By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

uran10 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I would say speak for yourself, but you already seem to be alternating between speaking for yourself and speaking for an entire movement whenever it's convenient.

Anyways, i'm kind of sympathetic to what you're saying. Bernie was my preferred candidate by far, I voted for him in my primary, and it's depressing to think that incrementalism will win the race. However, I think it's dangerous to say that Biden is as bad as Trump, let alone worse. If you care about basic human rights, a $15 minimum wage, most deportations being halted, free public college for those making an income of less than $125k, and a (admittedly kind of vague) plan to decrease drug prices by driving up competition with other nations' drug products through importation, are all steps in the right direction. You say that Biden has to earn the vote of progressives, and that they don't owe it to him, and that's right! Correct! That's exactly what he's trying to do. That's why, no matter how much Biden's base might not like Sanders or how much Sanders base don't want to face defeat, we have to look at this in the context of how much Sander's movement has actual changed political discourse. Biden wouldn't be proposing bankruptcy reform or free college if progressives weren't in the race, sure, but that's why it's important to recognize when a candidate is trying to do better and represent a bigger tent of the party. I will vote for Joe Biden because I think he has done enough to convince me and perhaps even some other left-leaning people (though I don't claim to speak for other Sanders supporters) that he will enact more progressive change in his administration, even if they will be compromises, nonetheless they will be steps forward. I do agree though that people shouldn't have to vote for candidates they don't like, that you don't owe anything to the Democratic party, and I also think that the "lesser of two evils" concept represents a huge weakness in a two-party system. But, to expand on that concept non-literally, I don't think Joe Biden is really a lesser evil, or even a neutral force, but rather more a mild good. I don't want to see all of the elections in my life time be an infinite cycle of modest progress, but in the here and now Joe is the clear pick over Trump. 

And, as much as it sucks to admit, it's not exactly like most people who are both 1) being realistic and 2) Sanders supporters, are actually voting for Sanders because they believe that all of his policies in their purest form will pass. They won't and wouldn't. There has to be a break, a compromise, somewhere in there. It's just that I believe his compromises would be farther left. 

That's you. Joe is a pathological liar and is owned by the 1% and the dem establishment. They don't want any real change, he himself said nothing will fundamentally change. Joe Biden is a corrupt politician and his 40 years have caused more devastation to us than Trump could ever. You trust giving him power cause I don't. I personally don't think he'd do anything of the sort that he's claiming to move left on. His entire record shows that so why should I trust his recent changes over his 40 years in power? Voting for Joe is like voting for the devil that's why #neverbiden was trending and I will say it, he can't convince me because I can never trust him. He lied the entire debate, he's been lying the entire campaign, he's been lying for so long what makes you think this "pivot" isn't just another lie?

on top of that, this is what Biden and his team think of the movement. If you can vote for people that say this directly to us idk man:

And 1 more edit: I can literally post hundreds of people on who are saying they will not vote for Biden ever who don't care about this fake pivot. I can only post all the ancedotes they have about others who aren't politically active who wouldn't vote for Biden but would have for Bernie and will sit home. You just described the lesser of 2 evil btw and let me ask you something very simple.

Let's say Joe tried to pass this version of free college, how much do you want to bet he'd have to compromise on this half measure and end up changing fundamentally nothing? You literally cannot start from the center with this, if you don't go all the way you'll get nothing because that's unfortunately how our system works. All these compromise ideas are doomed to fail, republicans will laugh at them just as much as they laugh at the real deal and so will most right wing dems, so please tell me how you think this left pivot is real and how you have faith in this pathological liar to actually do what he says?

You can't say on the one hand that Joe sidesteps and pivots his opinion over time (thus being inconsistent), and then say we can't trust him to make changes because they're different from opinions he had 40 years ago. That's not how that works. I hate to say it, but the good thing about Joe Biden as of now is that he's kind of in the palm of our hands. He has to unite the democratic party, many of which are progressives, and that requires promises. Now could he backpedal on this stuff in the general? Sure. Could he do it under his presidency? Sure, but I don't think it's too likely, because these are already compromises as is. 

I'm not saying these people don't exist, but I think the reality is, while the progressive block in the democratic primary is big, they aren't even doing a good job representing themselves, and most of those people will probably end up voting for Biden. If anything, a lot of those voters would probably have higher turnout in a general than a primary anyways, because that's generally the case. So when you say that "The Us in that will not move to Biden", you are categorically wrong. Even among Hillary Clinton, a candidate way less likeable and with much more baggage for Sanders supporters, still 85% of his supporters ended up voting for her. 

And look. Like I said. I agree with the pathos of what you're saying, I really think just electing incremental politicians for the rest of our lives is a bad idea. And people really shouldn't have to vote for a candidate they don't like, because it's slightly better than an alternative, let alone entire parties. However, what I explained was not a lesser of two evils. A lesser of two evils is a concept based on hating both candidates almost equally, and thinking that both have intentions which will either lead to problems for the country or so little change that it comes at the expense of the American public. I don't think either is the case for Joe Biden, he's just getting us to that same path just slower. I won't lie, I'm a little worried about what a Biden win would signal to the party as I think it could essentially put in cement that progressives can't win an election, at the same time, the policies and political mind-share have already been won by progressives in reality. 

And let's be honest, Biden can't fall back on these campaign promises. Not when they are the biggest reason for progressives and youth voters to join his side. There's not even a valid comparison to be made between the level of scrutiny one gets for changing their opinion over the course of decades behind the scenes in the senate, and doing so on a campaign trail for presidency. 2016 showed more than anything that depressed voters can't win elections. Despite winning the popular vote, Hillary still lost, and I think a lot of that is (besides the electoral college obviously) because many of her voters were depressed voters. They didn't get people in-line. They didn't draw huge turnout. People weren't convincing their friends to go vote. Sure, she already won the popular vote, but she could have made that win even more convincing, and she didn't. And that's really not shown to be the case for Biden, if anything it's the exact opposite if you compare voter turnout for states that had previously already had primaries. 

Also while I think Sanders campaign would push for a more left-leaning compromise, I don't think the fact that he pushed for no compromises originally would lead to less compromise inherently in execution. I do think it's possible that Sanders would have a more left-leaning compromise, I mean, that's why I voted for him in the end. But that's an oddly bizarre take in general, and doesn't make a lot of sense. Compromises are not like a binary thing where, every time something is proposed, there is automatically a compromise. It's more like whenever something is too far left of something, compromises have to be made to draw those congressmen in. As it is, some democrats might not even vote for Bernie's proposals, whereas Biden's would probably be way more popular in congress, and we may even flip the senate. 

And at this point, as a Bernie supporter, I've learned to detach these politicians from their supporters, even their campaign staff. I think it's really odd to highlight Biden's campaign as being disrespectful in this regard when, Bernie's staff has gotten criticisms for a lot of the same things. I would think, if anything, the number one thing you would learn as a Bernie supporter is that these staffers and fans don't represent these politicians very well (and let's be honest, policies speak louder than words). 

Around the Network
uran10 said:

That's you. Joe is a pathological liar and is owned by the 1% and the dem establishment. They don't want any real change, he himself said nothing will fundamentally change. Joe Biden is a corrupt politician and his 40 years have caused more devastation to us than Trump could ever. You trust giving him power cause I don't. I personally don't think he'd do anything of the sort that he's claiming to move left on. His entire record shows that so why should I trust his recent changes over his 40 years in power? Voting for Joe is like voting for the devil that's why #neverbiden was trending and I will say it, he can't convince me because I can never trust him. He lied the entire debate, he's been lying the entire campaign, he's been lying for so long what makes you think this "pivot" isn't just another lie?

on top of that, this is what Biden and his team think of the movement. If you can vote for people that say this directly to us idk man:

And 1 more edit: I can literally post hundreds of people on who are saying they will not vote for Biden ever who don't care about this fake pivot. I can only post all the ancedotes they have about others who aren't politically active who wouldn't vote for Biden but would have for Bernie and will sit home. You just described the lesser of 2 evil btw and let me ask you something very simple.

Let's say Joe tried to pass this version of free college, how much do you want to bet he'd have to compromise on this half measure and end up changing fundamentally nothing? You literally cannot start from the center with this, if you don't go all the way you'll get nothing because that's unfortunately how our system works. All these compromise ideas are doomed to fail, republicans will laugh at them just as much as they laugh at the real deal and so will most right wing dems, so please tell me how you think this left pivot is real and how you have faith in this pathological liar to actually do what he says?

You can't say on the one hand that Joe sidesteps and pivots his opinion over time (thus being inconsistent), and then say we can't trust him to make changes because they're different from opinions he had 40 years ago. That's not how that works. I hate to say it, but the good thing about Joe Biden as of now is that he's kind of in the palm of our hands. He has to unite the democratic party, many of which are progressives, and that requires promises. Now could he backpedal on this stuff in the general? Sure. Could he do it under his presidency? Sure, but I don't think it's too likely, because these are already compromises as is. 

I'm not saying these people don't exist, but I think the reality is, while the progressive block in the democratic primary is big, they aren't even doing a good job representing themselves, and most of those people will probably end up voting for Biden. If anything, a lot of those voters would probably have higher turnout in a general than a primary anyways, because that's generally the case. So when you say that "The Us in that will not move to Biden", you are categorically wrong. Even among Hillary Clinton, a candidate way less likeable and with much more baggage for Sanders supporters, still 85% of his supporters ended up voting for her. 

And look. Like I said. I agree with the pathos of what you're saying, I really think just electing incremental politicians for the rest of our lives is a bad idea. And people really shouldn't have to vote for a candidate they don't like, because it's slightly better than an alternative, let alone entire parties. However, what I explained was not a lesser of two evils. A lesser of two evils is a concept based on hating both candidates almost equally, and thinking that both have intentions which will either lead to problems for the country or so little change that it comes at the expense of the American public. I don't think either is the case for Joe Biden, he's just getting us to that same path just slower. I won't lie, I'm a little worried about what a Biden win would signal to the party as I think it could essentially put in cement that progressives can't win an election, at the same time, the policies and political mind-share have already been won by progressives in reality. 

And let's be honest, Biden can't fall back on these campaign promises. Not when they are the biggest reason for progressives and youth voters to join his side. There's not even a valid comparison to be made between the level of scrutiny one gets for changing their opinion over the course of decades behind the scenes in the senate, and doing so on a campaign trail for presidency. 2016 showed more than anything that depressed voters can't win elections. Despite winning the popular vote, Hillary still lost, and I think a lot of that is (besides the electoral college obviously) because many of her voters were depressed voters. They didn't get people in-line. They didn't draw huge turnout. People weren't convincing their friends to go vote. Sure, she already won the popular vote, but she could have made that win even more convincing, and she didn't. And that's really not shown to be the case for Biden, if anything it's the exact opposite if you compare voter turnout for states that had previously already had primaries. 

Also while I think Sanders campaign would push for a more left-leaning compromise, I don't think the fact that he pushed for no compromises originally would lead to less compromise inherently in execution. I do think it's possible that Sanders would have a more left-leaning compromise, I mean, that's why I voted for him in the end. But that's an oddly bizarre take in general, and doesn't make a lot of sense. Compromises are not like a binary thing where, every time something is proposed, there is automatically a compromise. It's more like whenever something is too far left of something, compromises have to be made to draw those congressmen in. As it is, some democrats might not even vote for Bernie's proposals, whereas Biden's would probably be way more popular in congress, and we may even flip the senate. 

And at this point, as a Bernie supporter, I've learned to detach these politicians from their supporters, even their campaign staff. I think it's really odd to highlight Biden's campaign as being disrespectful in this regard when, Bernie's staff has gotten criticisms for a lot of the same things. I would think, if anything, the number one thing you would learn as a Bernie supporter is that these staffers and fans don't represent these politicians very well (and let's be honest, policies speak louder than words). 

I get what you're saying, but I don't believe Biden will go through with any of this. We've been through this song and dance with Obama. He said 1 thing did another, its why progressives don't have any real trust in the system it also doesn't help that if you check the data on exit polls and what the UN says that they're also rigging the vote which again, election integrity is something I'm big on and its a big reason why I would never vote for them. Your record exists and I will vote off of what you've done, not what you're currently saying. My point is simple. I don't like Biden because I cannot trust him. He's a pathological liar and has been on the wrong side of history for the majority of 40 years. Sure Bernie can try to pull him left, but he'll pivot in the general, suppress the vote and lose (unless Trump keeps f*ing up).

Also this sends a message to the democratic party, no matter how much they screw you, no matter how much they trample on you, they will always get your vote. As long as the other guy is "super evil" they can depend on your vote and therefore don't need to give you anything cause you will always vote.

Not voting for Biden sends the message to stop taking those on the left for granted but unfortunately, they keep having this "evil" guy on the other end that you fear more so you vote for this Lesser evil. The only way to end this cycle, is to send that message clearly. Either we elect Bernie which is most likely no longer possible cause he doesn't have the balls to eviscerate Biden, or we send them a clear message in the general that we will never support their anointed candidate just because the guy on the other side is "super evil".

Quite Frankly: If we support they take us for granted, if we don't support they'll turn around and blame us for Trump even though they never do anything for us. That's the main takeaway here and we'll never get anything if we keep saying "but republican is so evil that I have to vote for this right wing dem".

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Ohio has joined other states in postponing their primary. I dont see a situation where the other 3 states have their primary tomorrow.

jason1637 said:
Ohio has joined other states in postponing their primary. I dont see a situation where the other 3 states have their primary tomorrow.

Oh wow you're fast. I had a hard time to find an article proving that:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/coronavirus-dewine-wants-to-extend-voting-to-june-2/ar-BB11gBV4

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
jason1637 said:

Oh wow you're fast. I had a hard time to find an article proving that:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/coronavirus-dewine-wants-to-extend-voting-to-june-2/ar-BB11gBV4

Officially its not done, but the governor is trying to make it so.

Around the Network

A bit irony for y'all

In all seriousness, the primaries should be postponed so everyone can safely vote. The health of our nation and the integrity of our elections are far too important.

So it seems like a judge turned down the Ohio Governor close down of Tuesdays elections.

uran10 said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't believe Biden will go through with any of this. We've been through this song and dance with Obama. He said 1 thing did another, its why progressives don't have any real trust in the system it also doesn't help that if you check the data on exit polls and what the UN says that they're also rigging the vote which again, election integrity is something I'm big on and its a big reason why I would never vote for them. Your record exists and I will vote off of what you've done, not what you're currently saying. My point is simple. I don't like Biden because I cannot trust him. He's a pathological liar and has been on the wrong side of history for the majority of 40 years. Sure Bernie can try to pull him left, but he'll pivot in the general, suppress the vote and lose (unless Trump keeps f*ing up).

Also this sends a message to the democratic party, no matter how much they screw you, no matter how much they trample on you, they will always get your vote. As long as the other guy is "super evil" they can depend on your vote and therefore don't need to give you anything cause you will always vote.

Not voting for Biden sends the message to stop taking those on the left for granted but unfortunately, they keep having this "evil" guy on the other end that you fear more so you vote for this Lesser evil. The only way to end this cycle, is to send that message clearly. Either we elect Bernie which is most likely no longer possible cause he doesn't have the balls to eviscerate Biden, or we send them a clear message in the general that we will never support their anointed candidate just because the guy on the other side is "super evil".

Quite Frankly: If we support they take us for granted, if we don't support they'll turn around and blame us for Trump even though they never do anything for us. That's the main takeaway here and we'll never get anything if we keep saying "but republican is so evil that I have to vote for this right wing dem".

This is why I'm advocating voting third party - but only if you're living in a state that's safe democratic or republican!

If third party votes go above 5% total on national level, both dems and reps should wonder what they did to push people to vote somebody else instead who doesn't have a perceived chance at winning anything.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
uran10 said:

This is why I'm advocating voting third party - but only if you're living in a state that's safe democratic or republican!

If third party votes go above 5% total on national level, both dems and reps should wonder what they did to push people to vote somebody else instead who doesn't have a perceived chance at winning anything.

We tried that in 2016, it didn't happen and unfortunately the leading green party candidate isn't even that good either. He's another one of those people pushing Russia gate. I was willing to somewhat overlook Bernie's pushing of it since he never went full on with it but this guy did so yea. This primary is just proving one thing to me tho. You can have the most popular politician out there, the one who has the best ideas in the race, the one with the biggest movement and the establishment will watch that and throw everything at it until its dead. Exit polls being so far off, major voter suppression, people are even going deep into saying vote flipping (which can lead to the first one) and I don't disagree either. There are a ton of irregularities happening and the DNC is so hell bent on anointing Biden that they're sending people to vote during a Pandemic because they know the fix is in and they want to ensure that it stays that way. They rather have people die to keep the dynamic in the race the same and I can't. I can't see myself supporting this party in the future ever right now for real. How evil do you have to be to say go vote during a pandemic?

Biden has won the Florida primary.