The Switch Pro Will Cost:

299 20 33.90%

349 18 30.51%

399 20 33.90%

Other 1 1.69%

See Results 0 0%

Total:59
Chrkeller said:
It is my strong opinion that games built for two platforms do not leverage the power of the stronger platform. To really get a benefit, games need to be developed from the ground up. I upgraded from a ps4 to Pro, honestly the improvements are negligible, IMHO. I don't want Nintendo to do a Switch Pro. Release a Switch 2 in 2022-2023, make it BC and just power boost so it is a major improvement. Stop the half *** crap.

This sums up my thoughts exactly.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

It really depends on what they want to do with it.  Are they expecting this to be an original Switch model replacement to sustain the VR application and remain reasonably relevant with next gen hardware? Are they going to allow developers to eventually use the higher power making it more of a Switch 1.5?  Is it going to eventually phase out the existing model similar to how DS Lite did with DS Brick?  If yes to any of these then I would say no higher than $349 with a price drop to soon follow in order to get as much userbase to "switch" as possible. They can also sell a Body Only version since most current Switch users already have the controllers and dock for around $200-250.  Ideally, they will drop the price of the original Switch package to $200-250, release a body only version of Switch Pro for the same price, and release the PRO complete package for $299.

Last edited by zygote - on 27 July 2019

I think, given the existence of the Switch Lite and revised regular Switch at $200 and $300 respectively, a Switch Pro really only makes sense at $400. Any cheaper, and what kind of upgrade could it possibly even offer? I would think the whole point of a Switch Pro would be a more powerful Tegra chip, more RAM, and maybe a 1080p screen and more internal memory. You aren’t gonna get that for any cheaper than $400, especially if this is a Pro model and not just a successor coming out years from now.

This would also be in line with the typical pricing of the “Pro” models for PS4 and Xbox One, the latter of which is actually $200 more then the cheaper model.

And hey, given the Switch’s unique design, Nintendo could conceivably sell a tablet-only model for purely upgrading purposes at $200 (or maybe $250, depending on how much money such a model would save Nintendo), saving consumers who don’t want to buy another, another AC adapter, another set of joycons, etc a decent chunk of cash. Hell, places like GameStop could even have a trade-in program available, where you trade in your old tablet for additional money off.

Give me a Switch TV first and do away with the screen, battery, joycons, dock, speakers, gyroscopes... But if they are making "Pro" variant hardware that has more Ram and a faster SoC, I would be all for it's inclusion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I'm willing to pay € 400 if the Pro is really significantly more powerful than the first Switch. And for that I demand:

- A 1080p Screen

- A slightly bigger screen than the original Switch's

- A significant boost in processing power, I'd say at the very least 1.8 Tflops which is how powerful the first PS4 was back in 2013

- A better architecture allowing for the system to heat less and last longer in portable mode (At least as much as the new Switch releasing in August 2019)

- At least 128 GB of internal memory cause 32 GB was laughable in my opinion and honestly 128 GB is not exactly ground breaking but I'd settle for that

- The joy con drift issue MUST be fixed

So I don't think I'll be buying the Pro cause I don't think Nintendo will address all these issues and make a Pro that is worthy of the name, but on the off-chance that I'm wrong, I will then get a Pro and I don't mind paying a premium price for a truly better system.

More like can't address.

1.8T Flops is out of order for current technology levels. Even the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cn, which is strictly intended for laptops and convertible tablets, doesn't even reach half as much power. You would need an RX Vega 11 to reach 1.8 TFlops

This chip can reach 1.8 TFlops. Look at it's TDP: it's rated as 35-54W, way outside the bounds of a handheld. It could be used in a gaming laptop, but even an ultrathin wouldn't have enough cooling for it. So you can also forget about the heating and the battery life extension with that.

As for the other points, the slightly bigger 1080p screen could be done. I don't see the point since few games will make use of it. But if movies would come to the Switch, then I would definitely agree on this. The 128GB internal memory is something I'm awaiting too. I was actually expecting a model to come out with that amount of storage while the base model we have now would have been dropped by $50 in price - but that was before the reveal of the Lite and new battery model.

As for the Joycon drift, I'm sure that the new models will get that issue fixed. Free repairs are also expensive for Nintendo, after all.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 28 July 2019

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
It is my strong opinion that games built for two platforms do not leverage the power of the stronger platform. To really get a benefit, games need to be developed from the ground up. I upgraded from a ps4 to Pro, honestly the improvements are negligible, IMHO.

With dynamic resolutions and level of detail, dynamic effects, unlocked fps and displays with adaptive synchronization technology none of the extra performance goes to waste. The additional performance either helps to improve the graphics or the stability of all games on the current platforms (PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC).

View on YouTube

measurable differences and perceptible differences are not equivalent. I bought a ps4 at launch and upgraded to a Pro 6 months ago. I don't perceive much improvements. Certainly not the level that was claimed.

I'm personally not a fan of DF, if the improvement has to be measured, as far as I'm concerned we have a problem.  I shouldn't need a computer to measure the improvment, it should be immediately noticeable.

CosmicSex said:

The Switch goes for $299.

The Lite goes for $199.

Can Nintendo charge $399 for a Pro?

This is exactly the price model I would expect. If they put in advanced technology in the Pro model to compete (at least in a way) against PS5, they need to charge a high price. I think it would be even the best for the image of Nintendo if they would offer a high end model, maybe for about the same price as PS5. That would help to be taken seriously.

I would buy a Switch Pro even for $499, if it would allow to play Zelda in 1080p60 or make other 3rd party titles like Bloodstained or Trials Rising look and play better.

Actually I don't expect a Switch Pro. I think we will we see a Switch successor in March 2022. That would be 5 years after the launch of Switch, what would be a typical Nintendo console life cycle. It would be about a year after the launch of PS5, so still in time to enter next gen.

Chrkeller said:

measurable differences and perceptible differences are not equivalent. I bought a ps4 at launch and upgraded to a Pro 6 months ago. I don't perceive much improvements. Certainly not the level that was claimed.

So you only had a PS4 Pro the last years. How do you know that the perceived quality on the PS4 base model ain't much worse?

Chrkeller said:

I'm personally not a fan of DF, if the improvement has to be measured, as far as I'm concerned we have a problem.  I shouldn't need a computer to measure the improvment, it should be immediately noticeable.

The differences are noticable in most cases. The measurements are only there to explain WHY the base versions on PS4 Slim and Xbox One S look worse or look less smooth or feel laggy.

Overclocking the Switch also has showed better results on demanding titles (fewer cases of lowering the dynamic resolution or less slowdowns).

But if you don't see any difference in most cases, then you are lucky. Ignorance is bliss.

I am not sure what has your panties all bunched up. I had a ps4 for years, played a wide variety of games over the years. I upgraded to a Pro and checked out my older games for the improvement (SotC, BB, Souls 3, Horizon, Nier, etc). Does the Pro improve games? Sure, a bit. It is my opinion that the improvement is minor. Certainly not significant nor drastic. I simply don't think dropping $350 to replace my perfectly fine ps4 for a Pro was worth the minor improvements. Ignorance has nothing to do with it, everybody is entitled to their opinion, including me.  It is my opinion that the Pro upgrades compared to the standard ps4 are not anything to write home about.  

As for DF, yeah good for them.  When they zoom in 500x, pause the screen does the Pro have sharper edges?  Sure.  But when I play games do I zoom in 500x and pause the screen for 3 minutes to observe the edges?  No sir, I do not.  For me, improvements need to be blatant during regular gameplay to warrant the investment.  The Pro does not offer that kind of improvement, IMHO.  I am not impressed with mid generation upgrades.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 28 July 2019