By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

... what?

You said " If you go against them they'll make you pay and make an example of you for other states who dare disobey."

So, we've seen two situations where Democrats have had control of the house, senate, and presidency. When they did, did they do what you have suggested they will now? If so, give me examples of how.

The point about Obama, was as per the prior. Not what followed, which is what you based your question on, but hey.

Trump's Gov was exactly like Bush Jr. Gov, and Bush Sr. Gov prior...

Biden's Gov will be exactly like Obama's Gov, and Clinton's Gov prior...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/john-kass/ct-truth-reconciliation-kass-20201021-f4krpwvpvjgxvb2fv7hxnapdfy-story.html

Robert worked for Billy didn't he?

Reich is not suggesting attacking states on the basis of not going along with the Democratic party. Whether or not a truth and reconciliation commission is a good idea or not is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Robert Reich served for Clinton and Obama, both times in an economic role, which would have had nothing to do with anything like a truth an reconciliation commission. He has no power that would enable him to implement one now. Again, completely irrelevant. 

Now, this is a very simple question, and I have no idea why you are having trouble answering it.

When the Democrats controlled both houses and the presidency, did they use that to attack states that make states that dared go against them pay? 

It's a yes or no question. If the answer is yes give examples of how they did so. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 06 January 2021

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
JWeinCom said:

... what?

You said " If you go against them they'll make you pay and make an example of you for other states who dare disobey."

So, we've seen two situations where Democrats have had control of the house, senate, and presidency. When they did, did they do what you have suggested they will now? If so, give me examples of how.

And while he is saying that, he is also saying that Trump just sat back and didn't lash out against Dem states which....he did. Repeatedly. 

Gotta take things one fallacy at a time.

EricHiggin said:
Nautilus said:

Different topics have different intensities, different "memories". Much like you can get over a betrayal of your preferred gaming company launching a game in a platform over another pretty easily, someone can have a hard time, and even take years, getting over being betryed by a girlfriend/boyfriend. A hot topic like Politics have a longer term memory than something as trivial as videogame(though as forum users, we can somewhat disagree to this lol). I am of the opinion that people wouldn't have changed their mind over 8 months, but I can't prove it, so I'll just disagree and move on.

I think I said it before in a different post, but I don't think a civil war would actually happen, simply because we as human being are way more cowards nowadays to fight an actual war than we were 100 years ago. It's more of a cultural thing than anything. Having a long period of peace will have this effect. It's for the better, for the most part, if you wanna know my opinion.

But I do think a big internal political conflict will happen, in a scale never seen before. Like some states directly disobeying federal orders, almost acting as a country of it's own, the opposition making everything it can to bar the current government measures(much like the opposition did during Trump's government, but way worse). From a political point of view, everything will come to a standstill, almost nothing will pass and so on. The next 2 years will be ugly, but I hope I'm wrong.

I was being sarcastic when it came to my last few first points. I was being overly absurd to make a point. Guess I need to make that a little more clear.

I can see violence escalating quite a bit, but not full out civil war. Not unless a split was attempted and quashed. Peaceful separation or cooperation is certainly the preferred route, but peace for the sake of peace in certain circumstances isn't an option because it will eventually lead to anything but peace.

2 years of full Dem Gov control is going to cause major tension, but I don't see the disobedience from Rep states until they have some Fed Gov control again. Could very well end up like Obama's first term. The Dems won't just sit back and watch like Trump did. If you go against them they'll make you pay and make an example of you for other states who dare disobey. Unless it's a bunch of Rep states that do so in unison with the intention of separating if they can't come to terms, I think it would take a few years before any big moves were attempted on a political level.

2 years....  Blah blah blah.   Tell me how is Kansas going?  Tell me how many backwaters Republican states doing?  Not too good.  They all suck.  All deep red states are backwaters people that rely on usa government just to prop them up.   Deep red states are welfare states.  They all suck

JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

The point about Obama, was as per the prior. Not what followed, which is what you based your question on, but hey.

Trump's Gov was exactly like Bush Jr. Gov, and Bush Sr. Gov prior...

Biden's Gov will be exactly like Obama's Gov, and Clinton's Gov prior...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/john-kass/ct-truth-reconciliation-kass-20201021-f4krpwvpvjgxvb2fv7hxnapdfy-story.html

Robert worked for Billy didn't he?

Reich is not suggesting attacking states on the basis of not going along with the Democratic party. Whether or not a truth and reconciliation commission is a good idea or not is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Robert Reich served for Clinton and Obama, both times in an economic role, which would have had nothing to do with anything like a truth an reconciliation commission. He has no power that would enable him to implement one now. Again, completely irrelevant. 

Now, this is a very simple question, and I have no idea why you are having trouble answering it.

When the Democrats controlled both houses and the presidency, did they use that to attack states that make states that dared go against them pay? 

It's a yes or no question. If the answer is yes give examples of how they did so. 

How exact and direct would I have to be I wonder? You're assuming the future can only happen if it's already been done exactly as described in the past. Guess man is never going to Mars so forget about that idea.. So much for world peace...

Reich, who worked for Billy and advised Barack, who's backed by Dems like Warren and AOC, etc, wants to make those who were tied to Trump pay. Only the bad ones who helped Trump do bad things of course... and not just people either.

A very simple answer for a very simple question.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/canceling-trump-alumni-11604962923

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 06 January 2021

EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

How exact and direct would I have to be I wonder? You're assuming the future can only happen if it's already been done exactly as described in the past. Guess man is never going to Mars so forget about that idea.. So much for world peace...

Reich, who worked for Billy and advised Barack, who's backed by Dems like Warren and AOC, etc, wants to make those who were tied to Trump pay. Only the bad ones who helped Trump do bad things of course. Not just people either.

A very simply answer for a very simple question.

You are claiming that Robert Reich wants to make "only the bad ones who helped Trump do bad things" pay. This is not the same thing as making any state who fails to go along with Democratic agenda pay. So, again completely irrelevant.

I am not assuming a thing. I am asking if we have evidence based on the past that they will do this. If there is not, then we can discuss whether there is a reason to believe things will be different this time (and if Reich is the best you've got, then I'm guessing no). But, things have to be taken one step at a time.

As for the question, you would have to be direct enough to actually answer it, which you still haven't done. Instead you're talking about mars, world peace,  and claiming I made assumptions that I never made. 

It's a yes or no question, so a direct answer would include a yes or a no. If the answer is yes, then it should contain a follow up explaining the exact actions taken. So, if you are interested in engaging in an actual conversation, please demonstrate that by answering. I cannot possibly be any clearer.

Edit: If you're going to post a link, explain why the link is relevant, I'm not going to read any more since this is the second time you've posted something that has nothing to do with punishing states that don't go along with the democratic party.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 06 January 2021

Around the Network

No GOP senator objected to Georgia after tonight. Now I leave you with righteous brothers georgia on my mind.

According to Politico the death toll from the riot is up to 4 people now. The woman who was shot plus 3 people who died from "medical emergencies".

What a dark and sad day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

sethnintendo said:

No GOP senator objected to Georgia after tonight. Now I leave you with righteous brothers georgia on my mind.

I honestly don't think Loeffler ever really wanted to do it to begin with. She went along because she though she needed to do so to have a chance to win her election. She lost, and now she has an excuse to change her mind.

My condolences to those who died and the families. This talk today about america and how great the nation is and being all for the people, is bullshit. It seems like americans are easily dispensable and killed without any concern or afterthought.

JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

Reich, who worked for Billy and advised Barack, who's backed by Dems like Warren and AOC, etc, wants to make those who were tied to Trump pay. Only the bad ones who helped Trump do bad things of course. Not just people either.

A very simple answer for a very simple question.

You are claiming that Robert Reich wants to make "only the bad ones who helped Trump do bad things" pay. This is not the same thing as making any state who fails to go along with Democratic agenda pay. So, again completely irrelevant.

I am not assuming a thing. I am asking if we have evidence based on the past that they will do this. If there is not, then we can discuss whether there is a reason to believe things will be different this time (and if Reich is the best you've got, then I'm guessing no). But, things have to be taken one step at a time.

As for the question, you would have to be direct enough to actually answer it, which you still haven't done. Instead you're talking about mars, world peace,  and claiming I made assumptions that I never made. 

It's a yes or no question, so a direct answer would include a yes or a no. If the answer is yes, then it should contain a follow up explaining the exact actions taken. So, if you are interested in engaging in an actual conversation, please demonstrate that by answering. I cannot possibly be any clearer.

Edit: If you're going to post a link, explain why the link is relevant, I'm not going to read any more since this is the second time you've posted something that has nothing to do with punishing states that don't go along with the democratic party.

People or entities? Anything, not just anyone.

You mean like your initial assumption below, which hasn't changed, in which I corrected you? So why are we here then?

You indirectly referenced a point I made and are pretending like it meant something it didn't based on what followed it, so your question makes no sense to begin with and how is it that you're expecting a 'reasonable' answer?

The links and vids are never relevant anyway so why does anyone ever bother? 

EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

The last two presidents came in with a majority in both houses IIRC. How did Clinton or Obama "make states pay" for states that dared to disobey with them? Concrete examples please. 

It referred to the prior, because that would make sense, as what followed wouldn't.

JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

It referred to the prior, because that would make sense, as what followed wouldn't.

... what?