By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Putting Sony’s 4.2 million PSVR sales in context

Hiku said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
This post is kind of painful. I thought most people had basic logic to think 'yeah this comparison doesn't make much sense'.

Mortal Kombat X sold 11m copies.
The Lion King sold over 100 million copies.

Therefor Mortal Kombat X's sales are not good.
Very simple logic.

Hahaha yes. I stand corrected ;) 

PS4(PS5 Soon)and PC gaming

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Peripherals always limit potential because you have to own the original device and then be one of the few from that subset willing to purchase a secondary device. I applaud Sony for doing as well as they did with the PSVR, being a "day one" owner myself.

I'd like to see how other peripherals compare like Wii Fit Balance Board and Eye Toy (despite them being much much cheaper). Even when they sell extremely well, there's pretty much always a point where all support just disappears. That hasn't been the case with PSVR yet.

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:
Peripherals always limit potential because you have to own the original device and then be one of the few from that subset willing to purchase a secondary device. I applaud Sony for doing as well as they did with the PSVR, being a "day one" owner myself.

I'd like to see how other peripherals compare like Wii Fit Balance Board and Eye Toy (despite them being much much cheaper). Even when they sell extremely well, there's pretty much always a point where all support just disappears. That hasn't been the case with PSVR yet.

judging by the sales of Wii Fit and Wii Fit+ I think the balance board could be in the ~30m units range, the original PS2 Eye Toy afaik ended up selling slightly north of 10m

both had very shoddy software support from what I remember and that's probably also an expression of their pretty drastic limitations

The major VR headsets combined are outpaced by the Wii U. While some people may dismiss such a comparison because different things are compared, the key point is that it's ultimately a question of "Is the installed base big enough to develop games for it?"

The Wii U was a failure and it still got games. There are still VR games in development, but that doesn't mean that VR is on a healthy path. Prices for VR headsets have dropped significantly in less than three years, so it should become more apparent that price isn't really that much of an obstacle for VR. Disinterest in the whole idea is the biggest problem that VR faces, so the remaining hope is that the technology needs to get better in order for VR to establish itself as a sustainable niche in the video game market.

That's actually quite similar to 3D. If we look at the 3DS, it went through the same stages as VR:

1. It's the next hot thing.
2. It doesn't sell well because the price is too high.
3. It's seeing better sales now that the price got reduced.
4. It's still not able to sell at a satisfactory level despite the reduced price.
5. Launch better technology.
6. Another short term boost.
7. Is the whole thing worth the time and investment?

That's the question at the end of the day for hardware and software makers alike. When it comes to 3D, we already have the answer: Switch has no 3D screen nor support for 3D TVs.

I'd like to see VR continue on PlayStation.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Where is a chart showin* the rate of sales for PSVR? Probably hard to make since Sony likely mentions sales once or twice per fiscal year. My impression is VR IS tapering off, bu5 maybe I am wrong

Around the Network
couchmonkey said:
Where is a chart showin* the rate of sales for PSVR? Probably hard to make since Sony likely mentions sales once or twice per fiscal year. My impression is VR IS tapering off, bu5 maybe I am wrong

These are sell-through numbers announced by Sony:

• 130 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 915,000 headsets (~7K/day) (Source)
  • 417 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 2 million headsets (~4.8K/day) (Source)
  • 673 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 3 million headsets (~4.5K/day) (Source)
  • 872 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 4.2 million headsets (~4.8K/day) (Source)

Requires some maths to be done in order to determine which timeframes include how many days of the holiday quarter. What's certain is that the most recent timeframe included a good holiday deal with the headset being priced at $199.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

What's the VR attach rate on Xbox?

Kill ps vita and embraced ps vr... only sony do that things.

I'm glad the OP actually brought some common sense to this discussion.  VR is always going to be a niche at best.  There are some very vocal defenders of this niche though who can make excuses forever.  If the VR is high quality, then they can always say "it costs too much".  If the VR is at a low cost, then the defenders can say "the quality is too low".  There is always an excuse.  The idea that VR will ever become mainstream is itself a "virtual reality".  In actual reality it will always be a niche.

RolStoppable said:
The major VR headsets combined are outpaced by the Wii U. While some people may dismiss such a comparison because different things are compared, the key point is that it's ultimately a question of "Is the installed base big enough to develop games for it?"

The Wii U was a failure and it still got games. There are still VR games in development, but that doesn't mean that VR is on a healthy path. Prices for VR headsets have dropped significantly in less than three years, so it should become more apparent that price isn't really that much of an obstacle for VR. Disinterest in the whole idea is the biggest problem that VR faces, so the remaining hope is that the technology needs to get better in order for VR to establish itself as a sustainable niche in the video game market.

Your last point there is essentially why I dismiss the comparison between VR headsets and something like a console.

Even when comparing one console to another, the desired install base to warrant a certain amount of software support may be X for one console, and Y for another. Due to their varying circumstances, which include things like cost, age, and technology.

Wii was extremely successful, sold more than PS3/360 and quicker, but was discontinued before them and didn't receive most of their big third party support.
If there was a certain install base number that would convince Capcom to put Resident Evil 5 on Wii, it would probably be exponentially higher than what it needed to be for PS3/360.

When it comes to VR headsets, the circumstances are far more different than between one console to another. So for that reason I don't find those comparisons interesting.

Last edited by Hiku - on 05 April 2019