By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that presented the biggest leap over their predecessor

A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

God of War 3 to God of War PS4 in terms of gameplay

TranceformerFX said:
- Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy VII

- Grand Theft Auto 2 to Grand Theft Auto III

- Dead or Alive to Dead or Alive 2

- Links Awakening to Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Super Metroid to Metroid Prime

- Fallout 2 to Fallout 3

- Ninja Gaiden 2 to Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

But if I had to choose ONE game as the best and clearest example for said topic: it would be...

Silent Hill 4 to P.T.
Konami's demo to their now cancelled game was a f***ing masterpiece.

'Links awakening' came out after 'a link to the past', do you mean zelda 2 on the nes?

- Super Mario Bros
- Mario 64
- Ocarina of Time
- GTA3
- BoTW
- Half Life 2

Those are probably the biggest jumps I've come across and they revolutionized gaming in one way or another.

I'm mostly including games that not only jumped but delved into something that wasn't there in the industry or influenced game design on a wide scale.

Castle Wolfenstein --> Wolfenstein 3-D

Around the Network

I can't believe I'm having such a hard time with this. Those that mentioned GoW I guess is the closest I can come up with. Seems like that would be from recency bias, but I really can't think of anything else.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Daggerfall to Morrowind.

kopstudent89 said:

Those are probably the biggest jumps I've come across and they revolutionized gaming in one way or another.

I'm mostly including games that not only jumped but delved into something that wasn't there in the industry or influenced game design on a wide scale.

Just curious, but how would you say that BotW has revolutionized gaming?

Tomb Raider 2013 - in terms of mechanisms, it was tremandous leap over its predecessor...right to the bottom of deep chasm filled with modern AAA crap.
Fallout 3 is down their with it, though with much less said excrement.

On the upward side, as Boffenbrauer2 said, most 80s/90s IPs that have recently resurged are great candidates, if not necessarily gameplay wise, certainly in all other aspects.

From "recent" stuff, maybe Red Dead Redemption over Red Dead Revolver, Portal 2 over Portal, or Sleeping Dogs over True Crime: New York City.

The leap from God of War: Ascension to God of War (2018) was monumental.

Already made a thread like this couple months ago.
For me FF VII to IX jump was extreme.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."