By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

Moren said:
tsogud said:

Don't tell me what to do

Then keep being yourself so Bernie gains a lot of sympathy.

Really makes me wonder if after Bernie wins the primary Republicans will be the enemy for once, or progressives will keep denouncing Biden, Warren, Hillary, the DNC, the media up until election day.

Issue is, these people are little different than GOP at the end of the day, at least the establishment GOP which includes most aside from maybe Rand Paul and a few others.

Also, Bernie has to get past these people before he gets a shot at the GOP and Trump, which, in all honestly I give him far less of a chance of pulling off, ironically. Media collusion and Superdelegates and such... That's why they need to be the main focus, FOR NOW. 

He didn't overcome it in 2016, despite HRC being quite unpopular by a great many, and I still contend that if he did, he would at least have been more likely to beat Trump, b/c Trump's ace in the hole over Clinton was the Rust Belt/most of the Midwest (minus my hometown of Chicago) but Bernie also had this region, to as strong a degree or greater than 45. 

Additionally, Bernie calls out Trump on a regular basic on his social media so not too sure where you're goin with that..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Have you people done the new and improved WaPo quiz of which candidate agrees the most with you?

Apparently, I'm a Steyer boy, followed by Patrick and Klobuchar. On the other hand, Yang, Gabbard and Sanders are last, though I agree at least on half the answers with all candidates except Yang.

Link for the interested - https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

haxxiy said:

Have you people done the new and improved WaPo quiz of which candidate agrees the most with you?

Apparently, I'm a Steyer boy, followed by Patrick and Klobuchar. On the other hand, Yang, Gabbard and Sanders are last, though I agree at least on half the answers with all candidates except Yang.

Link for the interested - https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

Nice link. For me it's Bernie and Liz (with 17 and 15 points respectively) followed by Yang, Gabbard and Steyer all with 8 points. Biden and Bloomberg are dead last.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

haxxiy said:

Oh, how fun! For me, the top three spots are Sanders (18), Warren (12), and Gabbard/Steyer tied (8). Biden, Bloomberg and Klobuchar are last with 3 each.

haxxiy said:

Interesting one.

I got Sanders and Warren Ex aequo, with Steyer just one point behind and Yang following just afterwards. But some questions and policies which would really put Sanders in front for me are missing imo.

The B-Team (Biden, Bennet, Bloomberg and Buttigieg), along with Kobluchar, got the least points from me.

Also, I said it before: Don't just dismiss Steyer for being a billionaire, he's a real progressive. Not quite as great as Sanders or even Warren, but still miles ahead of someone like Biden or Bloomberg (to name another billionaire).

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
LurkerJ said:

Few bits from the articles that make my eyes roll:

"Rogan has made his show a safe space for anti-Muslim bigotry as well. Islamophobia, like transphobia, has a history of being more tolerated in mainstream media outlets than other forms of bigotry, and the backlash against Rogan reflects frustration over that double standard as well."

So is Christianophobia but no one cares about that. Being Islamophobic, Christianophobic & religionphobic is not only reasonable, but necessary. After all, those religions have contributed heavily to the oppression of LGBT community throughout history & every where in the world. You should never be muslim-phobic, christian-phobic though, there is a big difference between the two.

Sick of the left taking the side of a religion that are composed of set of abhorrent believes just because there is a minority in the US that hold those value dearly. The left should stand for progressive values, not with a religion that goes completely against them just to please minorities. The mainstream believes among the majority of Muslims are far more dangerous than whatever Jo Ro ever said. 

The author seems to have accepted the fact that Rogan is a bigot and it discusses where to go from there, which is a shame, but it's Vox so my expectations were low to begin with.  

Fear is a strong feeling, and as all strong feelings it turns off rational thinking. Therefore fear is very bad for basing political decisions on. But we can't ignore the fears either, because strong feelings while detrimental to rational thinking are still real and existant. We should therefore reduce the fears and reintroduce thinking rational about the issues. Most christians and most muslims are fine, and I say that as an atheist. Some of the messages in the religious texts are harmful, but over the centuries people got used to ignoring stuff in their religious texts or reinterpret it. Still, there are a few christian fundamentalists and islamic fundamentalists, that are damaging or endagering society (Westboro Baptist Church for instance). We shouldn't ignore these real dangers, but also shouldn't vilify everyone in these religious groups.

I want also add, that as fear is a strong emotion, it is despicable to use said fear for political gain. Fearmongering is used among the left and the right, and in both cases it is hurtful for all.

We largely agree, I specifically mentioned no one should be muslims-phobic or christians-phobic, in other words, never vilify the individuals. Being religion-phobic on the other hand, is reasonable, this is why the term islamophobia irks me. You say that humans learned to ignore the harmful stuff in religious texts, the evidence suggests otherwise for some religions, especially when we're looking at the global picture, not just the western one. 

The left has turned standing up for minorities into a mission, even when it doesn't make sense. The main focus should be standing up for the oppressed, not minorities, as not all minorities are oppressed after all.

Jo Ro has made his podcast "a safe space" for anti-christian "bigotry" as well, but that Vox article fails to mention any of that. If you actually believe that being critical of religions spreads religion-phobia, then you should definitely criticize Jo Ro for spreading "bigotry" against Christianity and being Christianophobic, but no one does that because we rightfully believe religions aren't above criticism........ until you inject the word "minority" then all rational thinking is thrown out of the window, for example, Muslims are a "minority" in the west, so Rogan allowing guests to be openly critical of Islam HAS TO be a problem, on other hand, no one is trying to cancel him over his identically hostile behavior against Christianity, not that I want anyone to do that, I am an atheist after all, but I can't help pointing out the hypocrisy.

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 28 January 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
haxxiy said:

Interesting one.

I got Sanders and Warren Ex aequo, with Steyer just one point behind and Yang following just afterwards. But some questions and policies which would really put Sanders in front for me are missing imo.

The B-Team (Biden, Bennet, Bloomberg and Buttigieg), along with Kobluchar, got the least points from me.

Also, I said it before: Don't just dismiss Steyer for being a billionaire, he's a real progressive. Not quite as great as Sanders or even Warren, but still miles ahead of someone like Biden or Bloomberg (to name another billionaire).

I'm gonna have to hard disagree with you on the Steyer comment. Up until last year, he was a board member of CAP. You know the one that Neera "The ghoul herself" Tanden runs? If you're associated with CAP, especially as a board member, that's not only a red flag, but that's disqualifying.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/business/joseph-vazquez/2019/08/12/candidate-tom-steyer-resigns-center-american-progress-board

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

haxxiy said:

Interesting.. Though I question how accurate this is given it was cobbled together by just a few people at WaPo and only consists of 20 random questions. Not enough to cover the bulk of these candidates' ideals, policies, etc. Regardless:

12:
Bloomberg (honestly shocked haha)
Gabbard
Steyer
Patrick (who..?)

11:
Biden (again, pretty shocked!)
Buttigieg
Klobuchar
Yang

10:
Bennet

8:
Warren

7:
Bernie - this is what surprises me most, as Bernie is my #3 after Gabbard and Yang, and many of his messages/philosophy resonates with me. Though ultimately I guess I AM more moderate, and these days I tend to support Bernie more based off his support of Tulsi and empathizing with the smears against him, more so than agreeing w/all his policies beat for beat. Overall I just trust him more, especially more than the old guard establishment like Biden.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

538 notices Sanders surge: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-sanders-is-pulling-closer-to-biden-but-hes-still-got-a-ways-to-go/

There are a few things to notice here, which aren't covered in the article. First: the model includes expected bounces from winning primaries. So if the model expects Sanders to win Iowa closely, but actually Biden does win by a hair, it consequently changes the outcomes of the following races. Similarly the model has a baked in bounce bonus for the early states. That may or may not be the reality. If not for instance that would be good news for Bloomberg who doesn't focus on the early states. But how much the effect of the early states actually is, is hard to really put a finger on. As this is the first primary model by 538 the effect are hand-picked numbers for the four early states.

For more information look at how the model works: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-fivethirtyeight-2020-primary-model-works/

Also note the following: even small changes in polling for Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg are important for delegates, because of the 15% rule. The more states a candidate actually goes above 15%, the more overall delegates this candidate gets and the more loses the winner of the state. Actually a small change in polling probably has a smaller effect on the states winner as if another candidate ends up with 14% or 16% in that same state. In the second case the winner probably loses more delegates, even if he also gains 2%. That is also something to keep in mind and watch for in the polls.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

DarthMetalliCube said:
haxxiy said:

Interesting.. Though I question how accurate this is given it was cobbled together by just a few people at WaPo and only consists of 20 random questions. Not enough to cover the bulk of these candidates' ideals, policies, etc. Regardless:

12:
Bloomberg (honestly shocked haha)
Gabbard
Steyer
Patrick (who..?)

11:
Biden (again, pretty shocked!)
Buttigieg
Klobuchar
Yang

10:
Bennet

8:
Warren

7:
Bernie - this is what surprises me most, as Bernie is my #3 after Gabbard and Yang, and many of his messages/philosophy resonates with me. Though ultimately I guess I AM more moderate, and these days I tend to support Bernie more based off his support of Tulsi and empathizing with the smears against him, more so than agreeing w/all his policies beat for beat. Overall I just trust him more, especially more than the old guard establishment like Biden.

Well, this is a nice little game, but not a real political predictor. There are nuances that can't be captured by this quiz, there is the selection of questions, there is the probability that the candidate keeps his campaign trail promises if elected. It might be helpful to click on the notes what the candidates actually said, that made WaPo put them into one of the possible groups of answers.