By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

Nah, I was born with a job.

Around the Network

I did. Twice, in fact.

The first time, the Luxembourgish Government came to rescue. They have a program where they put people wo have a very hard time to get a job into a work group, generally under the local government, and have to make the same works than them: picking up trash, de-icing the walkways, cutting the hedges, trimming the lawn and picking up the fallen leaves of communal terrain (like in parks or graveyards, for instance). You still have to present yourself at the employment office once a month and work with them to find a final job, though. You get paid minimum wage, but unlike the jobless minimum income you don't have to pay it back afterwards since you certifiably worked for your money.

Then, I emigrated to the Philippines to marry my wife, and had a hard time finding a work there. Different language aside, the employment culture was radically different and that made it very hard to find a job there.

So my solution was to look for a job online, and I did a short while ago. Now I'm a Luxembourger in the Philippines working for a French company making English and German translations.

So my question to you, dark Lord, is this one: What skills do you have? Accounting is something that could in theory be done from home, so how about trying that in the meanwhile?

Have you tried Freelancer? I found work through this website, so maybe it's worth a try for you, too. There are other similar websites, so if you can't find work on one maybe try the next one.

Since you went through all the higher education, maybe you can reverse it and teach what you learned to other people through a Platform like Skillshare or Udemy? Accounting a rather crowded field and you need some video editing skills for the teaching videos, but it can be worth a try.

And my final advice: Don't give up. That's not worth it. You can see for yourself here, you can get help and advice everywhere, you just need to have the guts to ask and do away with your pride, but you will feel better afterwards.

I was unemployed for a full year.
A good advice to give young people is that they shall keep their education, but enter the market either while on college or as soon as they finish. Do the extra courses and specializations after depending on your job instead of becoming over qualified but unexperienced.

You can always try to open your own business as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Yes when i first started working,i moved from my parents house to a hired appartment and at that time i was much more impulsive so that is not a great asset to have as an autist but the end of my relationship caused me to fall into depression(also has to do with the damn autism) and i stupidly stopped going to work.

Pemalite said:

Yeah. Not falling for your pity party if that is what you are hoping, there is tons of work available.

Everything you have complained about is essentially your own fault, starting being proactive, take charge of your own life, get professional help.

I must agree with you on this.

The complaining he does is highly used to get attention and he somehow uses that to justify his state of being without feeling the need to better his situation and that is shown in how he rarely seems to take in our comments personal but sees us as a collective and responds mostly as talking to a collective.

I do really wish him the best but it would be nice if he removes the wall between himself and the public so the info needed to help himself with can reach him in first place.

Around the Network

Expand your search beyond immediately accessible areas. Generally if a company wants you, they will offer to pay moving expenses.

I was unemployed for about 5 months. The first month was great - almost like a pseudo-retirement. Then as I realized it wasn't going to be so easy to find another job in my industry, it began to cause a bit of panic. Obtaining interviews was simple, the opportunities were quite decent. But either I wasn't an ideal candidate, or the interviewers were clueless about what they wanted.

Still though, without any experience you should be jumping at any opportunity even semi-related to your degree.

I know the feeling. After graduating college, I spent 6 months looking for a job and the lack of work experience was my Achilles' heel (I always did great in the job interview). I was getting depressed and felt that my 8 years of education were worthless. I finally got a job but as an Administrative Assistant (I studied accounting).

After nearly three years working there, I got tired of the working conditions ($7.25 hourly wage, and doing task not corresponding to my position and salary) and I decided to change jobs. That was another year of searching. People that say that searching for jobs is easy haven't lived in Puerto Rico. Employment and Wages are bad in here. I finally got a great job as an Accountant and Internal Auditor but it was thanks to a friend.

EricHiggin said:

Went to school for a trade, took me close to 2 years to find a job. Same problem. Everyone wanted experience, but nobody was wiling to take me on. Most of them also told me to come back after a few years and they would treat me and pay me better than wherever I found work. This was also when the economy was quite good before the 08 collapse. What a bunch of slime balls. They wanted everything for nothing. That's not how the world works. I never went back to any of them.

I ended up getting a job in my field, only because of coincidence and an old family connection, even though the individual from that company wasn't tied to my family in any manner. It wasn't what I was looking for at all. It was at the very bottom of the list within the industry. Always outside in the heat and cold, rain or shine. Lot's of manual labor, enough to leave you sore and dead tired at the end of the day. 12-14 hours per day, 6-7 days a week. Always on the road for weeks at a time and never being home. Pay that wasn't all that much higher than minimum wage at the time. It sucked, but in the end, was totally worth it.

Due to the 08 collapse, plenty of people I worked with over the years had no intentions whatsoever of ending up in the trades, and were headed in completely different directions prior, but things don't always work out the way you think or are told, and that's just life. Some of them downright hated the work, couldn't stand it, but they didn't have a lot of choice. Now most of them, after a few years or more of any OT they could get their hands on, and as much saving as possible, used that for more schooling to head in yet another direction that they felt was more likely to work out in the future.

The world isn't made to cater to you or anyone, you have to cater to the world. That's how it works. If you want to be wealthy, respected, etc, you need to find a way to cater to as many people as possible, as efficiently as possible. This doesn't happen overnight, and the world makes you work for it, unless your born rich or have connections of course. You also gain experience and respect that you never would otherwise by starting at the bottom. That, and the people at the middle or top who've already worked their way up there, aren't giving it up for you, and if you want it, your going to have to earn it and take it, that's for sure.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, isn't just some random saying. People have to do whatever they need to, to survive, and to thrive. Anyone who is under the impression that the working world is going to welcome you with open arms and hand you the keys to the castle are dead wrong. Human beings are animals as well and take what they can get, based on how strong and intelligent they are. As much as it sucks, and as depressing as it can be, you have to come to the realization that you will always work for the world, and it will never work for you, unless you invent something awesome or end up a CEO down the road, then you truly call the shots, but definitely don't count on it.

*I should also mention during those 2 years I was looking for work, I worked on the family farm. Farming during the spring, summer, fall, and logging during the winter. Mostly manual labor at minimum wage as well. No riding in the tractor all day, no family bonus. My parents made sure I understood what it was like to start at the bottom and how much it sucked, and it helped me to realize what it was worth to try even harder and better myself to get to a place where I didn't have to worry eventually.

"The world isn't made to cater to you or anyone, you have to cater to the world"

I couldn't agree more.

We live in a world of "what do you want to be when you grow up? -- Librarian -- Astronaut -- Whatever dream I have". The thing is, the world doesn't need more of your dream profession. Then the person never gets a job and get pissed and upset or ask for communism.

We need to teach our children that even though they need to look for something they rather like, they also need to look for something the world round them needs. Not everyone can have a dream job. Job is job, you can have your fun after 8-5.

PS: My reply is not to the OP.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I did for about 6 months after my PhD. Way overqualified for odd jobs unless it was a favour for family and it took a while to find something relevant.

I don't know what your field is but if you can't find anything at the moment then have you thought about self-employment or even a side hustle whilst you're looking? Even doing something that's not getting you paid but keeping your skills fresh (GitHub, blog, artist portfolio, writing etc.). Anything that you can then pop on your CV to show an extra level of passion for the subject matter and that employers can look at to help you stick out. More importantly, it keeps your mind busy on things other than your job search which keeps you sane.

Don't forget about Grad fairs and get your name out there as much as possible via networking. Remember that nearly all job roles now touch LinkedIn so make sure your profile looks good and that you've put plenty of keywords so your name will come up when recruiters search for you. If you find a good recruitment agent then they can also help with interview prep.

Also, Coursera and Udemy have plenty of extra courses to add extra value to your CV.

Good luck and don't forget that nearly everyone tends to have a patch like this, especially after completing education.

When I graduated from college, I could not get a job in the field I went to school for at all. Hell, I was working at Lowes putting lumber in people's trucks or dry wall. The thing is that you will need to take whatever job you can get to pay the bills and keep things moving but always look out for the job in your profession. You have to be diligent and it may take years before you get that chance but the key is that when the chance comes you are prepared and ready to jump right in.

It took me 2 years before I found an entry level development job after college. Even during that time, I continue to add to my resume by attending classes for specific stuff and gaining certifications. I moved from Lowes, to a support job at Microsoft to assembly worker at IBM to development job at a paint company to developer at a software company. Each time, I found ways to continue my education and be prepared so when the opportunity did come, I could move up.

Even today, I continue to keep myself educated in up and coming tech so that even if I leave the job I am at, get laid off or fired, my skill set is always in line with the industry so obtaining a new job is a lot easier than getting locked down with what you do in your current employment.