By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite console from each of the big 3 and why?

Gamecube -- Nothing but amazing games. Nintendo's first party lineup was killer during this era; The console itself oozes charm, the controller is perfect (for games made on the system), and the games hold up quite well graphically to this day.

Xbox -- Great games as well; definitely a greater variety of genres comparing to following Xbox consoles. The S controller is an excellent controller as well.

PS3 -- The only PlayStation I've owned so I have to to put it here lol.

Around the Network

This is much more difficult than the other thread for Nintendo and Sony.

N64- Between the N64 and SNES. In the end I enjoyed more games on the N64 than the SNES. The SNES had a few stellar games, but I couldn't find more than a few.

PS2- Between the PS2 and PS4. The decider here is that the PS4 is simply not finished yet. When counting the amount of PS2 games in my top 50 list, it was the most out of any console. The PS4 may compete for that spot in the future, but the games still need to be released. BC is also great.

Xbox- The easy choice. Xbox had great exclusives, that the successors could not replicate. Also has bonus points for not having hardware problems.

SNES - Because its easily the best Nintendo's ever done. Amazing amount of quality games.

PS2 - Because its easily the best Sony's ever done. Amazing amount of quality games.

Xbox360 - Because I cant choose ps2 twice.

Poliwrathlord said:
Gamecube -- Nothing but amazing games. Nintendo's first party lineup was killer during this era; The console itself oozes charm, the controller is perfect (for games made on the system), and the games hold up quite well graphically to this day.

I can definitely respect this. If not for the Switch, my favorite Nintendo console would have been a toss-up between the Gamecube and the SNES.

Nintendo: Nintendo 64
This system had classic game upon classic game upon classic game. There are too many good games to count, especially when held up against the total amount of games that were ever released for the system. It holds many of my all-time favorites; Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Majora’s Mask, GoldenEye, Blast Corps, Banjo-Kazooie, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, Mario Party and more. Some of these are still the best games in their series. My best times in gaming were on this system, and I’m not short of fond memories. The N64 is the best system that was ever released.

Sony: PlayStation
The fifth generation overal was the Golden Age of Gaming, especially when also considering the GameBoy Color and what was released on PC during this timeframe. For Sony it’s no different, the first PlayStation is still their best. Again, this console holds many of my all-time favorites, with MediEvil, Kula World and Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 among them. I had a big library of games for this system.

Microsoft: XBox
Similarly Microsoft’s first outing was their best. This is also the only Xbox I’ve extensively played because it was the only one I was interested in. It’s games were often good ports of PC games but there were also original games I had fun with. After this consple the XBox to me became increasingly redundant, to the point where I can now play pretty much every one of the new XBox games somewhere else, on systems I already own. They do usuallly have the best controllers though.

SEGA: Dreamcast
The Dreamcast is the reason I never got a PlayStation 2. When this came out it seemed so far ahead of what we had that there didn’t seem to be a point. The notion was spearheaded by SoulCalibur, probably still the best fighting game ever made to this day. A host of it’s games became favorites, like the mentioned SoulCalibur, but also Crazy Taxi and Dynamite Cop. The Dreamcast stands higher than the Mega Drive for me.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 13 August 2019

Around the Network

Sony - Playstation 2

Nintendo - Wii (but I think the switch could surpass it based on its current library)

Microsoft -

Sony - PS2.
The best console of all time. The library is just insane, so many great games from all genres. Plus backwards compatibility and dvd player as a bonus. It sortadestroys every other Playstation console, even the PS1.

Microsoft - Xbox 360
Great library of games. Xbox Live really was a significant push for online gaming. XBLA did a lot for the indie scene.

Nintendo - The Switch
It's hybrid nature makes it really versatile,taking it on the go is a huge plus. Great library of games, especially from the first party.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Sony: PS1 overall. Even though the PS2, PS3 and PS4 introduced me to a much wider variety of games, the PS1 has Squaresoft's masterpieces and I feel like I can always go back and thoroughly enjoy those more than any other set of games on any console as time marches on and leaves other games behind that rely much more on graphics and controller ergonomics.

Nintendo: SNES. Legendary games like LTTP, Super Metroid, SMRPG, Chrono Trigger and lots of other quick and easy to play arcade games and great mario platformers make this a shoe in.

Xbox: 360. No contest. It has the overall best MS exclusives as well as some decent Japanese support.

Lube Me Up

Chris Hu said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that what you said about the PS4 isn't true with all the games they added via backwards compatibility the X1 has just as many games available as the PS4.  The console that could play the most games was more then likely a early PS3 with full backwards compatibility since it  could play all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Have you factored in the PlayStation Store? I mean thanks largely to independently-developed games, new games are getting released at a MUCH faster pace than ever before today, and, of the home consoles that have been released to date, I'm pretty sure the PlayStation 4 has the largest overall library of these (even though the Switch is moving fast to catch up). Combined with nearly six years worth of AAA releases (which is also a category the PS4 has led in overall for this generation), I think you can see my math here.

SNES (Nintendo): I guess I was just the right age. I started gaming on the NES and Atari but with the SNES, the graphics and audio were finally of a quality to make me feel genuine emotions while gaming.

PS2 (Sony): The library was just incredible. You couldn't find enough time to play all of the amazing software that was always coming out. This was also the system where I felt Sony began relying on themselves rather than third parties and started pumping out some true classics.

Xbox 360 (Microsoft): It just felt like something from the future. A lot of features weren't new but they were new to me! It's sole the reason I even got internet at my house. Downloading games, trailers, demos, and add ons. Earning Achievements and chatting with friends. Online gaming and watching Netflix. I was in awe. It was the future my younger self could never even imagine and it was right in front of me. The library was pretty epic, too.