By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and Switch sales comparison: some things to consider

Train wreck said:
Shiken said:

Had the competition not dropped the ball, they would have likely sold closer to PS3 lifetime.  Believe what you want, but X1 had a lot of momentum until that reveal.

And no, I do not agree with the OP trying to downplay PS4 sales using Pro sales as an excuse, just like I do not agree with you claiming the Switch had it easier than the PS4 when anyone can see that the Switch had more factors against it than the PS4 did at launch.  Stop twisting my words because you can't make a decent argument to support your claims.

The PS4 being better in every way than the PS3 would have meant that the PS4 would have sold more lifetime.  How many different ways do people need to explain that.

Yes, PS4 being better in nearly every way over PS3 would have made it outsell PS3 regardless but at the same time if Nintendo & Microsoft hadn't messed up so poorly with Wii U & XBO (MS has fixed most of its early issues but the damage was already done) than it would have very likely sold a good deal less than it currently has.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Train wreck said:

The PS4 being better in every way than the PS3 would have meant that the PS4 would have sold more lifetime.  How many different ways do people need to explain that.

Yes, PS4 being better in nearly every way over PS3 would have made it outsell PS3 regardless but at the same time if Nintendo & Microsoft hadn't messed up so poorly with Wii U & XBO (MS has fixed most of its early issues but the damage was already done) than it would have very likely sold a good deal less than it currently has.

Sigh....What numbers are we talking about?  The PS4 selling 120M instead of 130M?  At that point its just unnecessary nitpicking.

It's actually quite simple, the PS4 did everything right (hardware, pricing, features) AND both the competitors made critical mistakes which resulted in the amazing success the PS4 has had. If one of these two factors hadn't been in play, the PS4 would have sold less than it did. It's just as wrong to pretend that the failures of MS and Nintendo had nothing to do with the PS4's success that it would be to pretend that the PS4 sold well only because of the competition failed.

Signature goes here!

Since we are on the subject I think its disingenuous to combine Game Boy and Game Boy Color sales. They are practically 2 different platforms. There is way more of a difference between the GBC and the GB than the PS4 and Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Train wreck said:
Shiken said:

Had the competition not dropped the ball, they would have likely sold closer to PS3 lifetime.  Believe what you want, but X1 had a lot of momentum until that reveal.

And no, I do not agree with the OP trying to downplay PS4 sales using Pro sales as an excuse, just like I do not agree with you claiming the Switch had it easier than the PS4 when anyone can see that the Switch had more factors against it than the PS4 did at launch.  Stop twisting my words because you can't make a decent argument to support your claims.

The PS3 was better than the PS2 in everyway, but did it even break 100 mil?

You seriously need to have a logic check, because you just described the difference between console generations and tried to relate it to guaranteed sales lol.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
zorg1000 said:

Sigh....What numbers are we talking about?  The PS4 selling 120M instead of 130M?  At that point its just unnecessary nitpicking.

Why are you sighing?

Impossible to know for sure but considering that PS2+XB, PS3+360 and PS4+XBO are all going to sell roughly the same amount than we can make a safe conclusion that the more one sells, the less the other will sell.

If XBO didn't have such a terrible PR disaster at the beginning of the generation than maybe it would finish the gen around 70m instead of the 50-55m its headed for so PS4 would likely sell something like ~110m instead of the 125-130m its headed for.

Who knows, my only point was that Sony making good choices wasnt the only thing that has helped PS4 sell so well but also MS making terrible choices with XBO.

The same thing applies to other generations. 360 was able to steal a huge amount of the PS2 audience not only because it was a good console but also because Sony made huge mistakes with PS3 early on that took a long time to overcome.

Another example, PS1 was such a huge hit not only because it was a good console but also because Nintendo essentially handed them all 3rd party support by going with cartridges and Sega in general was an absolute mess at the time.

History has shown that it's not enough to just make a good console if you want to steal your competitors audience,, they also need to make mistakes in order for their fanbase to Switch sides.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Signalstar said:
Since we are on the subject I think its disingenuous to combine Game Boy and Game Boy Color sales. They are practically 2 different platforms. There is way more of a difference between the GBC and the GB than the PS4 and Pro.

I tend to agree but Nintendo blocks them together as a single generation and we dont have exact sales for each of them so even if we wanted to seperate them it would be pretty difficult.

TruckOSaurus said:

It's actually quite simple, the PS4 did everything right (hardware, pricing, features) AND both the competitors made critical mistakes which resulted in the amazing success the PS4 has had. If one of these two factors hadn't been in play, the PS4 would have sold less than it did. It's just as wrong to pretend that the failures of MS and Nintendo had nothing to do with the PS4's success that it would be to pretend that the PS4 sold well only because of the competition failed.

Exactly, history has shown that it takes more than just making a good console to steal sales from your competitor, they also need to make mistakes to make the fanbase switch to the new console.

Nintendo making huge mistakes paved the way for Playstation to become such a hit. Sony making huge mistakes allowed 360 to steal half of the PS2 audience. Microsft making huge mistakes allowed Sony to steal back most of the audience 360 stole.

Shiken said:
Train wreck said:

You seriously need to have a logic check, because you just described the difference between console generations and tried to relate it to guaranteed sales lol.

Everyway?  Last time I checked, the PS2 definitely had a more appealing price point world wide, I don't know about 2013 but back in 2001, price was a huge determining factor in console sales.

Last edited by Train wreck - on 02 April 2019

Train wreck said:
Shiken said:

Everyway?  Last time I checked, the PS2 definitely had a more appealing price point world wide, I don't know about 2013 but back in 2001, price was a huge determining factor in console sales.

Agreed here, $599 was an absurd price to release a console in 2006 and telling people to get a second job was pouring gas on the fire.