By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that presented the biggest leap over their predecessor

Grand Theft Auto 3. I think it's the runaway winner here.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Holy shit, Rockstar really went above and beyond after Vice City (which was stellar by itself). Increased the size of the map by like five times to include 3 full unique cities, and some countryside, too. Many improvements like being able to swim, climb, rotating the camera while in gameplay, etc. Way more stuff to do in general (like getting aa fricking JETPACK). 

And it all fit on a PS2 disc, somehow, someway. GOAT game.

Wii Sports Resort

Wii Sports I really liked, but Resorts use of the Wii Motion Plus just made it infinitely better. Plus just more sports, more content in general. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Resident Evil 4

New aiming and camera system, change in general tone of the game, more focus on combat and less on puzzles, more linear map style, quick time events, buying/selling/reward system with the Merchant... I'm sure there's plenty more.

Whether it's better than its predecessors is another story (I'd so no), but it was a big change.

Half Life 2 

Half Life 2 jump from Half Life 1. Almost completely different games yet revolutionized an already revolutionised game.

Just look at that Crowbar detail!!

Last edited by Azzanation - on 19 March 2019

Gow 2018

Around the Network
drbunnig said:

Resident Evil 4

New aiming and camera system, change in general tone of the game, more focus on combat and less on puzzles, more linear map style, quick time events, buying/selling/reward system with the Merchant... I'm sure there's plenty more.

Whether it's better than its predecessors is another story (I'd so no), but it was a big change.

Its about time somebody mentioned it but you forgot to mention one of the most significant chances over the previous games which is the ditching of the tank controls which makes the game much more playable then all the previous games.

- Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy VII

- Grand Theft Auto 2 to Grand Theft Auto III

- Dead or Alive to Dead or Alive 2

- Links Awakening to Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Super Metroid to Metroid Prime

- Fallout 2 to Fallout 3

- Ninja Gaiden 2 to Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

But if I had to choose ONE game as the best and clearest example for said topic: it would be...

Silent Hill 4 to P.T.
Konami's demo to their now cancelled game was a f***ing masterpiece.

Street Fighter 2 comes to mind. Probably something like GTA 3 or Metal Gear Solid, though.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Chris Hu said:
drbunnig said:

Resident Evil 4

Its about time somebody mentioned it but you forgot to mention one of the most significant chances over the previous games which is the ditching of the tank controls which makes the game much more playable then all the previous games.

I disagree. I didn't mention the controls as they're pretty much the same as the past games. Leon still moves in the same way as before. It was the  change of camera and aiming that made it feel smoother.

Return to Zork.

Beforehand the series was just words really.