2
Best Sony console hands down. The amount of exclusives including third party exclusives were outstanding. Easily the console of choice for that generation. Where as the PS3 and PS4 are superb in their own right, the PS2 was just more distinctive at the time and just an unbelievable library.

Nintendo: N64
Pure nostalgia for me. Banjo, DK64, Goldenye and OoT are among my favourite games of all time. What I love about the N64 is how memorable the games were in a generation where games have aged so badly. Also the console design... slick. The Wii, Gamecube and SNES are really close but I starting gaming on the N64 so it will always be special. And yes I love the controller, FIGHT ME.
I have to say though, the Switch might end up to be my favourite by the time this gen is done, combining everything I love about Nintendo's history but it still needs time before I admit that.

YNWA