By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite console from each of the big 3 and why?

PS2, SNES and the X360.

Around the Network

Nintendo: SNES by a long shot. Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Mario World, Chrono, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, etc.

MS: Xbox 360 by a good margin. It had a great controller and had some really good software. That was back when MS was at least trying.

Sony: ps4 because souls. It has all 3 of them.

For me it's...

Sony: PlayStation 4 easily for numerous reasons. First and foremost, unless I'm mistaken, between AAA releases and indie games, I believe the PlayStation 4 can play more games than any other system in history, and what's more most of my favorite games ever are available for it! On top of that, it's also got IMO the best controllers out there, and furthermore remains among the most high end systems released to date in terms of graphical capabilities and all that to boot. This has also been a console generation that's really seen Sony come into their own when it comes to all-around compelling first-party releases, from Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy to the new God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and well beyond. These games aren't just fun to play, they also have excellent storylines and so much more that go to prove the ongoing merits of single-player games in particular here in an era where they more largely seem to be fading into the background. It's also to be the exclusive home of my most anticipated game ever, The Last of Us Part II, and furthermore also the exclusive home of what is, for me, this year's most anticipated release as well: Death Stranding. PS4 has also had the best, most playable versions of many non-exclusives too.

Nintendo: Switch easily. In addition to some of the strongest first-party support I've yet seen Nintendo offer any of their systems, the Switch also now boasts a highly expansive indie library that includes many, many of my all-time favorite games, plays NES and retro arcade games too (as well as a handful of other old-school titles), and is also portable to boot. That last item is extra cool and distinctive!

(Like I've said before, I consider this current era to be the best in gaming history.)

Microsoft: Xbox 360. Whereas I hadn't been too impressed with the original Xbox, Microsoft had me right out of the gate with the 360, which released with such exclusives of appeal to yours truly as Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo: Elements of Power and quickly become my 7th gen platform of choice by beating the PS3 to the punch on numerous major and/or just awesome titles, including such examples as The Elder Scrolls IV, Portal, Mirror's Edge, Braid, BioShock, and Mass Effect. Even Final Fantasy XIII got a same-day international release on the 360. (Also, I thought Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was cute.) Only from the second half of the 7th generation did the 360 start to become my second choice for that period.

Sega: Saturn. In a technical sense, the Saturn wasn't the highest-quality 5th generation console released at all, but it had a number of exclusives that I still enjoy playing today, including Magic Knight Rayearth, Shining Force III, NiGHTS Into Dreams, and the early Panzer Dragoon games. Not that this means much in retrospect, but the Saturn version of the original Tomb Raider was also the first version of that iconic game I got because it came out a whole week before the PlayStation version here, so a lot of my first memories with the Tomb Raider franchise are tied to the Saturn.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 11 August 2019

Sony: PS2- For me, it was the PS2 that made gaming more than just a hobby. Gaming is now an integral part of my life thanks to the franchises and unique experiences like GTA, Final fantasy, MGS, SOTC, God of war, gran turismo, resident evil, okami, killzone and many more. I've owned over 180 games on the PS2. And that was it, I've been a part of Playstation Nation ever since and never looked elsewhere.

Nintendo: NES- My dad got it for when I was just 5. I remember playing duck hunt, contra and a Mario game (don't know which one). NES is also the only Nintendo console I ever owned.

Xbox: None- Never owned an xbox console and probably never will.

PS2 - Endless pool of great games to play.
360 - For the first half of its gen, it was actually better than PS3. I loved the fable games too.
Switch - Being able to play console games on my TV or on the go portably is a godsend for me. Not to mention Nintendo's top notch exclusives.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Nintendo - NES.  The most amazing console ever made.  It had so many new types of games that made huge breakthroughs:  Super Mario Bros 1-3, Zelda 1-2, all the Mega Man games, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear, Tetris, Dr Mario, Ninja Gaiden, Punch Out, etc...  It also had the first light gun with lots of cool light gun games.  It revived console gaming from the dead!  No other console even comes close to the NES's greatness.  (Maybe the Switch will.  We'll have to wait and see.

Sony - PS2.  I came for the Final Fantasy, but then I found plenty of other great games after that: Spider-Man 2, Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero 3, Kiingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, etc....  I'm on a huge PS2 kick right now, too.  I'm going back and trying out several new games I missed the first time around.  There is a lot more treasure here for me to discover.

Microsoft- none.  Never owned a Microsoft console.

Atari - Atari 2600.  My first console.  I was just blown away by the fact that you could control something on your TV screen.  It had lots of fun arcade ports plus some great Activision games.  H.E.R.O, Adventure, Space Invaders, Missle Command, Kangaroo, Mr. Do's Castle, etc... are all great games that I remember playing.

Sega - Genesis.  This was a really fun console that I explored a bit deeper last year.  I may come back to it.  It has a real good mix of both arcade ports and console originals.  Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3, Golden Axe, Shining Force, Monster Boy, etc...  Just a really solid system.  

Nintendo - SNES - Better first party than it's main competition. Way better third party exclusives. It was kinda hard to go back to the Genesis after playing the SNES. An issue, for me, that's otherwise only likely to rear it's head when comparing consoles from different generations. Aside from the EA sports games, and, uh.....Aladdin, the muti-plats on the SNES were always better. The often tinny, barf-bass, awful, Genesis music and sound was a big factor in this for me. More so than the graphics disparity. I will say there were several times I loved the music and/or sound on the Genesis ( Sonic 1, Revenge Of Shinobi, Streets Of Rage, Thunder Force 2, and many others ). I have no hate for the Genesis. It was a fantastic system that was simply outclassed by that gen's front runner.

Sega - Dreamcast - In spite of it's very short life span. Burned very brightly for the time it was around. Very solid third party support. Sega's first party output was very strong, although I'll mention that I didn't "get" Virtua Fighter 3, wasn't a fan of Sonic Adventure, and thought Shenmue was technically amazing garbage. The online aspect sucked me in. Alien Front Online was one of my favorite games ever, and I was crestfallen when Propeller Arena was canceled when the plug was pulled on the system. Same deal with Legacy Of Kain 2. I'll never forget playing Jet Grind Radio in front of friends, and spray-painting images of a Japanese airline stewardess performing....certain deeds....all over the city, thanks to that game's ability to use saved images from the Dreamcast's web browser.

Playstation - PS3/PS4 ( tie ) - I'm getting lazy

MS - Xbox - See above 

Last edited by COKTOE - on 11 August 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

N64 - Goldeneye,perfect dark, Ocarina of time. Awesome multiplayer games. King of 1st person shooters. Better graphics than alternative saturn/ps1

Xbox 360 - great shooter halo etc, better graphics than ps3/Wii. Great online. Fantastic ranger of games.

Ps4 - best exclusives this Gen. Much more popular than alternative meaning better online activity. Great range of games. Great VR support. Great PS plus service.

Nintendo - SNES / Switch
I have yet to decide which is the best for me. Too many memories and great games on the SNES: Super Mario World, Yoshi Island, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, the first Mario Kart (oh god!), Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy 4-5-6, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter 2, Rockman X, Ghoul's and Ghost, Castlevania 4 and 5, Actriser, Ganbare Goemon 1-2, Demon's Crest. The Switch is in my opinion the best Nintendo console since the SNES days.. By the end of its lifecycle it could end up first!

Sony - Playstation 1 (PSX)
The first Playstation was a total revolution that today is not so easy to understand for the newer generations.
It probably had the most incredible lineup ever with games I loved so much: Final Fantasy 7-8-9, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Breath of Fire 3, Suikoden 2, Tekken 3, Soul Edge, Ridge Racer 1-4, Einhander, Resident Evil 2, Motor Toon GP, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Castlevania SOTN, Metal Gear Solid. Too many much beloved series started on this platform!

Sega - Dreamcast
Although I had a lot of fun with the Megadrive and Saturn, probably was the Dreamcast the real star on the Sega side.
Played a lot of great games and Arcade perfect ports for the first time on a home console: Crazy Taxi, Daytona USA, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Power Stone 1-2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Sonic Adventure, Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, Street Fighter Zero 3, JoJo's Beat'em Up.

Microsoft - ???
Haven't owned any Microsoft console yet.

M$: 360
Nintendo: GC
Sega: Genesis
Sony: PS2