By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and Switch sales comparison: some things to consider

leo-j said:
Also, Wii started better than both, and it fell off like a rock after 2010. With nexgen approaching, I don't see the switch doing crazy numbers once it reaches 65 million,

Wii was selling to a casual/non-traditional audience so once the novelty wore off sales plummeted. That doesnt apply to Switch since it is selling to a more hardcore/traditional gaming audience.

Next-gen is irrelevant, if PS4/XBO & NSW have had no notable affect on each others sales than there is no reason to believe PS5/XB4 & NSW will all of a sudden start harming each other.

Switch will likely start to decline around the time PS5/XB4 launch but that will be due to a natural sales curve rather than outside factors coming into play.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
leo-j said:
Also, Wii started better than both, and it fell off like a rock after 2010. With nexgen approaching, I don't see the switch doing crazy numbers once it reaches 65 million,

Wii was selling to a casual/non-traditional audience so once the novelty wore off sales plummeted. That doesnt apply to Switch since it is selling to a more hardcore/traditional gaming audience.

Next-gen is irrelevant, if PS4/XBO & NSW have had no notable affect on each others sales than there is no reason to believe PS5/XB4 & NSW will all of a sudden start harming each other.

Switch will likely start to decline around the time PS5/XB4 launch but that will be due to a natural sales curve rather than outside factors coming into play.

Mhm 3 years into the generation, PS4 sales were peaking, and they stayed really high the following year. By the time PS5 comes out it would be switch year 3. That's a pretty pre mature sales decline. 

mM
leo-j said:
zorg1000 said:

Mhm 3 years into the generation, PS4 sales were peaking, and they stayed really high the following year. By the time PS5 comes out it would be switch year 3. That's a pretty pre mature sales decline. 

Year 4, Switch released in March 2017, it's in year 3 now. A 3rd year peak followed by a small decline in year 4 is a pretty normal sales curve.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
leo-j said:

Year 4, Switch released in March 2017, it's in year 3 now. A 3rd year peak followed by a small decline in year 4 is a pretty normal sales curve.

2013 2014 2015 2016 2017(peak year 5) 2018(sustained peak) year 6

ps4 peaked year 5/6 

so switch peaking in year 4 is pre mature. 

mM
leo-j said:
zorg1000 said:

2013 2014 2015 2016 2017(peak year 5) 2018(sustained peak) year 6

ps4 peaked year 5/6 

so switch peaking in year 4 is pre mature. 

It released in mid-November so counting 2013 as year 1 makes literally no sense at all. Also 2018 had a 10% decline, that's not "sustaining its peak", thats a decline.

Besides, who cares when PS4 peaked? It had a later than normal peak, good for it but peaking in year 3 or 4 has been a very common thing for consoles.

What are you getting out of making nonsense arguments?

Around the Network
leo-j said:
PS4 was $399 it's first three years. Base PS4 now is $299 without a game. PS4 PRO which is the main model now is $399.99.

"PS4 was $399 it's first three years"

Yes and not up against considerable competition.

KLAMarine said:
Azuren said:
It's true the PS4 has a Pro model, which could sell to current PS4 owners, but the Switch offers a different kind of sales advantage to Nintendo.

Consider if you will my nephews. They share between them an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a PS4. Then they each have a Switch. Households where consoles are shared between kids are more likely to have multiple Switches than they are multiple PS4s due to the Switch's portable nature.

Yes, it's true that Switch's mobility provides incentive to own more than one but I will also say that its function as a console provides incentive not to own more than one. A Switch can be played by more than one person, a 3DS cannot.

I'll give you there's less incentive to own multiple than, say, a 3DS. But like you said, there's still more incentive to own multiple than a PS4. Anecdotally, when I was doing Christmas shopping for my nephews the year we got them their Switches I initially insisted on one for them to share. When my mom found out what the Switch was, my explanations didn't matter. To her, it was a handheld that docked to a TV, and as such each of them needed one for themselves.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
KLAMarine said:

Yes, it's true that Switch's mobility provides incentive to own more than one but I will also say that its function as a console provides incentive not to own more than one. A Switch can be played by more than one person, a 3DS cannot.

I'll give you there's less incentive to own multiple than, say, a 3DS. But like you said, there's still more incentive to own multiple than a PS4. Anecdotally, when I was doing Christmas shopping for my nephews the year we got them their Switches I initially insisted on one for them to share. When my mom found out what the Switch was, my explanations didn't matter. To her, it was a handheld that docked to a TV, and as such each of them needed one for themselves.

I agree with you. If a 3DS is a 1 in the "own more than one" factor, a Switch is a .5 and a PS4 is a 0... If we were to assign numbers to this.

KLAMarine said:
leo-j said:
PS4 was $399 it's first three years. Base PS4 now is $299 without a game. PS4 PRO which is the main model now is $399.99.

"PS4 was $399 it's first three years"

Yes and not up against considerable competition.

So the XBOX ONE, PC, and 3DS/WIIU aren't competition. 

mM
KLAMarine said:
zorg1000 said:
I think all these points are irrelevant.

I think I should have made clear that often times, I see some impressed by the PS4's sales. One can see this going through http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239744.

For whatever reason however, no potential caveats are ever brought up. I have yet to see any mention of PS4 and PS4 Pro sales figures being lumped in together for example.

The point is why would anyone care about different models of the same console being lumped together.  I would like a breakdown, but that wouldn't change my perception that PS4 is still on par, so far, with NSW on weekly hardware sales.

Are you trying to say something about actual install base? Like 94m PS4s might be actually smaller cause some PS4 owners have both this or that SKU?  Id counter with how many NSW owners have multiple in the household because kids and portability.  When the Switch has new SKUs how many sales will go to households that already own one or more?  How can we possibly break this down into knowable double dippers?  Want an asterisk?  I guess won't change most peoples opinions.  

This is why we have hardware _and_ software.  The software is the real story in terms of money potential.  Of course software stats on this site are kinda neutered now.

Last edited by dharh - on 04 April 2019

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.