By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Putting Sony’s 4.2 million PSVR sales in context

Huh, I thought this would be a comparison between PSVR, Vive, and Occulus.

Wasn't expecting nonsense.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, he does have one point: VR is not selling very well. In fact, PSVR is still doing the bulk of the sales, though the competition is expected to overtake Sony in the near future:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/671403/global-virtual-reality-device-shipments-by-vendor/

In 2017, PSVR accounted for almost half of all VR sets, while in 2019 it's expected to only sell less than one third, with Oculus apparently catching up fast. But that still accounts to a very small market.

Also, I can't understand their outlook:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/591181/global-augmented-virtual-reality-market-size/

So, the market is stagnant for 4 years now but they expect it to be 10x larger in 2020 than their (already optimistic imo, especially for Oculus) 2019 prediction? Doesn't make much sense to me, but okay I guess?

It's not 2020, it's actually 2022. Two years are just missing. In these two years some miracle happens, the return of Jesus and he plays VR or something along these lines.

That's just a typo, I actually mean to write 2022. Will be corrected right away.

Also, Rol put the correct date when he was quoting me, so I guess it shows who actually check the links and who only reads the posts.

hunter_alien said:
kazuyamishima said:
Kinect launched with Kinect adventures for $150 and at the same time you could snag a Xbox 360 4gb for $200

PSVR launched at $399 with no games/camera. The unit was only available for $199 on holidays 2017 and 2018. If Sony can make a permanent price drop to $199 including one game and the camera they could hit 10 millions easily.

This. + add in the fact that VR in general is a one-man show when played while Eye-toy ripoffs are for party groups. The fact that it will easily do 6 million units, thus becomming the only relevant VR platform is absolutely massive. Next-gen if doen right from day 1 they could sell way more.

All that says is that VR is a failed concept. As predicted.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

So I'm guessing the point of holding up PSVR against 32x, Mega CD and kinect is to show how it has done next to other accessory's that allow new types of games to be played. I get that, and I understand what it attempted to be said with these graphs.

But these are really terrible things to compare PSVR to. The Sega things are two decades old and the Kinect was a pack in item for many 360 SKUs.
Surely the PS2 Eye Toy would be the go-to compassion accessory. It's Sony, it also came out on a popular system and to my knowledge their wasn't an SKU to bundled it in with the system.

I get what you're trying to do and say, but the execution is awful.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

I've been saying the sales have been underwhelming since day 1. It barely outsold the Virtual Boy in the same period of time. Has done better since the price cut, but still well below the infamous flop Wii U. The reply is always "It's a peripheral," like the Kinect didn't sell well.

Around the Network

The value for Sony in the VR space is not in it's install base/volume but in it's exclusivity. Neither Microsoft or Nintendo have shown any real interest or presence in this space leaving Sony VR exclusively; which is a big deal! VR provides Sony with a similar brand effect as having the X1X be the most powerful or Switch being the only hybrid/portable. It doesn't matter how much volume or use per say (as long as it's not too low).

Sony has taken the gamble of investing in the platform and basically replaced all the small experimental exclusives they used to put out with VR stuff instead. It's an interesting move for a platform holder which differentiates them from their competitors.

I think VR kind of helps define their platform/brand as being state of the art and visionary. I am 100% sure Sony are aware of this and will continue VR support for the branding alone.

d21lewis said:
Peripherals always limit potential because you have to own the original device and then be one of the few from that subset willing to purchase a secondary device. I applaud Sony for doing as well as they did with the PSVR, being a "day one" owner myself.

I'd like to see how other peripherals compare like Wii Fit Balance Board and Eye Toy (despite them being much much cheaper). Even when they sell extremely well, there's pretty much always a point where all support just disappears. That hasn't been the case with PSVR yet.

PSVR is benefitting from being a device that doesn't require games built specifically for it. Its just one of many VR devices.

Something like Kinect or Balanced Board primarily needed games designed for the hardware.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I wonder how many PSVR Aim controllers were sold so far (a peripheral for a peripheral)...

https://www.roadtovr.com/psvr-aim-games-support-compatibility/

Comapring PSVR to other headset sales just shows that VR as a whole is failing. Its going to go the way of 3D.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

the-pi-guy said:
flashfire926 said:
Comapring PSVR to other headset sales just shows that VR as a whole is failing. Its going to go the way of 3D.

It really isn't going the way of 3D.  

All the VR companies understand that VR is still a ways out.  VR isn't going anywhere.  

VR is Oculus's sole reason for existence.  HTC has largely become a VR company.  Sony just a few months ago was talking about the improvements VR is going over the next 10 years.  

Good VR and especially Great VR probably will be always out of reach for the mainstream. the last 30 years it always repeat. You have some great VR experiences but they are expensive for the mainstream.  And if you get VR that gets cheap it doesn't work with the best games that people want to play now.