By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is everyone's Internet speed like? (In relation to Google Stadia being announced...)

What's your internet speed?

Less than 10mbps 15 11.19%

10-50 mbps 38 28.36%

50-100 mbps 35 26.12%

100-300 mbps 35 26.12%

300-900 mbps 7 5.22%

900+ mbps 4 2.99%

Total:134

50 mbps download
6 mbps upload

Price: $55
No Cap

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
Not at home right now, but what I'm paying for is Comcast and it's supposed to be 75 Mbps download (don't remember upload). There is a better ISP, but my house lies on the border of their serviceable area, and I'm hoping that soon I'll be within coverage. My problem with Comcast is it's 1 TB per month data cap. If I go over that data cap, it actually just adds $25 to the bill and makes it unlimited for the month, and since I don't go over the limit every month, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade to that plan. Both times I went over the limit they removed the overage charge so I'm not certain if my understanding of how it works is accurate.

When they installed the equipment, I remember that the connection tests barely passed, and I expressed my concern, but the technician said that because it did technically still pass the test, it would be an extra charge for them to upgrade the equipment. My connection is fairly stable, but I don't feel like I'm getting 75 Mbps. When I'm downloading a game on Steam, for example, it usually caps out at 7 MB/s, but oftentimes it rests at between 3 and 4 MB/s.

Oh damn, I wanted to follow this up because I checked data speeds and Comcast offers 250 Mbps in my area now, but they didn't upgrade me automatically. I called them up and was able to switch to the 250 Mbps plan for the exact same price. Kind of sketchy how they do that. So if you have Comcast and haven't checked plans recently, maybe check and see if there is a free upgrade available.

I'm at work now, but when I get home I should have a pleasant 250 Mbps connection to enjoy.

And not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone remember the old dial-up days of getting booted off the internet whenever the phone rang, and taking some 45-odd seconds to reconnect. Back when watching a video or listening to music was not a thing; you had to download it first, and that download could have taken hours. When the Internet was a program on your computer that you would boot up, not just something that was always on. I was late to the party, as my mother supported me and my two siblings by herself, so I never had the 28.8 KB/s connection; I joined at 56kbps.

Then came cable Internet, offering a sweet ~300 Kbps. But equally as good, it removed that waiting game to connect, and the phone lines were freed up once more. Dial up was only $15 dollars a month, and so my mother was reluctant to switch to Comcast, as it was in the realm of $50 or $60 per month. But when she eventually made the switch, I was a happy camper.

When WiFi first became a thing, I remember feeling as though I was scamming Comcast, as I was able to use multiple devices to connect to the same Internet modem. At the time, it was not unusual for families to have two or three phone lines to allow multiple users, and they paid for those lines. When people started using routers, I'm sure Comcast was not happy.

So yeah, nostalgia.

Edit: Being a 90s child ruled.

I'll tell you when I understand it. It's supposed to be 1000Mbits down 100 up but sometimes I can't properly watch 240p. Thank Canada

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
I'll tell you when I understand it. It's supposed to be 1000Mbits down 100 up but sometimes I can't properly watch 240p. Thank Canada

What kind of device?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I have a 16mbps connection, because my isp was unable to get a port free for a 50mbps connection. I'm stuck with this for two years now....:(

This is mine..

Using 4G LTE router with 3TB cap. :(

vivster said:
Bandwidth means absolute shit for realtime applications. I can already hear the people with their 400mbps LTE modems complain about issues because of the lag spikes. And even your super 1Gbps fiber will not help you if you're using wifi.
The latency for streamed games is not at all comparable to the latency we have with locally played online games. Latency in streamed games affects input delay and as such effectively doubles your latency while playing. Short and smaller spikes will not be noticeable on local games because the game is using prediction, that is not possible when streaming video.

But while this sounds very dire I'm hopeful for its success due to 2 factors. Latency will improve significantly in the decades to come and the vast majority of gamers don't give 2 shits about quality or high fidelity.

Keeping in mind that the Stadia controller will be directly connected to the internet vs. connecting through a console or other device which is then connected to the internet.  So traditional latency issues will be a bit less, though not necessarily low enough for our more twitchy games/players.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

My ISP tells me it's 300mbps. Not sure what it is on a practical level.