Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell more, Animal Crossing Switch or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Tagged games:

I think the bigger seller will be...

Animal Crossing 63 42.28%

Pokemon Sword/Shield 86 57.72%

Total:149
SpokenTruth said:

The shipped/sold issue is what I was going to bring up next.  I found a graphic online for sold figures for the Pokemon games but I haven't verified the numbers yet.

What's there to verify when it is an image from an earlier Nintendo presentation to investors? 12.28m sell-through through nine weeks is obviously less than AC's 13.41m through only six weeks. If I had remembered that particular image, I could have saved myself the time to do deductive reasoning from shipment numbers.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
RolStoppable said:

That's correct. Nintendo is talking about sell-through through six weeks and provides the figure for AC while figures for other games are undisclosed.

Pokémon Sword & Shield shipped 16.06m copies during its launch quarter (roughly six weeks on sale), but shipped isn't the same thing as sell-through. The new Pokémon shipped only 1.31m during its follow-up quarter despite robust continued sell-through; that points to overshipping in the launch quarter.

In any case, we cannot tell how many units other Nintendo games sold through in their first six weeks, but we do know that Nintendo isn't going to lie in a statement to investors. AC is definitely the fastest-selling Nintendo game ever, with fastest being defined as a timeframe of six weeks from launch.

The shipped/sold issue is what I was going to bring up next.  I found a graphic online for sold figures for the Pokemon games but I haven't verified the numbers yet.

That should be fine as that's Nintendo's graphic

RolStoppable said:
SpokenTruth said:

What's there to verify when it is an image from an earlier Nintendo presentation to investors? 12.28m sell-through through nine weeks is obviously less than AC's 13.41m through only six weeks. If I had remembered that particular image, I could have saved myself the time to do deductive reasoning from shipment numbers.

I mean I didn't pull that from Nintendo.  It came from someone else.  I hadn't checked the previous IR reports to match up the image yet.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

I remember when I used to think 6-7M for MK8D was a solid performance.

Edit: Oops. Wrong thread.

Last edited by Moren - on 07 May 2020

Moren said:
I remember when I used to think 6-7M for MK8D was a solid performance.

Technically 6-7m would still be solid maybe even above solid as most of the industry don't get close to that.

Around the Network

Yeah its over lol.

newwil7l said:
Yeah its over lol.

Pokemon still has a 4 million lead, could take a while for AC to catch up lifetime, depending on how Pokemon's legs hold up this year with the expansions.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Oh wow I didn't even realize the 16 million for pokemon in holiday quarter was shipped not sold, while AC 13.4 million in 6 weeks is sold not shipped. Anyway, considering Pokemon's second quarter was only 1.3 million and seeing that AC was still selling just under 300k/week in japan alone by I guess that 6th week it seems likely AC will be start quickly closing the 4 million unit gap that currently exists. Still might take until end of year for AC to pass Pokemon when they both go over 20 million but I don't think Pokemon has any chance of beating AC long term.

Pokemon 17.37 and AC 11.77 through the 1st quarter. I could see Pokemon doing something like 18.5, 19.5, 21 for the last three quarters of this year, while AC i could see doing 16.5, 19, 22.

13.4 million unit sold through number just for US/EU/JP, we knew about insane popularity of ACNH in Asian countries like SK and Taiwan.

ACNH is the fastest selling Nintendo Game ever and rip in advance Pokemon SwSh

I think Animal Crossing. I mean, when the new Pokémon games (they may be DP remakes or 9th generation) come out, Sword and Shield will sell much less. Instead ACNH is the only game series of this generation, it will continue selling for the whole Nintendo Switch life cycle.