By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When was the last time the graphics of a game surprised you?

Most times when I play a console port on the Switch. I just think "wow. I'm playing this on a portable system."

Around the Network

The first time I played Super Mario 64 surprised me. I remember being blown away by the 3D graphics.

The first time I played Star Wars Rouge Squadron / 2 on Gamecube.

The first time playing Super Mario Galaxy on Wii.

The first time playing Uncharted / 2 on PS3.

The first time I played GTA5 on PS4.

The first time I played Breath of the Wild on Switch.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

My jaw dropped when Square Enix first showed Final Fantasy XV. The final game wasn't as impressive since it released well into the generation and many games had catch up with its visual quality or even surpassed it, but it still looked very good.

The reveal trailer, however, was the first one that really made me say "wow, this is what both the PS4 and Xbox One will be able to push".

Afterwards, Uncharted 4 made things even crazier.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

TruckOSaurus said:
REmake 2. The character models look incredible and they managed to update the original game while staying true to it.

I can't play REmake 2 because my PC can't run it very well, but yeah, based on what I saw, it was very good.

i recall when i upped by gpu from a HD 7970 to a GTX 970 and The Division on pc was running at full 60fps it looked incredible for sure

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

The last time? How Square Enix managed to recreate the good old 16bit RPG charme with Octopath Traveler to the T.

A Mario title, which doesn't try to look realistic, gets a free pass about such inconsistencies, but when it tries to be realistic, my mind treats them like that in every way, too. And that makes most AAA games fail miserably. Most games which try to get a realistic look fall right into the uncanny valley for me and look more repulsing than anything else for me. It also makes me spot logical/physical inconsistencies way faster than normal.

Hence why HZD for instance was absolutely unappealing to me the moment I saw a trailer. Humanity devolved back basically to cavemen, but use high-tech, very high-maintenance bows with specially engineered strings, which rot after a handful of years under ideal conditions? And hunt dinosaur-like robots, which survived all that time without any maintenance? Way too unrealistic for my mind, next!

I have the same problem with some movie tropes, like their explosions. I know that's not how they really would work, and it kills my suspension of disbelief for a moment.

Minecraft

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Moss. Can't believe it looks so good on the low res psvr. That game was a visual treat from start to finish. So awesome you can walk through the sets and literally take a peak behind the curtains.

The trailer for the new Beyond Good and Evil looks like something for the ages...just saying..

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

TranceformerFX said:
CaptainExplosion said:
I think it was either with Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of The Wild. I couldn't believe the Switch was capable of rendering all that.

Huh? Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey?

Not Red Dead 2?

Not Horizon Zero Dawn?

Not GTAV?

Not Witcher 3?

Not Fallout 4?

C'mon man... Take off your Nintendo glasses... Breath of the Wild/Mario was not "surprising" on either rendering OR visual fidelity... Least of all when you compare them to the games above...

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing. I think he's confusing the hardware with games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)