By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that presented the biggest leap over their predecessor

DonFerrari said:
SpokenTruth said:

Did you just skip VIII?

You could say that, but it is just the in-gen most impressive jump in a franchise for me.

Ah, that's slightly different topic.

Probably a good thread too if you want to tackle it.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

You could say that, but it is just the in-gen most impressive jump in a franchise for me.

Ah, that's slightly different topic.

Probably a good thread too if you want to tackle it.

I made it couple of months ago. People have put several good games like Mario on NES

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Excluding some ridiculous franchise revivals, I'd have to say Metal Gear Solid 2. The improvement was especially noticeable in graphics and gameplay, and I think the graphics hold up even to this day. Gameplay-wise, first-person aiming made a huge difference, and so did the tranquilizer gun (and knocking out enemies in general). There was much more too.

Super Mario 64 was the biggest overal leap, in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Dragon Quest VIII gets my vote as the biggest graphical leap compared to its predecessors.

super_etecoon said:
I'm going to go with Super Mario Bros over Mario Bros. Everything about the game was revamped, especially the controls. Rather than being restricted to one screen, the player could go for minutes in one direction. In addition, there were branching paths with warp zones leading not only forward, but also backward. Super Mario Bros introduced a variety of new characters and powerups as well as some of the best music in the business.

The jump from Metroid to Super Metroid also deserves a mention. No doubt, Super Metroid to Metroid Prime is also a gigantic leap, but for some reason it doesn't feel like the comparisson should be allowed. Metroid Prime may be a Metroid game, but I really don't feel like it is a continuation of the mise en scene of Super Metroid. I'm still hoping for that game one day, actually.

Going from the single screens, or multiple static screens, of the second generation to the multi-directional, per-pixel scrolling of the third generation is arguably as big of a deal as going from 2D to 3D, in terms of revolutionizing gameplay, and is definitely underhyped compared to the 2D to 3D jump.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
TranceformerFX said:
- Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy VII

- Grand Theft Auto 2 to Grand Theft Auto III

- Dead or Alive to Dead or Alive 2

- Links Awakening to Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Super Metroid to Metroid Prime

- Fallout 2 to Fallout 3

- Ninja Gaiden 2 to Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

But if I had to choose ONE game as the best and clearest example for said topic: it would be...

Silent Hill 4 to P.T.
Konami's demo to their now cancelled game was a f***ing masterpiece.

'Links awakening' came out after 'a link to the past', do you mean zelda 2 on the nes?

Yeah, thats what I meant. My bad, I got those confused.

Another vote for GTA 2 > GTA 3 here. The leap was enormous.

Red Steel 2 stick out in my mind. 

The first game was a near-uncontrollable mess, the second played like a dream thanks to motion plus and remains to this day one of the best examples of the potential; of motion controls to create an experience above and beyond what buttons and sticks can provide. Slashing, stabbing, and parrying through waves of enemies felt incredibly satisfying and really got my heart pumping.

Twilight Princess also gets a mention from me, as it fixed pretty much all the problems that made me hate Wind Waker and brought Zelda back to what made me fall in love with it in the first place.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.