By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - xCloud reportedly bests Stadia in early latency tests at E3, 4 ms vs 21ms of added latency

There's a server center 300 miles south of me. This is going to be amazing.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
CuCabeludo said:
October will be the launch. If they get good latency results for the open public today, imagine in 10 years.

At the speed the internet is improving, if game streaming catches on, in 10 years the internet will look like this :)

My internet is faster today than 10 years ago, most of the time. It was a lot more reliable and consistent 10 years ago.

No worries, you can pay extra to get priority when net neutrality is gone :)

Internet speeds in my area has actually dropped.  AT&T cut it in half in order to meet sharply increasing demand and there is still a waiting list.  Because of that increased demand, the service pretty much looks like that picture during peak usage periods.  AT&T keeps increasing the cost, though, even though the quality has gone down.  

Anyway, anyone putting stock in a single test from one location really needs to stop and think before they trust they'll get the same results.  Way too many variables to make an assumption like that off a dozen simulations, much less one.

Also, I just looked up and realized Adblock has blocked 181 ads on this page.  Impressive, VGC.  

kirby007 said:
SpokenTruth said:

800 mile trip plus rendering, video encoding, video decoding = just 4 ms?  Unless they just broke several laws of physics, it's bullshit.

But it actually is

locally played its 60ms

Remotely played its 64ms

I'll try this again.

Unless they just broke several laws of physics, it's bullshit.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:

But it actually is

locally played its 60ms

Remotely played its 64ms

I'll try this again.

It might be, but not in the way you present and envision it

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
SpokenTruth said:

I'll try this again.

There is no 'might be' about it.  Light travels at 186.282 miles per millisecond in a vacuum.  At 4 milliseconds, you have a maximum transmission distance of 745.128 miles.  Again, in a perfect point to point vacuum.

Now add in natural time delay for fiber optic cabling, input delay, signal conversion delay, encoding delay, decoding delay, game render delay, switch delay, router delay, backbone route delay....hence, bullshit.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:

There is no 'might be' about it.  Light travels at 186.282 miles per millisecond in a vacuum.  At 4 milliseconds, you have a maximum transmission distance of 745.128 miles.  Again, in a perfect point to point vacuum.

Now add in natural time delay for fiber optic cabling, input delay, signal conversion delay, encoding delay, decoding delay, game render delay, switch delay, router delay, backbone route delay....hence, bullshit.

Ah i see where we are miscommunicating.

That 4 ms extra vs local doesnt mean the transport takes 4 ms

Its just that the 64ms is differently buildup vs local 60ms

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
SpokenTruth said:

I thought about that too but didn't they say the remote rendering was basically just a server form of the Xbox One hardware?  So whether you render it locally or remotely, if it's largely the same hardware, you should largely get the same render time.  Only now you have all that extra stuff I just said above.  So again, how?

SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:

I thought about that too but didn't they say the remote rendering was basically just a server form of the Xbox One hardware?  So whether you render it locally or remotely, if it's largely the same hardware, you should largely get the same render time.  Only now you have all that extra stuff I just said above.  So again, how?

It was a xb1x vs xb1s

Edit : i like how you dont want to see past your own viewpoint

kirby007 said:
SpokenTruth said:

It was a xb1x vs xb1s

So let's narrow down the specifics.  It's not that I don't want to see past my own viewpoint, it's that they are presenting data that can't possibly happen and I'm trying to address where the discrepancy can be understood.

Xbox One S local - 60 ms

Xbox One X remote - 64 ms

Are this the specifics?  If so, do we have any tests demonstrating the input lag between the two consoles so that we can deduce the transmission latency?  By the way, I also just read they did this test over Wi-Fi at the Microsoft Theater.  That's going to add at least 1-2 ms with a lot of fluctuations.

SpokenTruth said:
kirby007 said:

It was a xb1x vs xb1s

So let's narrow down the specifics.  It's not that I don't want to see past my own viewpoint, it's that they are presenting data that can't possibly happen and I'm trying to address where the discrepancy can be understood.

Xbox One S local - 60 ms

Xbox One X remote - 64 ms

Are this the specifics?  If so, do we have any tests demonstrating the input lag between the two consoles so that we can deduce the transmission latency?  By the way, I also just read they did this test over Wi-Fi at the Microsoft Theater.  That's going to add at least 1-2 ms with a lot of fluctuations.

Now thats is a good question, now my next part is of memory from the stadia digital foundry vid so i could be wrong but i think the xb1x was at around 40-45ms locally