By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell more, Animal Crossing Switch or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Tagged games:

I think the bigger seller will be...

Animal Crossing 63 42.28%

Pokemon Sword/Shield 86 57.72%

Total:149
mZuzek said:
melbye said:

But there probably will be a new Pokemon of some kind in 2020 and that would obviously cut the legs of Sword/Shield.

Wasn't the same true for the DS and 3DS Pokémon games vs. Animal Crossing Wild World and New Leaf? It just doesn't matter how crazy Animal Crossing's legs may be, Pokémon always sells insane numbers and it'll sell even more insane numbers on the Switch.

Also, X/Y sold 4 million copies after the release of OR/AS, so no, it's not like the game's sales just stop completely after the next release.

I just think Animal Crossing is going to be bigger than it has ever been

Around the Network
melbye said:
mZuzek said:

Wasn't the same true for the DS and 3DS Pokémon games vs. Animal Crossing Wild World and New Leaf? It just doesn't matter how crazy Animal Crossing's legs may be, Pokémon always sells insane numbers and it'll sell even more insane numbers on the Switch.

Also, X/Y sold 4 million copies after the release of OR/AS, so no, it's not like the game's sales just stop completely after the next release.

I just think Animal Crossing is going to be bigger than it has ever been

But it's also possible, maybe close to likely, that Pokemon can be bigger than it has ever been, since Gen 2, possibly, as its Gen 8 on the Switch? Pokemon Let's Go was able to sell 10 million in 2 months as sort of a B-tier type of game.

I have never really gotten into animal crossing, so my vote is for pokemon.

MasonADC said:
Animal crossing will not be the focus of e3. ill be surprise if it’s playable

AC is this year's game, so it should be playable at E3.

Miyamotoo said:
MasonADC said:
Animal crossing will not be the focus of e3. ill be surprise if it’s playable

What does this mean? It is a game coming out this year, but that doesn’t mean it will be playable. 

Around the Network

Pokemon Sword and Shield. There's a chance that Animal Crossing could overtake it due to the Pokemon games saturating the market. I don't think it's likely, though.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm surprised these games are even being compared. Pokemon seems the natural choice. Animal Crossing is big, but it's not Pokemon big.

Yeah still Pokemon. Animal Crossing is big, but it’s best selling title didn’t come close to mainline Pokemon’s least selling title. I expect both to do above their respective series’s averages due to the “Switch Effect” ( c ), but that just means Pokemon still wins.

EDIT: Lol apparently puttin a ‘c’ in brackets gives this .

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 08 March 2019

Animal Crossing outselling Pokemon lifetime would be way less incredible than The Legend of Zelda selling as well as 3D Mario, or a Mario Party making a huge comeback, or Splatoon 2 selling 10 million lifetime, and yet all of those things are happening on Switch. And, looking at the performance of handheld Animal Crossings when compared to 3D Marios, it would be about as big as Mario selling as well lifetime as a Pokemon title ... which is looking more likely to happen by the day. And while Pokemon will get an increase, maybe even a big one, we've already seen what happens when one of the best launches ever gets squandered by an annual release schedule ... you get Sun and Moon. 

Not saying it will happen but it's way more likely than people are giving it credit for, and I'm actually surprised after so many people started to notice the Switch trend of breaking records that people are just completely neglecting the possibility. I mean, either way Pokemon has way more selling power than Animal Crossing. 

MasonADC said:
Miyamotoo said:

What does this mean? It is a game coming out this year, but that doesn’t mean it will be playable. 

It means that game is coming this year and that most likely will be playable at E3.