Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and Switch sales comparison: some things to consider

KLAMarine said:
leo-j said:
PS4 was $399 it's first three years. Base PS4 now is $299 without a game. PS4 PRO which is the main model now is $399.99.

Also, Wii started better than both, and it fell off like a rock after 2010. With nexgen approaching, I don't see the switch doing crazy numbers once it reaches 65 million,

"PS4 was $399 it's first three years"

Yes and not up against considerable competition.

So the XBOX ONE, PC, and 3DS/WIIU aren't competition. 



 

mM
Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
zorg1000 said:
I think all these points are irrelevant.

I think I should have made clear that often times, I see some impressed by the PS4's sales. One can see this going through http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239744.

For whatever reason however, no potential caveats are ever brought up. I have yet to see any mention of PS4 and PS4 Pro sales figures being lumped in together for example.

The point is why would anyone care about different models of the same console being lumped together.  I would like a breakdown, but that wouldn't change my perception that PS4 is still on par, so far, with NSW on weekly hardware sales.

Are you trying to say something about actual install base? Like 94m PS4s might be actually smaller cause some PS4 owners have both this or that SKU?  Id counter with how many NSW owners have multiple in the household because kids and portability.  When the Switch has new SKUs how many sales will go to households that already own one or more?  How can we possibly break this down into knowable double dippers?  Want an asterisk?  I guess won't change most peoples opinions.  

This is why we have hardware _and_ software.  The software is the real story in terms of money potential.  Of course software stats on this site are kinda neutered now.

Last edited by dharh - on 04 April 2019

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.



leo-j said:
KLAMarine said:

"PS4 was $399 it's first three years"

Yes and not up against considerable competition.

So the XBOX ONE, PC, and 3DS/WIIU aren't competition. 

They are competition just not considerable competition save for PC but PC has just about always been relevant.

dharh said:
KLAMarine said:

I think I should have made clear that often times, I see some impressed by the PS4's sales. One can see this going through http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239744.

For whatever reason however, no potential caveats are ever brought up. I have yet to see any mention of PS4 and PS4 Pro sales figures being lumped in together for example.

The point is why would anyone care about different models of the same console being lumped together.  I would like a breakdown, but that wouldn't change my perception that PS4 is still on par, so far, with NSW on weekly hardware sales.

Are you trying to say something about actual install base? Like 94m PS4s might be actually smaller cause some PS4 owners have both this or that SKU?  Id counter with how many NSW owners have multiple in the household because kids and portability.  When the Switch has new SKUs how many sales will go to households that already own one or more?  How can we possibly break this down into knowable double dippers?  Want an asterisk?  I guess won't change most peoples opinions.  

This is why we have hardware _and_ software.  The software is the real story in terms of money potential.  Of course software stats on this site are kinda neutered now.

I'm just wondering why, when tallying up PS4 sales and comparing them to Switch sales, the existence of alternate PS4 models is never considered.



leo-j said:
KLAMarine said:

"PS4 was $399 it's first three years"

Yes and not up against considerable competition.

So the XBOX ONE, PC, and 3DS/WIIU aren't competition. 

He said "considerable" competition.  The X1 shit themselves in the foot out of the gate and the WiiU had already been mismanaged to hell and back.  PC has always been PC, and not really something that affects the launch of a console because PC will never have the same seasonal rush that console does.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Shiken said:
leo-j said:

So the XBOX ONE, PC, and 3DS/WIIU aren't competition. 

He said "considerable" competition.  The X1 shit themselves in the foot out of the gate and the WiiU had already been mismanaged to hell and back.  PC has always been PC, and not really something that affects the launch of a console because PC will never have the same seasonal rush that console does.

I've never shit myself in the foot but its sounds awful.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Shiken said:

He said "considerable" competition.  The X1 shit themselves in the foot out of the gate and the WiiU had already been mismanaged to hell and back.  PC has always been PC, and not really something that affects the launch of a console because PC will never have the same seasonal rush that console does.

I've never shit myself in the foot but its sounds awful.

Lmao, you know what?  Its a typo, but it still fits.  Ima leave it!



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

KLAMarine said:
leo-j said:

So the XBOX ONE, PC, and 3DS/WIIU aren't competition. 

They are competition just not considerable competition save for PC but PC has just about always been relevant.

dharh said:

The point is why would anyone care about different models of the same console being lumped together.  I would like a breakdown, but that wouldn't change my perception that PS4 is still on par, so far, with NSW on weekly hardware sales.

Are you trying to say something about actual install base? Like 94m PS4s might be actually smaller cause some PS4 owners have both this or that SKU?  Id counter with how many NSW owners have multiple in the household because kids and portability.  When the Switch has new SKUs how many sales will go to households that already own one or more?  How can we possibly break this down into knowable double dippers?  Want an asterisk?  I guess won't change most peoples opinions.  

This is why we have hardware _and_ software.  The software is the real story in terms of money potential.  Of course software stats on this site are kinda neutered now.

I'm just wondering why, when tallying up PS4 sales and comparing them to Switch sales, the existence of alternate PS4 models is never considered.

It is considered.  The consideration is that they are lumped together rather than uselessly splitting them apart.  The total sales are higher by x amount, even taking trying to take into account sales going to owners of other SKUs.

What other considerations are you wanting discussed?  You havn't really explained what you think the consideration should be.  That the install base of the PS4 is not nearly as big as the hardware 'sales' number would have us expect it to be? 

There are PS4s that were bought and have been sold to re-sellers already.  Same with Switches.  What about consideration for those?



A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.



To anyone discussing double dips from PS4 or Switch, just look at SW sales. That will be more reliable on to show you how healthy and userbase size. But don't look at only top 10 sellers, look at total SW sold and if ratio is over 10 SW per HW. That will show PS4 isn't much different in double dipping then any other relevant console, Switch is still a little new to make this type of conclusion, but I would infer that it is much less double dipping than HH from Nintendo.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

dharh said:
KLAMarine said:

They are competition just not considerable competition save for PC but PC has just about always been relevant.

I'm just wondering why, when tallying up PS4 sales and comparing them to Switch sales, the existence of alternate PS4 models is never considered.

It is considered.  The consideration is that they are lumped together rather than uselessly splitting them apart.  The total sales are higher by x amount, even taking trying to take into account sales going to owners of other SKUs.

What other considerations are you wanting discussed?  You havn't really explained what you think the consideration should be.  That the install base of the PS4 is not nearly as big as the hardware 'sales' number would have us expect it to be? 

There are PS4s that were bought and have been sold to re-sellers already.  Same with Switches.  What about consideration for those?

I guess what I'm looking for is if the two are to be compared, we should try to account for as many differences as there are. Of course, some are insurmountable but the existence of different versions of the PS4 versus there being only one version of the Switch is one that may very well be surmounted come the end of the year. Until then, the PS4 has that advantage over the Switch: a Pro can convince someone who already owns a PS4 to buy another PS4 console.

And as said originally, the 3DS and Nintendo mini consoles could potentially lure people away from a Switch purchase.



This thread was an interesting read and I learned quite a bit on how some people view the sales of certain systems. Very good stuff



The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23