By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite console from each of the big 3 and why?

The thread about your least favorite of the Big 3's consoles was great, so how about doing the opposite and discussing your favorite console put out by each of the big 3? For this one, Sega fans can also add their favorite Sega system.

Around the Network

I've been more or less happy with all of them as I only buy a console when I know that it has enough quality content to not be a disappointment. But from best to worst my ranking would be:

Sony: 1)PS3  2)PS2  3)PS4  4)PS1  5)PSVita

Nintendo: 1)GBC  2)3DS  3)GameCube  4)GBA  5)N64

Microsoft: 1)XB360  2)XB

PS3 was indeed Sony's most troubled home console with its expensive and complex hardware. However, I mained 360 (another great console) in the 1st half of the gen and only bought a PS3 in mid-2010 together with Uncharted 2, LittleBigPlanet, and Killzone 2. So I personally never experienced the high price and lacking game library.

While I continued to favor 360 in regards to the controller and some multiplats, PS3 ended up becoming my all time favorite console due to how much fun I had with its varied library that includes a bunch of my all time favorite games (Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Portal 2, Half-Life 2, The Last of Us (also for its multiplayer), Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Minecraft, PvZ Garden Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Alien Isolation, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption). Also spent countless hours with (sometimes drunk) friends in local multiplayer (Unreal Tournament 3, LittleBigPlanet, Blur, Diablo, Sports Champions). It even had a solid fps from Bungie. For me, it had it all (gamewise).

Last edited by Replicant - on 11 August 2019

Nintendo: The Switch. Not only does it combine the strengths of Nintendo's handheld and console divisions, the whole system just shines. Has a great library, especially of RPGs. I haven't had this much fun in gaming in years. Spent more time playing BotW than any other Zelda game. We just got another fantastic Switch game in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It's been a great retro system with a lot of arcade collections plus Nintendo's arcade library. And the ability to switch between TV and portable modes just by docking or undocking it is icing on the cake.

Sony: PS2. Much as I loved Gamecube, the PS2 just dominated overall. It was the leader of the incredible sixth generation of consoles. Had an eye-popping library for its time with a heathy mix of Japanese and western games. Sony just had the golden touch at the time, which they unfortunately squandered with the rough rollout of the PS3 that gave the 360 a big opening. That said, the PS4 has recaptured a lot of the PS2's glory after the huge stumbles of the PS3.

Microsoft: Xbox 360. Since I'm not a big Xbox guy, the 360 kind of wins by default since it was the only Xbox to date I've actually owned. Playing fighting games and even Halo 3 on Xbox Live was pretty revolutionary for its time, but the lack of Japanese games later in its life and the E74 error kind of killed the 360 for me. Still, I spent a lot of nights having a good time on 360.

Sega: The Saturn. It was an expensive failure that had a better library than it had any right to have. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force, Burning Rangers, Fighters Megamix, and even some obscure titles like Magic Knight Rayearth. Too bad Sega wouldn't bring over Sakura Wars or let Working Designs bring it over.

Dammit, I was gonna make this thread on my day off tomorrow now the other one's mostly run its course haha XD

Nintendo: Super Nintendo. - Some of the most memorable Nintendo games of all time really came into their own this generation... And even laid the foundation for future successive franchise releases.
Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox... List goes on.
The games have also aged extremely well visually.

Sony:
Playstation 1. - It wasn't the most powerful console of the generation, but it was the console that did allot of things right... And had some of my favorite titles of the era like the FMV loaded Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9.
And just like the Super Nintendo helped laid the ground work of some amazing franchises like Crash Bandicoot, Grand Turismo, Tekken and more.

Microsoft: Original Xbox. - Powerhouse of a console with full Pixel Shader 1.4 compliance... Games that utilized programmable shaders and bump mapping looked absolutely stunning by comparison to the dull and flat Playstation 2 and Dreamcast titles of the day... And even took a step ahead of the venerable Gamecube.
It also helped support one of the most important franchises in Microsoft's gaming efforts... Even gaming as a whole... Which was Halo.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Nintendo: SNES (Runner up Wii)

Best third party lineup of any of their systems plus an absolutely killer first party catalogue including all time classics like Yoshi's Island and the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, launched great IPs like F-Zero and Starfox, best pre-analogue controller, visuals and audio have aged like fine wine.

Sony: PS1 (Runner Up PS3)

Of all Sony's consoles it stills feels the most fresh, experimental, and interesting. Games like the original Spyro and Crash trilogies oozed charm. The 5th gen in general was such an exciting time, in which it felt like gaming was advancing in gargantuan leaps and bounds, and the PS1 was a big part of that.

Microsoft: Xbox 360 (Runner up OG Xbox)

Massive library of high quality games, superior version of most multiplats of that generation, best conventional controller to date, graphics were mind-blowing at the time and in many cases hold up very well even today.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 August 2019

Nintendo = Super Nintendo (SNES)

I love the charm of 2D sprites, and these more simple RPGs from then.
Super Mario World (1+2), Super Mario RPG, DKC 1-3, Secrete of Mana, FF4+5, Chrono Trigger, Megaman X+X2+X3, Street Fighter Alpha.... ect

Sony = Playstation 2

Final Fantasy X, made me get a PS2, that and backwards compatabilit (play PS1 games).
PS2 was a RPG dream machine.

Microsoft =Xbox360

havnt owned any consoles, but I'd say xbox360, for haveing things such as Mass Effect series.

Nintendo:
NES followed by Switch

Sony:
PS4 followed by PS1

Microsoft:
Xbox One followed by 360

Sony - PS4

MS - Xbox 360

Nintendo - NES

Sega - Master System

Xbox 360 - Still to this day an amazing controller. Halo games galore.

PS4 - Far cheaper than PS3 despite inflation, yet many more appealing games to me. This is the closest I've ever been to buying a PlayStation.

GameCube - Best controller of all time. I could fall asleep holding that thing it's so comfortable. Melee, Rogue Squadron 2, Starfox Adventures, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion. So many good, first time games on that device. Many ips started here.