By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

Has the debates changed your views on any of the candidates? Before the debate I was a huge Young supporter and liked Pete. I still support Yang because i'm just a big fan of the guy but i'm gonna start to keep an eye on Castro and continue to follow Pete. I'll also follow Williamson but mostly for the memes.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Has the debates changed your views on any of the candidates? Before the debate I was a huge Young supporter and liked Pete. I still support Yang because i'm just a big fan of the guy but i'm gonna start to keep an eye on Castro and continue to follow Pete. I'll also follow Williamson but mostly for the memes.

I'm not American, I hadn't heard of most of these people before.

Castro, Booker, De Blasio, Inslee, Gillibrand, and Harris were all surprises.

Kamala Harris is far stronger than I thought she'd be, but her key issues interest me less than Warren, Sanders, Inslee, Gillibrand, and De Blasio. Mostly because I'm a Green Party guy, and they're the equivalent of the US Green Party faction in the Democrats.

My opinion of Beto O'Rourke not being charismatic was solidified. Kamala Harris was the most charismatic, Warren, De Blasio, and Castro were also very charismatic. I also very much expected Biden to crash and bern.

Marianne Wilhelmsen is my favourite character.

I went from being indifferent on Gabbard to downright wanting to see her lose just because so many of her fans are delusionally insane.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 June 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

haxxiy said:
Out of the twenty, only five candidates have seen their unfavourable rates grow more than their favourable ones with the democratic voters: Beto O'Rourke, John Delaney, Joe Biden, Andrew Yang and Mariane Williamson. A poor showing for centrists and outsiders, it would seem.

Worse for Biden is, that he's the only one whose favorable rating dropped down, not by much (from 76.5 to 75.6%), but noteworthy enough since that allowed Sanders to overtake him in both in the favorable and unfavorable (as in, becoming less unfavorable) ratings.

Sanders and Warren are also the only one whose unfavorable rating went down. Warren by 1% (13.5 to 12.5%), while Sanders only by 0.1% (17.6 to 17.5%).

Williamson is the only candidate with more unfavorable than favorable views. Before the debate, that distinction went to Bill de Blasio, but he grew out of it. Both are however still the ones with the biggest unfavorable ratings, being at over 25% when everybody else is under 20%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/democratic-debate-poll/

The more I think about it the more I realize that I like williamson. She raises some interesting points and I feel like she's more focused on larger systemic issues than most democrats like how she brought up how Americans are more prone to chronic illnesses and I love that shit but I don't think I would vote for her. I don't want to vote for her I want to smoke a bowl and talk to her about weird shit and socioeconomic issues

Jumpin said:
jason1637 said:

I'm not American, I hadn't heard of most of these people before.

Castro, Booker, De Blasio, Inslee, Gillibrand, and Harris were all surprises.

Kamala Harris is far stronger than I thought she'd be, but her key issues interest me less than Warren, Sanders, Inslee, Gillibrand, and De Blasio. Mostly because I'm a Green Party guy, and they're the equivalent of the US Green Party faction in the Democrats.

My opinion of Beto O'Rourke not being charismatic was solidified. Kamala Harris was the most charismatic, Warren, De Blasio, and Castro were also very charismatic. I also very much expected Biden to crash and bern.

Marianne Wilhelmsen is my favourite character.

I went from being indifferent on Gabbard to downright wanting to see her lose just because so many of her fans are delusionally insane.

Don't know who you're talking to in order to draw these bigoted, presumptuous conclusions, but I'd wager most are just pissed that an actual liberal, who's served in the National Guard, who stands for real progressive values is being unfairly smeared and ignored as an "Assad Apologist", "Putin Puppet", "far right adjacent" or cultist of some kind with absolutely zero logic to back up these asinine claims.

Personally, I find many of the other candidates and many of their supporters delusionally insane so different strokes I guess.

And anyway you've got nothing to worry about, because the party and media will make sure to do everything in their power to marginalize/smear her. Can't have an anti-war, anti-establishment liberal in the Democratic party anymore, God forbid.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Is there some kind of meme/joke going around or do Tulsi fans need to REALLY just need to lighten up?

Commenter: "My favourite at the debate was Warren."
Tulsi fan: "Typical centrist shill! If you were on the true left, you'd not support anyone up there except Tulsi!"

Commenter: "I like her 90's style red jacket"
Tulsi fan: "For fuck's sake! Stop MISREPRESENTING Tulsi!"

What do you talk about? What did you see? Can you reference us?

And moronic fans are probably on all sides.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

One way to comment on the debates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFsmrfwGIv4

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Gabbards anti war stances are great but as a former chair of the DNC she's part of the establishment. This makes me not want to support her.

Last edited by jason1637 - on 29 June 2019

DarthMetalliCube said:
Jumpin said:

Don't know who you're talking to in order to draw these bigoted, presumptuous conclusions, but I'd wager most are just pissed that an actual liberal, who's served in the National Guard, who stands for real progressive values is being unfairly smeared and ignored as an "Assad Apologist", "Putin Puppet", "far right adjacent" or cultist of some kind with absolutely zero logic to back up these asinine claims.

Personally, I find many of the other candidates and many of their supporters delusionally insane so different strokes I guess.

And anyway you've got nothing to worry about, because the party and media will make sure to do everything in their power to marginalize/smear her. Can't have an anti-war, anti-establishment liberal in the Democratic party anymore, God forbid.

It seems it's not just limited to Youtube stream chats, comment sections, and social media. What you're saying isn't too far off from what I've heard over the last few days. In the chat-stream, I was in for the debate, every time a minute went by where she didn't talk "TULSI IS BEING SILENCED! THE MEDIA IS TRYING TO SABOTAGE HER!" and they were calling all the other candidates "CORPORATE CENTRIST SHILL FAKE LEFTISTS" and insanely delusional crap like that.

Apparently: if I point out that out, I'm a presumptuous bigot. Then you go off on how she was unfairly smeared as an Assad apologist, Putin Puppet, far right adjacent when I said nothing of the sort, and no one in the debate said anything like that at all either. I am bewildered how you guys as a collective keep coming to this conclusion as though you're on some script.

Do you guys have meetings or something?

And I never claimed you guys were a cult; but now that you mention it, the bombardment of Tulsi apologetics IS very cult-like.

I might even agree with just about everything Gabbard says until her fans get a chance to scream at you for ANY feedback, even if it was something utterly innocent like: she seems to like red, I wonder if her favourite Ninja Turtle is Rafael?:

Seriously! Is this rabidly insane Tulsi fandom some meme that I'm not in on? Since she's one of the less interesting candidates, some kind of ironic fandom? This all seems very random since she's part of the pack at the back, and doesn't really distinguish herself much at all.
Or is Gabbard the new sacred calf of the most extreme Bernie or Bust Bros from the last election?

Tulsi fandom is probably the second weirdest thing I am seeing out of this election cycle next to Marianne Williamson: Maybe I'll join her pro-love cult to combat the "hate everything but Tulsi" cult =)

Last edited by Jumpin - on 29 June 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Is there some kind of meme/joke going around or do Tulsi fans need to REALLY just need to lighten up?

Commenter: "My favourite at the debate was Warren."
Tulsi fan: "Typical centrist shill! If you were on the true left, you'd not support anyone up there except Tulsi!"

Commenter: "I like her 90's style red jacket"
Tulsi fan: "For fuck's sake! Stop MISREPRESENTING Tulsi!"

From what I've seen, they are really just that on edge. They're worse than certain Bernie fans were last time around. In fact given the cross-over, they might be the Bernie fans from last time that saw media bias everywhere. There was definitely some media bias against him last time, and there still is against both him and Gabbard this time, but certain types of people see that bias in more things than I think are reasonable.