By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - xCloud reportedly bests Stadia in early latency tests at E3, 4 ms vs 21ms of added latency

kirby007 said:
I live 124miles from the nearest datapoint which means 720p will have a 1ms traveltime based on this test going with 69% of SoL
Seeing as it took about 7-8 seconds hmmm that 400m could be true

You have a single fibre optic cable running from your tv to the data center?

Want to see how 'stable' and fast it actually is?
http://www.azurespeed.com/
That's only pinging 32 bytes of data back and forth, not actually transmitting full frames of video data.

That's my nearest data center, less than 60 miles from where I live.



Around the Network
kirby007 said:
I live 124miles from the nearest datapoint which means 720p will have a 1ms traveltime based on this test going with 69% of SoL
Seeing as it took about 7-8 seconds hmmm that 400m could be true

Can you clarify what you mean by that?



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:
I live 124miles from the nearest datapoint which means 720p will have a 1ms traveltime based on this test going with 69% of SoL
Seeing as it took about 7-8 seconds hmmm that 400m could be true

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Light travels at about 69% of the speed of light through fibre optic cable. That's through a straight cable without any hops, excluding any receiving / transmitting hardware on either end.

It ca go faster, but not practical for long distances
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/151498-researchers-create-fiber-network-that-operates-at-99-7-speed-of-light-smashes-speed-and-latency-records

So for long distances the speed barrier is 0.483 ms per 100 km. The distance isn't the real issue, the amount of hops the connection goes through is what adds latency. That together with bandwidth (affects time to transmit each frame) and stability (judder)



SvennoJ said:
SpokenTruth said:

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Light travels at about 69% of the speed of light through fibre optic cable. That's through a straight cable without any hops, excluding any receiving / transmitting hardware on either end.

It ca go faster, but not practical for long distances
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/151498-researchers-create-fiber-network-that-operates-at-99-7-speed-of-light-smashes-speed-and-latency-records

So for long distances the speed barrier is 0.483 ms per 100 km. The distance isn't the real issue, the amount of hops the connection goes through is what adds latency. That together with bandwidth (affects time to transmit each frame) and stability (judder)

I was just making sure that's what he was referring to and not something else as part of a speed test.  



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Yup MS stated that xCloud will not have latency issues. If this is realistic across the globe than those that are worried about streaming lag can take that off there worried list.



Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Yup MS stated that xCloud will not have latency issues. If this is realistic across the globe than those that are worried about streaming lag can take that off there worried list.

Unless MS buys every WAN and mobile service providers in world, every back haul carrier in the world, replaces thousands of switches and routers, develops a new Wi-Fi standard with exceptionally minimal attenuation and interference, upgrades all last mile copper networks to fiber and builds Azure data centers to ensure no more than a 168 mile transmission distance, develops more efficient routing protocols with no bottleneck backbones....they have no say in latency beyond their data center.

Do a Trace Route to Microsoft and look at how many routers a packet traverses, how many different companies it is fed through, and how long it took for that ICMP Echo reply to come back.

Or you can check Azure latency with MS's own tools. 
http://www.azurespeed.com/

Select the regions you want and it shows you a continuous latency graph. My averages to the closest Azure DC (500 miles away - 1,000 round trip) fluctuated between 55 ms and 140 ms (seeing 101 ms pretty consistently right now).  And I'm using my own data center's network (piped directly onto the Internet with no ISP).  MS can't change that except for building a closer Azure data center.

Oh, and those numbers are again just a basic ICMP echo and reply. No input delay, no game rendering, no video coding, no display delay, etc.... 



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:

Do a Trace Route to Microsoft and look at how many routers a packet traverses, how many different companies it is fed through, and how long it took for that ICMP Echo reply to come back.

Or you can check Azure latency with MS's own tools. 
http://www.azurespeed.com/

Select the regions you want and it shows you a continuous latency graph. My averages to the closest Azure DC (500 miles away - 1,000 round trip) fluctuated between 55 ms and 140 ms (seeing 101 ms pretty consistently right now).  And I'm using my own data center's network (piped directly onto the Internet with no ISP).  MS can't change that except for building a closer Azure data center.

Oh, and those numbers are again just a basic ICMP echo and reply. No input delay, no game rendering, no video coding, no display delay, etc.... 

Gaming has always been an expensive hobby. Just look at the countries where gaming is the most popular, thats all that needs to matter to be a successful buisness.

USA, Europe, Japan, Australia etc all have what Steaming needs to be successful. The entire world doesn't need state of the art facilities for Streaming to be a thing. If you dont have a average to good internet in 2019+ than there are other issues in life than gaming that needs to be addressed first. 



Azzanation said:
SpokenTruth said:

Do a Trace Route to Microsoft and look at how many routers a packet traverses, how many different companies it is fed through, and how long it took for that ICMP Echo reply to come back.

Or you can check Azure latency with MS's own tools. 
http://www.azurespeed.com/

Select the regions you want and it shows you a continuous latency graph. My averages to the closest Azure DC (500 miles away - 1,000 round trip) fluctuated between 55 ms and 140 ms (seeing 101 ms pretty consistently right now).  And I'm using my own data center's network (piped directly onto the Internet with no ISP).  MS can't change that except for building a closer Azure data center.

Oh, and those numbers are again just a basic ICMP echo and reply. No input delay, no game rendering, no video coding, no display delay, etc.... 

Gaming has always been an expensive hobby. Just look at the countries where gaming is the most popular, thats all that needs to matter to be a successful buisness.

USA, Europe, Japan, Australia etc all have what Steaming needs to be successful. The entire world doesn't need state of the art facilities for Streaming to be a thing. If you dont have a average to good internet in 2019+ than there are other issues in life than gaming that needs to be addressed first. 

Did you mean to quote someone else?  That post doesn't make any sense to my post.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Not looking good for Stadia.



CaptainExplosion said:
Not looking good for Stadia.

No looking good for MS lying.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."