By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - xCloud reportedly bests Stadia in early latency tests at E3, 4 ms vs 21ms of added latency

kirby007 said:
SvennoJ said:

Not sure what to believe. Afaik it was supposed to run on actual xbox one hardware at the data center, 4 XBox One S consoles per server blade.
That 400 mile distance in a straight line through fibre cable in a single hop would take light 6.2 ms round trip. Add video encoding at the server side, video decoding at the other side. Only 4ms slower than running on a local XBox One S is simply not possible.

And indeed, real world will be different with data throttling, jitter, many hops to get to the server, home connection likely shared with other people streaming stuff. Remote play in home adds 60ms on top of the game...

Unless they allocate more resources at the datacentre vs a single xb1

That would require rewriting the game software, unlikely. They could overclock the server blades though, speed up rendering a bit to have time left over for video compression. Yet it's telling both Sony and MS use the actual hardware to run the games on. Cheaper than rewriting the code to run on general hardware.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 12 June 2019

Around the Network

Great.
Im looking foward to know more about xCloud.
If Im able to access my xbox library and the gamepass library would surpass a lot the content of Stadia. Also, the low latency, xbox win for me.
I hope it be on switch as well.

SvennoJ said:
CuCabeludo said:

The connections in such big events are the best one can pay. But for latency internet speed doesn't matter, but the distance between you and the datacenter + the route the data takes on its trajectory.

And they are claiming the closest data center which was serving the stream at E3 was 400 miles away. If true, then game streaming tech has gotten a huge leap.

Not sure what to believe. Afaik it was supposed to run on actual xbox one hardware at the data center, 4 XBox One S consoles per server blade.
That 400 mile distance in a straight line through fibre cable in a single hop would take light 6.2 ms round trip. Add video encoding at the server side, video decoding at the other side. Only 4ms slower than running on a local XBox One S is simply not possible.

And indeed, real world will be different with data throttling, jitter, many hops to get to the server, home connection likely shared with other people streaming stuff. Remote play in home adds 60ms on top of the game...

Hopefully the answer isn't the same way Nvidia explains RTX, and how "it just works", otherwise we'll be told, 'it's the power of the cloud'.

I love the name XCloud.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

SpokenTruth said:
jonathanalis said:
Great.
Im looking foward to know more about xCloud.
If Im able to access my xbox library and the gamepass library would surpass a lot the content of Stadia. Also, the low latency, xbox win for me.
I hope it be on switch as well.

800 mile trip plus rendering, video encoding, video decoding = just 4 ms?  Unless just broke several laws of physics, it's bullshit.

But it actually is

locally played its 60ms

Remotely played its 64ms

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

There's a server center 300 miles south of me. This is going to be amazing.

SvennoJ said:
CuCabeludo said:
October will be the launch. If they get good latency results for the open public today, imagine in 10 years.

At the speed the internet is improving, if game streaming catches on, in 10 years the internet will look like this :)

My internet is faster today than 10 years ago, most of the time. It was a lot more reliable and consistent 10 years ago.

No worries, you can pay extra to get priority when net neutrality is gone :)

Internet speeds in my area has actually dropped.  AT&T cut it in half in order to meet sharply increasing demand and there is still a waiting list.  Because of that increased demand, the service pretty much looks like that picture during peak usage periods.  AT&T keeps increasing the cost, though, even though the quality has gone down.  

Anyway, anyone putting stock in a single test from one location really needs to stop and think before they trust they'll get the same results.  Way too many variables to make an assumption like that off a dozen simulations, much less one.

Also, I just looked up and realized Adblock has blocked 181 ads on this page.  Impressive, VGC.  

SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:

But it actually is

locally played its 60ms

Remotely played its 64ms

I'll try this again.

Unless they just broke several laws of physics, it's bullshit.

It might be, but not in the way you present and envision it

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:

It might be, but not in the way you present and envision it

There is no 'might be' about it.  Light travels at 186.282 miles per millisecond in a vacuum.  At 4 milliseconds, you have a maximum transmission distance of 745.128 miles.  Again, in a perfect point to point vacuum.

Now add in natural time delay for fiber optic cabling, input delay, signal conversion delay, encoding delay, decoding delay, game render delay, switch delay, router delay, backbone route delay....hence, bullshit.

Ah i see where we are miscommunicating.

That 4 ms extra vs local doesnt mean the transport takes 4 ms

Its just that the 64ms is differently buildup vs local 60ms

SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:

Ah i see where we are miscommunicating.

That 4 ms extra vs local doesnt mean the transport takes 4 ms

Its just that the 64ms is differently buildup vs local 60ms

I thought about that too but didn't they say the remote rendering was basically just a server form of the Xbox One hardware?  So whether you render it locally or remotely, if it's largely the same hardware, you should largely get the same render time.  Only now you have all that extra stuff I just said above.  So again, how?

It was a xb1x vs xb1s

Edit : i like how you dont want to see past your own viewpoint