By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell more, Animal Crossing Switch or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Tagged games:

I think the bigger seller will be...

Animal Crossing 63 42.28%

Pokemon Sword/Shield 86 57.72%

Total:149

Pokémon’s title of bigger IP may not be going anywhere soon. However, I do think NH stands a chance at beating even R/B/G’s lt sales, which is just absurd considering those games have always been on their own level along with the original Super Mario Bros as far as non-bundled/single platform games go. ACNH sales are shaping up to be something the likes of which we’ve rarely (if ever) seen in the industry (a massive launch seller that also happens to be tailor made to be a long lasting evergreen seller). The only other thing that compares would be GTA V, except that was multi-platform and practically on every system, not just one.

Around the Network
MasonADC said:
Jumpin said:
Yeah, I guess the answer is very clear now. Animal Crossing is substantially bigger than Pokemon.

That’s crazy to say now. Even if ACNH does outsell SWSH, that just means ACNH is bigger than SWSH. Not that animal crossing is bigger than pokemon 

You're being pedantic, obviously I am talking about the two latest flagship games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
MasonADC said:

That’s crazy to say now. Even if ACNH does outsell SWSH, that just means ACNH is bigger than SWSH. Not that animal crossing is bigger than pokemon 

You're being pedantic, obviously I am talking about the two latest flagship games.

You should say that then, cause animal crossing isn’t bigger than pokemon

ACNH is indeed bigger than SwSh and the most eventful game this year. Probably setting Animal Crossing in a new field of popularity and fame

But it's not true ACNH is the most prolific IP in Nintendo right now not even if we talk about game market only. Firstly because Mario exists and this little guy is the face of dozen of successful games. Second because of Pokemon Go: It grossed almost 900 million USD last year, and well, we're talking about a free mobile game so it's very clear it will gross some hundred of million dollars again this year in the next years

AC is booming, but still having too much space left to grown. As a new fan, I'm excited to see what Nintendo will do with the brand

At this point I'm thinking Animal Crossing will do bigger LT numbers. Sword and Shield will no doubt see future installments/generations on the Switch and it seems more likely that Nintendo would drop a New Horizons follow-up on the Switch successor to drive sales.

Both should easily break 20M, which is crazy.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

ACNH is gonna do 35m+ lt, especially if Nintendo really doesn’t have much ready to release this year now with Corona. I can see a scenario where it wins every quarter this year on Switch if a new Paper Mario and some kind of Super Mario remaster are the biggest guns they have left this year.

Animal Crossing's success shows Pokemon was a missed opportunity.

HyrulianScrolls said:
ACNH is gonna do 35m+ lt, especially if Nintendo really doesn’t have much ready to release this year now with Corona. I can see a scenario where it wins every quarter this year on Switch if a new Paper Mario and some kind of Super Mario remaster are the biggest guns they have left this year.

This seems to be implying that additional games releasing would hurt it's sales. If so, do you think Breath of the Wild would have sold as much if MK8D, Splatoon 2, Smash, Pokemon, etc. didn't exist? Admittedly a silly question, the Wii U already showed us how well a game can do without many other titles to support it.

first time seeing this thread. i know its easy to say in hindsight, but it feels like it was quite clear that AC would win out even before the pandemic became such a huge deal. the pent up demand for this game was insane, makes the already incredible social media presence of pokemon look like nothing in comparison.

this isnt to take away fro SW/SH of course - they will easily end up as the 2nd or 3rd best selling games ever for the franchise. maybe even the number 1 game when it comes to revenue.

13.41 in 6 weeks so essentially even with ACNH's new found lift it's still behind as going from Sw/Sh's release date of the 15th which is 6 weeks and a few days until the end of December Sw/Sh is still ahead in the same time frame by 3m the have been arguments about the latter's legs being gone but it sold 1.4m last quarter only MK8 sold more as a non new release.