By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you buy a PS4 Portable ?

I would buy one. Sometimes, I like to play games in the laziest positions humanly possible, and those positions are more easily obtainable with a portable. There are plenty of games on the PS4 that would be ideal for a small screen. I'd save the most graphically intense stuff for the big screen and Pro. I really like portables, but I never take my systems anywhere with me. When I'm out, I'm out, and don't want to play games. I leave my smartphone at home as often as possible too. Keys, ID, debit card. That's my preferred loadout.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

I would be curious to see what kind of loading time we’ll get on the go...

Potable sounds like a toilet so probably not.

I think PS5 would be better starting point to derive handheld from, swap CPU for ARM and cut down GPU and RAM for 720p or max 1080p resolution.

Azzanation said:
Potable sounds like a toilet so probably not.

That water in your toilet is non-potable, or I wouldn't advise drinking it at least...unless you're really, really thirsty.  But to each his own.

Around the Network

No, mainly because the tech isn't affordable right now. A third PlayStation handheld released in the next few years would likely be between the PS3 and PS4 in terms of graphics, so pretty much a Nintendo Switch. And I play Switch mostly docked anyway. On top of all that, I finally got a PS4. I've never owned a PlayStation, and this is the first "up-to-date" piece of gaming hardware I've had really ever. I know the PS5 is not far away, and gaming PCs can greatly outperform a PS4 with the right build. But I chose the PS4 for the mix of exclusives and multiplats unavailable on Switch.

The Switch isn't even as powerful as a base Xbox One or PS4, even in docked mode. You can't really make a portable for under $500-$600 with Xbox One or PS4 specs, if you can even make one at all.

The gaming industry isn't the easiest to predict, but I do the death of handheld platforms happening right now. The PlayStation Vita has been officially discontinued worldwide this year, the 3DS will likely be discontinued in 2020 or 2021. I see Nintendo's hybrid idea sticking. The successor to the Switch will likely be a hybrid, rendering a seperate dedicated handheld platform very irrelevant.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Nope. What makes the Switch nice is it does both home and portable for $300. Spending $300 for a ps4 and $300 for a portable for $600... nah. I don't portable game that much.

Not too mention the question is rather silly.  How would a portable device play 30-50 gb ps4 games???  Plus that battery life, ugh.

No, im not into handheld gaming.

Good to know that most of the people replied on the thread are not into handheld gaming and still prefer a home console.

I should have put more thought into this idea before making the topic.
With streaming being the future ( far Future), a portable only device wouldn't be successful (outside of japan) at this point of time.

Compatible to all my digital PS4 games?

Of course, would help with my PS4-backlog.... but it would hurt my Switch-backlog.