By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is everyone's Internet speed like? (In relation to Google Stadia being announced...)

What's your internet speed?

Less than 10mbps 15 11.19%

10-50 mbps 38 28.36%

50-100 mbps 35 26.12%

100-300 mbps 35 26.12%

300-900 mbps 7 5.22%

900+ mbps 4 2.99%

Total:134

Mine is 200 mbps down, 70 mbps up, 35 usd. But I live in Brazil.

Around the Network

14 ms ping
34.14 Mbps download
11.27 Mbps Upload

430 Gb data cap per month

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 20 March 2019

Signature goes here!

Doesnt even matter, data cap negates any game streaming, especially when series and movies are already streamed pushing that cap and blowing it up monthly as it is. Not to mention the added latency from others streaming at the same time. but on a good day around 60-80 MBPS when downloading updates on xb1.

LiquorandGunFun said:
Doesnt even matter, data cap negates any game streaming, especially when series and movies are already streamed pushing that cap and blowing it up monthly as it is. Not to mention the added latency from others streaming at the same time. but on a good day around 60-80 MBPS when downloading updates on xb1.

you know, when game streaming beceomes a thing the customers want to do, then ISPs will have to raise caps or offer uncapped access to specific services in order to appease them - the cap scam can only exist as long as customers don't rebel against it

SpokenTruth said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Faster than 53% of the US? Well relatively speaking yours is actually pretty decent then. But wow, the US must have some pretty bad internet around, I wonder if some people are still on dial up or something

The early days of the Internet in the US focused on repurposing phone lines and phone line equipment and protocols. Mix that with a low density population and you get slow speeds.  And few not all ISPs have been good about migrating to more modern equipment and protocols.

This stands in stark contrast where smaller and poorer nations who build their Internet infrastructure from scratch used more modern equipment and hence have faster average speeds than the US despite inventing the damn thing.

So yes, some of that is still dial-up, some of up is DSL and some of it is cable but with old ass equipment.

Which is true for basically everything. Many people complain how 3rd or at least 2nd world countries have better internet infastructure or a more modern transportation system and whatnot. But it's so obvious that this is only because the developed countries started building their infrastructure much earlier based on old technology and that many of these investments haven't payed off just yet, while costs for maintenance are high and a nation wide upgrade would cost enormous amounts of money.
And of course your point about smaller countries where it's much easier to cover as much people as possible.

Around the Network

200 Down and 70 up. Forty Eypos in Madrid.
350 Down and 100 up. Fifty USD in Bogota.

But latency isn't particularly nice on either. Ping is around 100-133 for both.

So I have a bit of a special case.
I've got a hybrid router where I get about 9mbps download speed from my DSL connection (ADSL to be precise) and 36mbps from my LTE connection.
I'm paying for 50mbps (down) but that's the maximum I can get at my current home, so I'm not mad about it.
Price is of course a bit higher than a comparable VDSL or cable connection. I'm paying 40€ a month. No cap.

Not at home right now, but what I'm paying for is Comcast and it's supposed to be 75 Mbps download (don't remember upload). There is a better ISP, but my house lies on the border of their serviceable area, and I'm hoping that soon I'll be within coverage. My problem with Comcast is it's 1 TB per month data cap. If I go over that data cap, it actually just adds $25 to the bill and makes it unlimited for the month, and since I don't go over the limit every month, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade to that plan. Both times I went over the limit they removed the overage charge so I'm not certain if my understanding of how it works is accurate.

When they installed the equipment, I remember that the connection tests barely passed, and I expressed my concern, but the technician said that because it did technically still pass the test, it would be an extra charge for them to upgrade the equipment. My connection is fairly stable, but I don't feel like I'm getting 75 Mbps. When I'm downloading a game on Steam, for example, it usually caps out at 7 MB/s, but oftentimes it rests at between 3 and 4 MB/s.

Man, some of you have bad pings!

I'm paying for "up to 100 MBps upload / up to 30 MBps download" (DSL) and usually I get around 90% - 95% of that maximum.

Technically it seems to be a 110 Mbps / 30 MBps connection according to my router:

Downloads are stable. Netflix and Amazon streams look great after the the first low-res seconds.

I'm super glad that there are no data caps, because I tend to download a lot. Usually 2 - 3 TB per month, but early 2018 I almost reached 10 TB and had a slightly guilty conscience ;)

Last edited by Conina - on 20 March 2019

IDK, is this at least decent?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.