By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and Switch sales comparison: some things to consider

The ps4 didnt have it easier because it had more competition than what the switch had at launch. Isnt the switch the only gen 9 system and that its also the only system that is also portable?

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
The ps4 didnt have it easier because it had more competition than what the switch had at launch. Isnt the switch the only gen 9 system and that its also the only system that is also portable?

I literally just explained to you how that's not true. PS4 sold 20 million in 2017, the year Switch released. Thats nearly twice as much as Wii U+XBO sold in 2014, PS4's first year on the market.

Generations are arbitrary and mean nothing to the general consumer. You compare the primary consoles that are on the market at a given time.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ok if gen means nothing then ps4 still didnt have it easier. Ps4 had to contend with a 1 year old wii u and xbox one on basically the same date. Switch had to contend with 4 year old ps4 and xbox one. Its not ps4 fault that the wii u and xbox one screwed up and that Ps4 was doing everything right

Pinkie_pie said:
Ok if gen means nothing then ps4 still didnt have it easier. Ps4 had to contend with a 1 year old wii u and xbox one on basically the same date. Switch had to contend with 4 year old ps4 and xbox one. Its not ps4 fault that the wii u and xbox one screwed up and that Ps4 was doing everything right

Who cares how old Wii U & XBO were, they were selling like shit.

You are deflecting and making up things as you go. Strong selling consoles are greater competition than poor selling consoles, age is irrelevant in this regard.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Whatever dude. Ps4 sold well because it had a reasonable price at launch and the games that were coming thats why people chose to buy it over wii u and xbox one. Ps4 didnt have it easy. They had to work for it. Its also the reason why switch sold well at launch too. As long as Playstation or nintendo do these things it will sell itself no matter the competition.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Whatever dude. Ps4 sold well because it had a reasonable price at launch and the games that were coming thats why people chose to buy it over wii u and xbox one. Ps4 didnt have it easy. They had to work for it. Its also the reason why switch sold well at launch too. As long as Playstation or nintendo do these things it will sell itself no matter the competition.

What? You were the one who brought up the "PS4 had more competition" argument, don't try acting like you weren't the one downplaying.

Yes as long as a console is priced correctly, has a great lineup of games, appealing features and strong marketing than it should sell well regardless of competition.

Don't worry, Switch will get its redesign and massively inflate the sales numbers soon enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pinkie_pie said:
So the switch had to contend with the ps4 pro made it tougher than when the ps4 released? Wii u was only a year old and was selling decently. Ps4 also released on the same date as the xbox one so that alone made it harder for the ps4 than what the switch had to contend with at launched. You two are nintendo fans so of course you would think ps4 had it easier than the switch

I have not played a Nintendo console for other than Zelda since the N64, so you must be new.  I am someone who has been an avid Playstation fan since the PS2 and not only got a PS4 at launch, but upgraded to the Pro.  I started playing my Switch more because I like what it brings to the table, which is far more than the PS4 did in its first two years.  But please, go on about how I am a fanboy as you imply.  I find it comical to say the very least.

As someone who has actually been part of both launches, I can tell you for a fact that the PS4 had it easy.  When the competition shoots themselves in the foot right out of the gate, your argument falls flat.  The only thing you are proving with your comments is why your comments should be ignored as you try to make a point that does not exist on a regular basis.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

What are you people even yapping about? What is this supposed to prove? Every launch has thousands of big and small factors that come into play in the background, it's absolutely futile to try and compare who had it "easier" than the other. The products themselves are different, everything is different. Come on.

So what if you been part of both launches. I had a wii u so I didnt buy a ps4 until ratchet and clank but i bought the switch a few days after it launched because it was the only gaming portable at that time and still is. You keep saying ps4 had it easier because the competition screwed up but dont you consider ps4 also did things right. It had great games coming, good marketing and well priced. A Playstation console is always gonna sell well with all that no matter the competition