By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

nvm the site editor is acting weird and wont let me edit my reply.

Around the Network
Moren said:
SpokenTruth said:

So who failed the people here?  Sanders or the Party?

If Sanders had done anything to even give the impression he wanted to reach people beyond his most ardent supporters post-Nevada, there is nothing the party could have done to stop him.

Instead, he wanted to win with his 30%.

So, you're one of the people who thinks a candidate has just to make the right promises and strategy and feel good for the voters, instead of putting forward honest policies? What you call sticking to his 30% is in reality sticking to his well-though out policy positions.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Moren said:
Metallox said:
So... Trump for another term essentially confirmed?

No.

Unless only Twitter voted.

I don't agree. While I don't think the election is decided, I always thought Biden is a somewhat weak candidate. But the current epidemic has shown that he actually lacks leadership skills and had a more or less confused reaction to all this. This was visible for everyone. I have no doubt in mind, that Trump can again activate his supporters, and that was enough 2016. But I don't see how Biden is able to get more excitement out of the electorate as Clinton did. Maybe he surprises me, but his current show of major weaknesses is not a good argument for him. Many will probably stay home at election time.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Why are the rich text editing tools not appearing? a bug?

Mnementh said:
Moren said:

If Sanders had done anything to even give the impression he wanted to reach people beyond his most ardent supporters post-Nevada, there is nothing the party could have done to stop him.

Instead, he wanted to win with his 30%.

So, you're one of the people who thinks a candidate has just to make the right promises and strategy and feel good for the voters, instead of putting forward honest policies? What you call sticking to his 30% is in reality sticking to his well-though out policy positions.

No? I clearly outlined how he could have adjusted his messaging without needing to change his "well-thought out" policies, and still could have won the primary.

To my delight, however, he chose to do it the Mnementh way, and he was crushed.

Around the Network
Moren said:
Mnementh said:

No? I clearly outlined how he could have adjusted his messaging without needing to change his "well-thought out" policies, and still could have won the primary.

You're delighted, that the policies that if implemented earlier actually would've helped in the current epidemic crisis will also not be implemented in the future?

Mnementh said:
Moren said:

You're delighted, that the policies that if implemented earlier actually would've helped in the current epidemic crisis will also not be implemented in the future?

Yep. You have finally discovered me. I don't care about the poor, and I want people to die.

That's how it works, right?

I’m not sure how all these sanders supporters think Biden is a worse matchup with trump than sanders. If sanders couldn’t even get the majority of Democrats to support him, how do you think he would have done with independents? The fact is, Sanders was just as flawed a candidate as Biden is, just in different ways. There is no such thing as a perfect candidate. Cry your tears guys and move on. It’s trump vs Biden. If you don’t like your options, pick the one that you think will do less harm. Something I wish more people had done in the last election...

Moren said:
Mnementh said:

Yep. You have finally discovered me. I don't care about the poor, and I want people to die.

That's how it works, right?

I don't know, is it? I don't know what you really care about and actually puzzled what you desire in politics.

I just state the facts, that these policies would've helped in the current crisis.

But another point: are you really satisfied with the current situation? Do you think how Biden presents himself currently he is a good candidate to beat Trump? I mean, we can be frank about the point, that 2016 everyone underestimated Trumps chances and I don't see his pull with voters has changed. Do you think this time with Biden it can be wrenched from Trump?

gergroy said:
I’m not sure how all these sanders supporters think Biden is a worse matchup with trump than sanders. If sanders couldn’t even get the majority of Democrats to support him, how do you think he would have done with independents? The fact is, Sanders was just as flawed a candidate as Biden is, just in different ways. There is no such thing as a perfect candidate. Cry your tears guys and move on. It’s trump vs Biden. If you don’t like your options, pick the one that you think will do less harm. Something I wish more people had done in the last election...

Yeah the way I see it, I do think Bernie had the possibility of beating Biden in independent voters (though, I'm not really sure there's enough data to support thaat in comparison to the very blatant data that Biden is more popular with Democrats overall than Bernie), but Bernie also could have led to depressed voter turnout in a similar way to Hillary's nomination in 2016. Hillary was unpopular for progressives and a lot of more normal democrats I think. This time, we'd have a "moderate" candidate who's more all-encompassing than Hillary, more popular, and does way better than Bernie with a large section of the minority population. So while Bernie has areas he's better at most likely, those areas are largely more untested and matter less in elections, and I think that's where Biden's strengths are.