By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Recent Website Updates

Thanks a lot. This is great. I didn't knew about half of these updates to games. The favorite tracker is new to me, as is the thing about user reviews. Also it is really great to click on Favorites in a game and see which users all have marked it as a favorite.

With all these new stuff, I thought about even more new and shiny stuff (yes, yes, I am greedy).

• With both the 'Agreed with'-Feature and the 'Subscribe thread'-feature the need for useless posts is reduced, the tagged- or +1-posts. But these posts generated VG-points for the thread-starter which are now missing. But probably 'agreed with' should give VG-points to the poster of the post you agree and subscription give points to the thread-starter.
  • Betting in the prediction league could also be an activity which gives you points.
  • Do VG-points do anything besides these levels? Maybe they can give VG$, something like 100 VG$ for each level you clear.
  • Badges could also give you some VG$ as reward. Maybe the amount is different for how difficult these badges are to get.
  • The prediction league now sadly cannot use software sales anymore, but maybe it could be expanded by predicting the Metacritic/Opencritic-score of a new release?
  • I think it would be nice to have the option to gift some of my own VG$ to other users (maybe the price in a bet or something).
  • That said, maybe even a general betting feature could be implemented. Something like the poll-feature on threads, the thread-starter set multiple options and you can choose one, but also drop VG$ on this bet. The VG$ is collected in a pool and at some time the thread-owner decides of the outcome of the bet and the pool is automatically paid out.
  • For official threads it is nice now that moderators can set a new thread-owner. Maybe it would be helpful, if the poster can himself appoint additional editors (so multiple people can edit a post if the original author appoints them).
  • Currently if in an ongoing thread the OP is edited, the author must make a new reply to announce these changes. Maybe the thread can be shown in a new color for OP edited in the forum buddy.
  • The sliders for the game scoring are hard to read in the Blue theme (dark blue on dark grey).
  • Maybe the game score could not use the average but the median for the score, to devalue troll scores.
  • Maybe if you VG$-rich you can buy (or gift) supporter levels for a month for a shitload of VG$.

OK, that is all that randomly came to mind reading about all these improvements. You do great work here on the site, Talon!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

May I add an complaint:

For the last week (couple of weeks) the scrolling works wanky on this site on iPad and iPhone. I do not have this problem on any other sites.

My problem is that the scrolling is ”sticky”, if I do a quick swipe with the finger the scrolling stops instantly when I lift the finger. The normal behaviour is that a qick swipe followed by lifting the finger should keep the page scroling with simulated inertia.

It must be some programming on this site since this site is the only one I visit with this behaviour.

Spindel said:
May I add an complaint:

For the last week (couple of weeks) the scrolling works wanky on this site on iPad and iPhone. I do not have this problem on any other sites.

My problem is that the scrolling is sticky, if I do a quick swipe with the finger the scrolling stops instantly when I lift the finger. The normal behaviour is that a qick swipe followed by lifting the finger should keep the page scroling with simulated inertia.

It must be some programming on this site since this site is the only one I visit with this behaviour.

Not just on Apple mobile devices, anything based on Chromium does have some problems, too. The heather covering the top of the scrollbar got quickly fixed last week, but reloading a page doesn't bring you to the spot you were before anymore since then, and keeps you on the top of the page instead.

RolStoppable said:
Spindel said:
May I add an complaint:

My problem is that the scrolling is sticky, if I do a quick swipe with the finger the scrolling stops instantly when I lift the finger. The normal behaviour is that a qick swipe followed by lifting the finger should keep the page scroling with simulated inertia.

I want to add a few lines to this problem.

I usually browse VGC on my laptop and the scrolling doesn't work the same way it did before. While I can scroll each forum page with the mouse wheel without problems, I cannot move the page up or down with the Page Up/Page Down keys nor the directional keys pn the keyboard, unless I first click with the mouse on empty space on the page. But that defeats the whole purpose of scrolling a page without using the mouse.

Try Shift or Tab to activate the page, after that you should be able to scroll with the direction keys/PgUp/PgDn without touching the mouse.

TalonMan said:
Mnementh said:

Thanks a lot. This is great. I didn't knew about half of these updates to games. The favorite tracker is new to me, as is the thing about user reviews. Also it is really great to click on Favorites in a game and see which users all have marked it as a favorite.

With all these new stuff, I thought about even more new and shiny stuff (yes, yes, I am greedy).

• With both the 'Agreed with'-Feature and the 'Subscribe thread'-feature the need for useless posts is reduced, the tagged- or +1-posts. But these posts generated VG-points for the thread-starter which are now missing. But probably 'agreed with' should give VG-points to the poster of the post you agree and subscription give points to the thread-starter.
  • Betting in the prediction league could also be an activity which gives you points.
  • Do VG-points do anything besides these levels? Maybe they can give VG$, something like 100 VG$ for each level you clear.
  • Badges could also give you some VG$ as reward. Maybe the amount is different for how difficult these badges are to get.
  • The prediction league now sadly cannot use software sales anymore, but maybe it could be expanded by predicting the Metacritic/Opencritic-score of a new release?
  • I think it would be nice to have the option to gift some of my own VG$ to other users (maybe the price in a bet or something).
  • That said, maybe even a general betting feature could be implemented. Something like the poll-feature on threads, the thread-starter set multiple options and you can choose one, but also drop VG$ on this bet. The VG$ is collected in a pool and at some time the thread-owner decides of the outcome of the bet and the pool is automatically paid out.
  • For official threads it is nice now that moderators can set a new thread-owner. Maybe it would be helpful, if the poster can himself appoint additional editors (so multiple people can edit a post if the original author appoints them).
  • Currently if in an ongoing thread the OP is edited, the author must make a new reply to announce these changes. Maybe the thread can be shown in a new color for OP edited in the forum buddy.
  • The sliders for the game scoring are hard to read in the Blue theme (dark blue on dark grey).
  • Maybe the game score could not use the average but the median for the score, to devalue troll scores.
  • Maybe if you VG$-rich you can buy (or gift) supporter levels for a month for a shitload of VG$.

OK, that is all that randomly came to mind reading about all these improvements. You do great work here on the site, Talon!

These are all EXCELLENT suggestions (well, maybe not that last one so much - but all of the other ones are great, and likely wouldn't take much effort). I'll add to my to-do list...

Spindel said:
May I add an complaint:

RolStoppable said:

I usually browse VGC on my laptop and the scrolling doesn't work the same way it did before. While I can scroll each forum page with the mouse wheel without problems, I cannot move the page up or down with the Page Up/Page Down keys nor the directional keys pn the keyboard, unless I first click with the mouse on empty space on the page. But that defeats the whole purpose of scrolling a page without using the mouse.

This is not the first complaint I've heard about the scrolling - though there seems to be some inconsistency between different browsers - I will have to investigate.

I'm most interested in the mobile issue, Spindel - what browser are you using?

I use Safari on both.

TalonMan said:
Spindel said:
May I add an complaint:

RolStoppable said:

This is not the first complaint I've heard about the scrolling - though there seems to be some inconsistency between different browsers - I will have to investigate.

I'm most interested in the mobile issue, Spindel - what browser are you using?

VGC has a couple iframes.  I wonder if one of these iframes or some other hidden scrollable element is taking focus on page load.  Could try an onload window.focus() though that will only likely work after the iframe or scrollable in question has already stolen focus.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
Mnementh said:

These are all EXCELLENT suggestions (well, maybe not that last one so much - but all of the other ones are great, and likely wouldn't take much effort). I'll add to my to-do list...

Well, as I see it the users with the most VG$ on this site have barely made it past 100K. So if one month gold is 100K VG$ and therefore one month silver is 40K and Bronze 25K, this should not be attainable in a month - or even a year. And gives the rich ones a possibility to blow their VG$. But well, was just a suggestion.

Thinking about it, I came up with another idea: over the site sprinkled are some different leaderboards, like for the prediction league and a badge leaderboard. There could be a general leaderboard. It could for each category offer the choice between overall, last year or last month. The categories could be:

• for users: post written, threads started, VG$ earned, VG-Points earned, most 'agreed with' earned, most upvotes on user reviews written by that user, prediction league VG$ won, PL win%, PL accuracy, most answers in threads started by that user, badges
  • for posts: agreed with
  • for threads: answers
  • for user reviews: most upvotes

Along these lines. The most important part is having only one leaderboard and switching between categories or time period (month, year, all time) in one central place.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

That's quite a long list. I knew there had been lots of updates but didn't realize just how many. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Last edited by Zkuq - on 25 April 2019

First of all, I wanna congratulate you for all the hard work you put in and the dedication you've shown. I know how many hours of work all these projects might have taken for you and I admire your tenacity in pushing through all those features (especially since I myself got distracted from some of those projects by shiny objects like new games).

On the topic of the scrolling, I want to add something: on desktop, when I mouse over an avatar in a thread, there's a second scrollbar that appears on the right side and it disappears once my cursor leaves the avatar. It's not a big deal but it can be annoying when scrolling down a page with the cursor lined up with the avatars. 

Edit : It's not only avatar, images in signature do it too.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 25 April 2019

Signature goes here!

Well done, TalonMan. That's quite a lot of work. And thanks to all of those involved in staff and the user community for all the data entry and upkeep. It's good to know the community is strong on the site.

I Luv IT! Awesome recap as well!! I certainly learned of new improvements I did not know existed. I do really, Really, REALLY appreciate the anti-spam guard; just sighting one example.

Excellent hard work with tangible improvements!!