By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When did you first notice that grafix had diminishing returns?

curl-6 said:
linkink said:

Honestly it depends on the game. Batman AK on ps4/xbox makes batman origins look like a vita game, same thing for RDR2 vs red redemption 1. i just watched some gameplay of uncharted 2 and it looks so dated. I honestly feel switch jump from vita is the same as ps3 to ps4. it's just took developers much longer to get a grip with the hardware to take real advantage of it.

PS3/360 do indeed look technically dated now, but I still haven't seen anything on PS4 that leaves PS3's best quite as far behind as later PS3 games did to anything on the PS2. 

When I look at something like Metro Exodus maxed out and raytraced on PC, now THAT looks like a proper generational leap over PS3/360 to the extent of prior leaps, in my eyes anyway.

You have crazy high unrealistic  expectations. That PC is like a 100x jump compared to ps3. I don't how you can look most ps4 games in not see a generational leap in graphics. Remember not being blown away is understandable as we get older it's get harder to be impressed, but looking at most Big ps4 sequels from developers, and sony the generational leap is clear as day.

Around the Network
linkink said:
curl-6 said:

PS3/360 do indeed look technically dated now, but I still haven't seen anything on PS4 that leaves PS3's best quite as far behind as later PS3 games did to anything on the PS2. 

When I look at something like Metro Exodus maxed out and raytraced on PC, now THAT looks like a proper generational leap over PS3/360 to the extent of prior leaps, in my eyes anyway.

You have crazy high unrealistic  expectations. That PC is like a 100x jump compared to ps3. I don't how you can look most ps4 games in not see a generational leap in graphics. Remember not being blown away is understandable as we get older it's get harder to be impressed, but looking at most Big ps4 sequels from developers, and sony the generational leap is clear as day.

I'm not talking about a leap in terms of quantifiable computing power, I'm talking about the subjective perceptual effect of diminishing returns.

To me the gap between gen 7 and 8 just isn't as impressive as past generation gaps.

curl-6 said:
linkink said:

I'm not talking about a leap in terms of quantifiable computing power, I'm talking about the subjective perceptual effect of diminishing returns.

To me the gap between gen 7 and 8 just isn't as impressive as past generation gaps.

That's fine, but you can clearly see a generational jump in graphics in most games from ps3 to ps4. In your last post you said metro on a PC that's what you considered  a true generational jump from ps3.

linkink said:
curl-6 said:

That's fine, but you can clearly see a generational jump in graphics in most games from ps3 to ps4. In your last post you said metro on a PC that's what you considered  a true generational jump from ps3.

And I stand by that. To me Metro Exodus maxed out and raytraced is the only game I have seen to date that looks as far ahead of the 7th gen's best as prior generational leaps like PS2 to PS3. Again, not from a point of view of actual computing power but due to the effect of diminishing perceptual returns.

curl-6 said:

Pretty much just about anything will look good when ray traced. I guess you'll soon get that proper generational leap over PS3/360 with next generation consoles on the horizon featuring hardware accelerated ray tracing and as an added bonus a back catalog of current generation titles too ... 

IMO, the sticking point of current generation was physically based rendering and volumetric lighting ... 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
linkink said:

And I stand by that. To me Metro Exodus maxed out and raytraced is the only game I have seen to date that looks as far ahead of the 7th gen's best as prior generational leaps like PS2 to PS3. Again, not from a point of view of actual computing power but due to the effect of diminishing perceptual returns.

PS2 to PS3 was of course a bigger jump, But you also have to remember, you were much younger,  as you get older people tend to be much harder to impress, or be blown away. The graphics advancements are clearly generational when comparing most ps3 game to ps4, of course i can respect your opinion if you don't think the advancements in graphics are generational leap. aside from maybe uncharted 3 every ps3 game looks like a turd compared to ps4, especially open world games.

Last edited by linkink - on 03 May 2019

Late 90's already.

The jump to Unreal/Quake/Half Life was a massive one, but, while getting much more beautiful afterwards, at no time did the visuals ever achieved anything even close to that jump

On PS3 and 360 to be honest. I remember the graphical leap from the N64 to the Gamecube was huge and I couldn't believe it. But the jump to Xbox360 just didn't feel that big anymore. My first Xbox360 game was Oblivion and while it looked great, I didn't feel the better graphics helped me to get more immersed. Of course, an open world game like this would have hardly been possible on PS2 oder Xbox.

Early PS4 games to me looked mostly like their PS3 counterparts with higher resolution. I'm not much of a hardcore gamer and I think most "casuals" wouldn't notice much of a difference besides resolution. Graphics just need to be good enough to me and look clear and well-made.

Gears 3 / Uncharted 3 / Max Payne 3. Around that time.

Its impressive how good open world games can look though.

My post! I typed so much and it just vanished!! 😥

7th gen launched with a bunch of HD ports of 6th gen games. It dulled the impact because it eased us into games like Uncharted and Gears.

That's the gist, I guess.