By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - What's your favourite genre of music?

 

What's your favourite genre of music?

Pop 7 10.94%
 
Rock 23 35.94%
 
Metal 14 21.88%
 
Hip-hop/rap 3 4.69%
 
Dance/EDM 5 7.81%
 
Country 1 1.56%
 
Jazz 0 0%
 
Classical 1 1.56%
 
Other 10 15.63%
 
Total:64

I shift between various genres. I mostly listen to punk (mostly 90s thanks to Tony Hawk Pro Skater), emo, and indie. I do love some R&B and hip hop artists (Janelle Monae, Childish Gambino). My favorite decade of music was the 90s because it had a little bit of everything. 90's R&B was the shit (R.I.P. Aaliyah). My favorite bands are Third Eye Blind, The Vandals, Muse, Social Distortion, Vampire Weekend, Jawbreaker, and Garbage.



Around the Network
Jumpin said:
aikohualda said:

Hounds of Love (Side A) is one of my fave record!!!!!!

Cloudbusting is a perfect song!

It's a brilliant album. Everyone should listen to Kate Bush at least once. I think she's truly one of the most solid icons in the history of popular music. I was debating between that song and this one.

I agree, everyone needs to listen to Kate. She's done some incredible stuff. "Wuthering Heights" is a classic, although I think the '80s version is better. One of the best vocal performances of all time.



Jumpin said:
aikohualda said:

Hounds of Love (Side A) is one of my fave record!!!!!!

Cloudbusting is a perfect song!

It's a brilliant album. Everyone should listen to Kate Bush at least once. I think she's truly one of the most solid icons in the history of popular music. I was debating between that song and this one.

You should try Tori Amos... at least the first 3 albums.... the influence of Kate on Tori's first album is palpable :P

what is my next LP after hounds of love???? should i do the dreaming or  the sensual world?



 

axumblade said:
I shift between various genres. I mostly listen to punk (mostly 90s thanks to Tony Hawk Pro Skater), emo, and indie. I do love some R&B and hip hop artists (Janelle Monae, Childish Gambino). My favorite decade of music was the 90s because it had a little bit of everything. 90's R&B was the shit (R.I.P. Aaliyah). My favorite bands are Third Eye Blind, The Vandals, Muse, Social Distortion, Vampire Weekend, Jawbreaker, and Garbage.

YaY, somebody else remembers Social Distortion!



The Sensual World over The Dreaming every day of the week. I find The Dreaming very difficult to get into... some great songs there of course, but The Sensual World is almost on par with Hounds of Love.

PS Tori Amos is the greatest.



Around the Network
Jaicee said:
axumblade said:
I shift between various genres. I mostly listen to punk (mostly 90s thanks to Tony Hawk Pro Skater), emo, and indie. I do love some R&B and hip hop artists (Janelle Monae, Childish Gambino). My favorite decade of music was the 90s because it had a little bit of everything. 90's R&B was the shit (R.I.P. Aaliyah). My favorite bands are Third Eye Blind, The Vandals, Muse, Social Distortion, Vampire Weekend, Jawbreaker, and Garbage.

YaY, somebody else remembers Social Distortion!

I finally saw them live a couple of years back and they are awesome. Mike Ness is the shit 



axumblade said:

I finally saw them live a couple of years back and they are awesome. Mike Ness is the shit 

Completely agree!

I feel like it's almost cheating to say that Nirvana is my favorite band ever considering how ubiquitous their songs were in the early '90s, but honestly it's true. I mean up there with Mazz Swift for me. I still listen to Lithium and Come As You Are regularly even now. Just always connected to those songs especially.

But yeah, them, Mazz Swift, Heavens to Betsy, Iggy Pop, Veruca Salt, I'd say those have been my favorite musicians to listen to overall.



Mostly 1980's pop music, back when video killed the radio stars of course. But I also like many other genres so I think it will be shorter to speak of the genres I don't like.

I really don't like Rap, man I hate rap, it's too repetitive and kind of aggressive, doesn't ring with me.

Hip-hop is also a genre I don't like, I'm not even sure how to define it.

Techno, trance and related genres are totally not for me. I see no depth in such music, it's just noise that junkies enjoy when tripping on drugs in a night club. Other than that, I think I like everything else.



I actually listen every genre of music except Pop.

Today I listened : The Eagles, Gun's N Roses, Hans Zimmer, Ennio Morricone and Eminem.



axumblade said:
I shift between various genres. I mostly listen to punk (mostly 90s thanks to Tony Hawk Pro Skater), emo, and indie. I do love some R&B and hip hop artists (Janelle Monae, Childish Gambino). My favorite decade of music was the 90s because it had a little bit of everything. 90's R&B was the shit (R.I.P. Aaliyah). My favorite bands are Third Eye Blind, The Vandals, Muse, Social Distortion, Vampire Weekend, Jawbreaker, and Garbage.

I'm more familiar with Childish Gambino as DonGlover from Derreck Comedy, a College Humour style channel that was really big in the early days of youtube before he became a major celebrity. I love Archandroid, perhaps my favourite album of the last decade

Not Tori Amos, but some stylistic similarities. Same decade.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 24 February 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.