By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that presented the biggest leap over their predecessor

Resident Evil 4

New aiming and camera system, change in general tone of the game, more focus on combat and less on puzzles, more linear map style, quick time events, buying/selling/reward system with the Merchant... I'm sure there's plenty more.

Whether it's better than its predecessors is another story (I'd so no), but it was a big change.

Around the Network

Half Life 2 

Half Life 2 jump from Half Life 1. Almost completely different games yet revolutionized an already revolutionised game.

Just look at that Crowbar detail!!

Last edited by Azzanation - on 19 March 2019

Gow 2018

drbunnig said:

Resident Evil 4

New aiming and camera system, change in general tone of the game, more focus on combat and less on puzzles, more linear map style, quick time events, buying/selling/reward system with the Merchant... I'm sure there's plenty more.

Whether it's better than its predecessors is another story (I'd so no), but it was a big change.

Its about time somebody mentioned it but you forgot to mention one of the most significant chances over the previous games which is the ditching of the tank controls which makes the game much more playable then all the previous games.

- Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy VII

- Grand Theft Auto 2 to Grand Theft Auto III

- Dead or Alive to Dead or Alive 2

- Links Awakening to Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Super Metroid to Metroid Prime

- Fallout 2 to Fallout 3

- Ninja Gaiden 2 to Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

But if I had to choose ONE game as the best and clearest example for said topic: it would be...

Silent Hill 4 to P.T.
Konami's demo to their now cancelled game was a f***ing masterpiece.

Around the Network

Street Fighter 2 comes to mind. Probably something like GTA 3 or Metal Gear Solid, though.

Chris Hu said:
drbunnig said:

Resident Evil 4

Its about time somebody mentioned it but you forgot to mention one of the most significant chances over the previous games which is the ditching of the tank controls which makes the game much more playable then all the previous games.

I disagree. I didn't mention the controls as they're pretty much the same as the past games. Leon still moves in the same way as before. It was the  change of camera and aiming that made it feel smoother.

Return to Zork.

Beforehand the series was just words really.

God of war 2018

Elite to Elite: Dangerous was a huge Jump

Same for:

• Wasteland to Wasteland 2
  • Bard's Tale 3 to Bard's Tale 4
  • Shadowgate 1987 to Shadowgate 2017
  • Kid Icarus to Kid Icarus: Uprising is a fairly extreme example.
Basically all those IP that got stopped in the 80s/90's and then got a successor 20+ years later all qualify for the title.
Another game I would mention would be Wizardry VI after Wizardry V and, on a similar note, Wizardry 8 after Wizardry VII. It helps that there are 9 years between VII and 8, but V and VI had only a 3 years gap. Though here, it helps that the early Wizardry titles didn't change much since their inception in 1981, so those 3 years are technically more like 7 years of actual development.
While we're at it with old CRPG, Might & Magic V being followed by Might & Magic VI. Going from 2D to 3D (with 2D sprites and vegetation) while changing drastically how the classes and gameplay works (from turn-based to a potential manual mix between turn-based and real-time combat (you can turn off turn-based combat while in combat and turn it on seconds later again - good to avoid some missile for instance), and real time exploration).