By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When was the last time the graphics of a game surprised you?

I still remember the first time I played Alan Wake on PC. I got so impressed by the graphics that I asked myself how the heck my PC was being able to run that game. It was one of the first "next-gen" games I played at that time, so maybe it helped it.

Most recently, I played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for some time, and the graphics also surprised me. Well, I haven't played so many current gen games, but yeah, Hellblade was beautiful.

What about you?

Around the Network

Not gonna lie, it was about 2 weeks ago, when I first played Days Gone on pro with 4K and HDR on, it was really stunning even though I already knew it's good, but still beyond my expectation.

Depends on what exactly you mean by "surprised". That's a broad term that can cover a wide range of subtly different reactions.

The last console game to really blow my mind graphically was Uncharted 2 in 2009.

More recently, games like Doom and Hellblade on Switch also impressed me in terms of "I can't believe this is running on a handheld."

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 May 2019

Super C when the bombs dropped on first level.

CaptainExplosion said:
I think it was either with Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of The Wild. I couldn't believe the Switch was capable of rendering all that.

Huh? Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey?

Not Red Dead 2?

Not Horizon Zero Dawn?

Not GTAV?

Not Witcher 3?

Not Fallout 4?

C'mon man... Take off your Nintendo glasses... Breath of the Wild/Mario was not "surprising" on either rendering OR visual fidelity... Least of all when you compare them to the games above...

Around the Network

Hm, I'd probably have to go with Witcher 3 for this gen.

I should also mention that while this gen has been a bit underwhelming for me in terms of graphics, the one title to really wow me has been Metro Exodus maxed out and raytraced on PC, it really does look incredible.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 May 2019

Valkyria Chronicles.

TranceformerFX said:
CaptainExplosion said:
I think it was either with Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of The Wild. I couldn't believe the Switch was capable of rendering all that.

Huh? Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey?

Not Red Dead 2?

Not Horizon Zero Dawn?

Not GTAV?

Not Witcher 3?

Not Fallout 4?

C'mon man... Take off your Nintendo glasses... Breath of the Wild/Mario was not "surprising" on either rendering OR visual fidelity... Least of all when you compare them to the games above...

Pixels aren't everything, friend.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Motorhead by Digital Illusions from 1998.

Sure it might not look so impressive today but back then I wondered how the heck my computer could run it looking so well.

Sure the reflections in the cars wasn't real time but just the same reflection looped over and over (something you didn't really notice when actually playing the game). And of course the game suffered from the late 90-ies phenomenon of an overabundance of lens flair. But the game ran flawlessly with a graphical fidelity that was amazing for 1998 and it was a fun arcade racer also.