By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

Yang is the only one who has my support at this point. His campaign was my first political donation.

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
Beto raised $6.1 million in the first 24 hours, which is higher than Bernie did

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/beto-o-rourke-raises-6-1-million-first-day-topping-n984266

Glad to see he is doing very well. Ultimately I think this race will come down to Beto vs Biden vs Bernie. I really hope Beto wins it, he has the charisma to be a Obama imo. Its sad seeing all the Bernie squad going full attack on him.

But what makes him charismatic? I have heard others say it, but no one can quantify it.
With Obama, it's obvious: he's one of the world's greatest speakers, and can put together great speeches. Beto lacks both these traits, all I see of him is a struggle to put together a coherent 5 minute speech, and LOTS of rapid hand gestures, like he is trying to spoof Hitler.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
cycycychris said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/beto-o-rourke-raises-6-1-million-first-day-topping-n984266

Glad to see he is doing very well. Ultimately I think this race will come down to Beto vs Biden vs Bernie. I really hope Beto wins it, he has the charisma to be a Obama imo. Its sad seeing all the Bernie squad going full attack on him.

But what makes him charismatic? I have heard others say it, but no one can quantify it.
With Obama, it's obvious: he's one of the world's greatest speakers, and can put together great speeches. Beto lacks both these traits, all I see of him is a struggle to put together a coherent 5 minute speech, and LOTS of rapid hand gestures, like he is trying to spoof Hitler.

Obama is not a great speaker. Watch his debates, he was blown away by Hillary in 2008 and even Romney, to some extent, in 2012.

But he is charismatic. Same can be said about Trump really. So it's not about speeches.

In fact it just goes to show how the debates are nearly useless, indeed, everyone picks up favorites beforehand based on gut feeling.

cycycychris said:

I think at least one woman will have a very good shot in the race, middle aged women are after all the biggest voter group for the democrats.

Bernie/Tulsi would be my dream team. Yang is a distant third.

I hope Biden doesn't run, as he could steal it from Bernie for the more conservative Democrats.

Around the Network

By the way, I don't see a path to 270 for an unabashed progressive or uncharismatic candidate. I believe Hillary Clinton was much closer to the performance of the generic democrat than many give her credit for, and Trump now has the incumbency advantage. Unless the economy deteriorates significantly he'll likely take Ohio, Iowa and Florida. So the path for the Democratic Party grows thinner and will depend strongly on taking the Midwest and perhaps Arizona.

I hope a crazy MMTer wins so the dollar can die fast and countries dump it at a fast pace.

Im rooting for Gabbard. I really like her anti war stances.

Pete Buttigieg seems like a cool guy. Can we have Buttigieg/Gabbard, just so the fundamentalists over here have a meltdown?

haxxiy said:

Pete Buttigieg seems like a cool guy. Can we have Buttigieg/Gabbard, just so the fundamentalists over here have a meltdown?

And he's getting pretty popular, too. At the latest Iowa caucus poll, he jumped from 1 to 11% of the votes. Main Victims were Beto and Klobuchar.