By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sonic The Hedgehog - Official Trailer

Jim Carry sold me on it. The whole thing is a parody movie anyway, so I don't know why everyone is all bent out of shape about it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
KManX89 said:

And I heard Paramount were millions of dollars in debt, too. They better hope Terminator: Dark Fate is a big hit for them at the box office or else this trainwreck of a film could literally spell the end of them with Pet Sematary going in the red (and it WILL flop, spectacularly).

Oh, and just for added context, it apparently had a troubled production (shocking): 

Pet Scemetary was in the red? I thought it broke even.

It depends on how much they spent on the ad budget. The film made $103M as of now and may go on to hit $110M. The studio only sees about $55M. Take away the shooting budget, $21M, and that leaves them with $34M. It's possible they spent that much promoting the film.

CaptainExplosion said:
padib said:
Honestly puke-worthy but saved by Jim

Not even Jim can save this train wreck.

Train wrecks can be fun. Just look at the SMB movie

I guess its just a guilty pleasure of mine.

SpokenTruth said:

What's this?  Paramount will rework Sonic's design because of fan backlash?

LMAO at the last hashtag. #gottafixfast

Is that even possible without delaying the movie?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

shikamaru317 said:
Nautilus said:

Is that even possible without delaying the movie?

Yep. Doesn't release until November. The initial special effects/CGI for the movie were completed in 1 month, back in October 2018. Means it will only take them 1 month to replace the Sonic model in all of his scenes. 

Huh, interesting.Still, it must not be a cheap endeavor.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Nautilus said:

Huh, interesting.Still, it must not be a cheap endeavor.

I would guess it will add another $10-20m to the current $90m budget, since ILM and Blur are doing the CGI (they are both pretty expensive). At a $110m budget, will need to do about $300m at the box office to break even. 

What are the odds there are no leaks whatsoever until release now? Imagine if the full soundtrack leaked in the next while...

Bristow9091 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I would guess it will add another $10-20m to the current $90m budget, since ILM and Blur are doing the CGI (they are both pretty expensive). At a $110m budget, will need to do about $300m at the box office to break even. 

Yeah I'd say somewhere in the $250-300m range... although you've got to wonder, is it even worth spending the extra money to "fix" him, when historically films based on videogames have flopped... I can't see this making ANY money back even if people are satisfied with whatever changes they're making.

There's no way with a budget of $110M it would break even at $250M. Unless they spent absolutely nothing on advertising. Just to break even on the shooting budget would require $220M.  I doubt with Paramount needing this film to succeed, they are only spending $15M on advertising. Minimum, $50M. I'd say it's more like $320M to break even.  Of course, they'll probably want $400M+ to consider it an actual success.

Bristow9091 said: 
shikamaru317 said: 

Alot of them have flopped, but not all of them. The Resident Evil movies all did well for their budget. The first Tomb Raider movie from 2001 and the reboot from 2018 both did well enough to get sequels (sequel to Tomb Raider 2018 was just announced to be in development recently). I feel like kid friendly video game IP's like Sonic and Detective Pikachu have a better chance of success than the more adult oriented video game movies have had. Fixing the model might just be what pushes this movie over the break even point so that it can get the planned sequel on Sonic's home planet, Mobius. 

Yeah but those films only just broke even, and I'm not even sure if the Tomb Raider reboot last year made any money back, according to wiki (Yeah, not the best source but the easiest to get to, lol) it needed to make $275m to break even, and it only just managed that.

As for the Resident Evil films, yeah... collectively they actually did make a nice profit, but the budget of all six films combined was only $288m, with Retribution having the highest budget at (only) $65m.

I'm expecting Detective Pikachu to fare pretty well at the box office though, I mean, it's a huge franchise known all around the world by people of all ages, and it doesn't look too bad for what it is either... and apparently Legendary Pictures are expecting good things too since they're already working on a sequel...

The sequel to the new TR has a very small budget, I have heard. As bad as some of that screening was with the bigger budget, I can't imagine how poorly they will look with about half the budget. I expect the sequel to fail to make a profit, as well.

Sweet. The Sonic design was really the only thing that bothered me about the trailer. I now think this movie has the potential to be something special. Im far from a Sonic fan, but the movie looks fun.

No matter th design of Sonic this movie might actually be worse than the Super Mario Bros movie.

Ungodly awful trailer. That definitely was not a ''fan edit''. The studio know what they are doing. The trailer was probably cut months ago and knew it would gain publicity.