By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

Honestly never had a hard time finding employment. I guess I did have a hard time finding the employment I wanted though... I initially graduated from college during the recession with a degree in language arts with the intention of teaching... but couldn’t find a job teaching... all the teachers were getting laid off or having hiring freezes... bad time to look for a teaching job... so I got a job as a substitute teacher and went back to school for a masters in math... I got hired immediately with that degree and I currently teach both subjects. Pretty happy with how everything went down to be honest, even though it kinda sucked at the time...

Around the Network

Bronze trophy - work that you enjoy
Silver trophy - work when you want
Gold trophy - money works for you
Platinum trophy - retired and happy

Barozi said:
Well yeah, a few months after I finished school and when I left university.
But I never applied for government welfare in that time, so officially I was never unemployed.
Now I'm in a job where I can't be layed off in my lifetime, so I will never have to worry about unemployment.

Hi Barozi

Totally understand if you don't wish to answer, but are you able to shed some light on the type of role/industry that gives you that confidence?

I have had many years of what I would term 'secure' employment. But I could still be laid off with a months notice and a bit of a payout.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I am, currently. For over a year now. I have no experience on the field I've studied and no one over here is willing to accept an inexperienced Computerized Information Systems graduate. Right now, I'm looking for ANY job before I can stand on my feet, but the lack of experience is hurting my chances. And the jobs I've found that offer no experience are out of my reach in many ways. I loved what I studied and excelled at it, but if I knew they were gonna throw us to the wolves unprepared, I wouldn't have chosen this career.

0D0 said:

We need to teach our children that even though they need to look for something they rather like, they also need to look for something the world round them needs. Not everyone can have a dream job. Job is job, you can have your fun after 8-5.

One issue with this is that education takes years and the market can change dramatically by the time you're ready to enter the workforce.

Mr_No said:
I am, currently. For over a year now. I have no experience on the field I've studied and no one over here is willing to accept an inexperienced Computerized Information Systems graduate. Right now, I'm looking for ANY job before I can stand on my feet, but the lack of experience is hurting my chances. And the jobs I've found that offer no experience are out of my reach in many ways. I loved what I studied and excelled at it, but if I knew they were gonna throw us to the wolves unprepared, I wouldn't have chosen this career.

I was in a similar situation, but to add insult to injury, my profession was absolutely booming just before I graduated (part of the reason I studied it). Then the GFC hit. Plenty of experienced people were fired and entry-level positions dried up for several years (even internships). By the time the industry recovered there were plenty of people with 10+ years experience still looking for work to contend with for the good positions, along with several years worth of new graduates to contend with for the entry-level positions.

Around the Network

I am not fussy about job I send emails to jobs that pop up on my screen and just email away.
I do not even check the jobs or criteria and just send email claiming I am the best candidate for that job. It is a cut and paste email and I meet my quotas for my job search efforts.
Job search is pure numbers game, it is like winning the lottery.
The worst part is having to do that work for welfare nonsense that wastes time and does not provide any skills or experience for real world employment. Painting rocks, sorting clothes, weeding are not employable skills for the real world.
In the past I used to just cold call employers from phone book and claim to work for lowest wages and willing to do any job.

Immersiveunreality said:
Pemalite said:

Yeah. Not falling for your pity party if that is what you are hoping, there is tons of work available.

Everything you have complained about is essentially your own fault, starting being proactive, take charge of your own life, get professional help.

I must agree with you on this.

The complaining he does is highly used to get attention and he somehow uses that to justify his state of being without feeling the need to better his situation and that is shown in how he rarely seems to take in our comments personal but sees us as a collective and responds mostly as talking to a collective.

I do really wish him the best but it would be nice if he removes the wall between himself and the public so the info needed to help himself with can reach him in first place.

I talk to them as a collective of minds. They are just names on a screen. I try not to react with comments I do not agree with and I avoid arguments. 

No related experience makes a college degree useless. It is just a  piece of paper and there are thousands of graduates competing for the limited available jobs. There are going to be many graduates that miss out on graduate positions. i never bothered with further study like Masters or Ph.D. or another degree because it only leads to more debt, time wasted and does not improve employability. Work experience in related field improves job prospects. I have no relevant  experience, just theoretical course work.

There are 100,000 jobs available and there are 600,000 unemployed competing for these positions

There is going to be 500,000 people still unemployed if only unemployed people obtain those jobs but they face competition from graduates, new unemployed and people switching jobs so the unemployed number is unlikely to change on a monthly basis.

Many people do not understand economics or how the system works so it is easy to ignore the problem, because people on here make it sound like everyone can get a job because they have a job. Some people gave more disadvantages than others and do not have the same opportunities in life. There are always going to be winners and losers in life.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 25 March 2019

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

I talk to them as a collective of minds. They are just names on a screen. I try not to react with comments I do not agree with and I avoid arguments. 

No related experience makes a college degree useless. It is just a  piece of paper and there are thousands of graduates competing for the limited available jobs. There are going to be many graduates that miss out on graduate positions. i never bothered with further study like Masters or Ph.D. or another degree because it only leads to more debt, time wasted and does not improve employability. Work experience in related field improves job prospects. I have no relevant  experience, just theoretical course work.

There are 100,000 jobs available and there are 600,000 unemployed competing for these positions

There is going to be 500,000 people still unemployed if only unemployed people obtain those jobs but they face competition from graduates, new unemployed and people switching jobs so the unemployed number is unlikely to change on a monthly basis.

Many people do not understand economics or how the system works so it is easy to ignore the problem, because people on here make it sound like everyone can get a job because they have a job. Some people gave more disadvantages than others and do not have the same opportunities in life. There are always going to be winners and losers in life.

I completely agree. This thread turned into success stories fest and makes it look like everything is great (almost) all the time. No it isn't. Life sucks for most people. Even the people with the good jobs usually still hate going to them. Life is hard. Some people don't see point in life and I can understand them, sometimes I feel that way too. If you live in places like Eastern Europe where I live, there is at least 85% chance your life will suck ass, you will be poor and miserable.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Jicale said:
I did a green keeper apprentice and went on to stay at my job for 9 years. A new general manager came along and let me go.
I ended up going to the unemployment office to get the ball rolling on how to find new work but you can't enrol in their system unless you recieve new start allowance.
8 weeks later I started working as a school cleaner having little pricks mock you and you can't say a word back. I constantly kept my eyes open on the job ads, and evently, I landed a fifo job that completely changed my life.
It was a hard role, train to Sydney, plane to Brisbane, plane to Port Moresby and then with 21 days of 12hr shifts on, 7 days off at home. I'll never forget coming home from the first trip and checking the atm at Brisbane airport.
You just gotta keep your eyes open and be willing to take any the chance.

I work at a golf course as well. I've been at the same course going on 14 years now. I can't stand playing the sport, but i love working at a golf course.

I have recently been unemployed for a month and I’ve got so anxious and ashamed. It doesn’t sound that long, but one month in a city where you usually get a new job the same day and literally no one you know is unemployed is very long.

That was for me long enough to affect my mood, but now I’ve got not 1, but 4 job offers and have to accept one within this week.