By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - What's your favourite genre of music?

 

What's your favourite genre of music?

Pop 7 10.94%
 
Rock 23 35.94%
 
Metal 14 21.88%
 
Hip-hop/rap 3 4.69%
 
Dance/EDM 5 7.81%
 
Country 1 1.56%
 
Jazz 0 0%
 
Classical 1 1.56%
 
Other 10 15.63%
 
Total:64

Mostly Indie, Alt, Folk... and their sub genre....



 

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Art Rock

Hounds of Love (Side A) is one of my fave record!!!!!!

Cloudbusting is a perfect song!



 

Folks call them "dreampop" and/or "shoegaze", which are varieties of rock. I like music that is chilly, feels ethereal, but that sometimes still has the characteristic energy of rock to it.



Most genres have stuff I like, I have a fairly wide range. However I do prefer Rock, easily, things with good guitar work just sound better. This flows over into Metal on one side, but I draw the line halfway that genre when it becomes too hard, and Blues on the other, where I draw the like when it becomes too Jazzy. Overal I’m born a couple decades too late when music’s concerned. Things made in the 60s, 70s and a bit to a lesser extend 80s are vastly superior to most things from every other decade. But of course good stuff has been made in every decade. The only genre I find dreadful all around is Hip-Hop. I can’t stand that, I mean I can appreciate Eminem because of what he does for some reason and I can also like raps mixed in other genres but the straight up gangsta-style doesn’t qualify as music to me. Because of that the 00s decade was a nightmare for me.



Metallox said:
Folks call them "dreampop" and/or "shoegaze", which are varieties of rock. I like music that is chilly, feels ethereal, but that sometimes still has the characteristic energy of rock to it.

One of the best varieties of rock, IMO.

I see Shoegaze as a logical evolution of power pop and post punk. Merging the two genres, that's what the mid-80s Siouxsie and the Banshees were doing, and much more blatantly what the Cocteau Twins did; and then Shoegaze came from that sound. Power pop itself is more or less the continuation of classic rock with updated production values.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
Jumpin said:

Art Rock

Hounds of Love (Side A) is one of my fave record!!!!!!

Cloudbusting is a perfect song!

It's a brilliant album. Everyone should listen to Kate Bush at least once. I think she's truly one of the most solid icons in the history of popular music. I was debating between that song and this one.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 23 February 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

S.Peelman said:

Most genres have stuff I like, I have a fairly wide range. However I do prefer Rock, easily, things with good guitar work just sound better. This flows over into Metal on one side, but I draw the line halfway that genre when it becomes too hard, and Blues on the other, where I draw the like when it becomes too Jazzy. Overal I’m born a couple decades too late when music’s concerned. Things made in the 60s, 70s and a bit to a lesser extend 80s are vastly superior to most things from every other decade. But of course good stuff has been made in every decade. The only genre I find dreadful all around is Hip-Hop. I can’t stand that, I mean I can appreciate Eminem because of what he does for some reason and I can also like raps mixed in other genres but the straight up gangsta-style doesn’t qualify as music to me. Because of that the 00s decade was a nightmare for me.

Rapping while white.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

In no particular order, I really like punk rock, grunge, EDM, ambience, and chiptunes the most overall, though I'm open to really any genre.



Jaicee said:

In no particular order, I really like punk rock, grunge, EDM, ambience, and chiptunes the most overall, though I'm open to really any genre.

I have a recommendation,

While we're on the topic of Shoegaze, you might like that genre, and Lush. I like to describe them as if Pixies and My Bloody Valentine had a child. This is the lead 1991, For Love, from their album Spooky which released the following year:

Ladykillers is the lead single from their last full album "Lovelife" in 1996 just at the tail-end of the grunge era. It's a different sound from their earlier work, the band was a little angrier and was beginning to feel disenfranchised by the music industry at this time. Often lumped in with Brit Pop, in many ways it is the antithesis of that entire genre (and the band resented the comparison):

They're from the 4AD record label which is/was home to acts like Pixies, The Breeders, Cocteau Twins, St. Vincent, and Grimes (who just released an album: Miss Anthropocene).

Last edited by Jumpin - on 23 February 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

My avatar tells you everything you need to know.



Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.