By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dead or Alive 6 has a $93 Season Pass

Tagged games:

Neodegenerate said:
Machiavellian said:

Why do people keep throwing Smash into the mix.  Smash is no way the same type of fighting game as Dead or Alive or any of the one vs one fighters.  Do you actually believe that one fighting stage in Dead or Alive takes the same type of effort as a fighting stage in Smash.  Hell you can also throw character development as well, move list, animation and effects.  Usually when a fighter is released on any of the other fighters they also come with their own stage and multiple costumes.  Also, lets not talk about Smash story mode as you are not doing the same thing over and over again but with some cutscenes in the middle.

Smash is a 4 player 2D brawler which is not in the same category as Dead or Alive and definitely cannot be compared in the same scope of effort.

You are a bit more worked up about this topic than I am.  To correct one thing though, Smash is a game built using 3D models.  It is just presented by the camera as a 2D game because that is the aesthetic and feel they are going for.

You also may have misquoted me here.  My post is pointing out the hypocrisy of some people who are swearing off fighters with DLC practices but simultaneously singing the praises of Smash Ultimate, another game with DLC practices.

We all know smash is clearly a game using 3D models.  It's like saying MK11 is 2D.  That's not the point.  You need more character animations to move in a 3D space than you do to move in a 2D space.  Character don't need 8 way walking animations, or side-steps, or any sort of movement that moves along the Z-axis.  2D characters don't need "while side-stepping" attacks, which are attacks, you can only do while walking around the opponent.  Smash brothers doesn't even have "while rising" attacks either.

Smash brothers is 2D.  So is Mortal Kombat 11.

Also, smash brothers isn't doing anything wrong with it's DLC.  DoA6's price point is no where near equilibrium, and that is the issue here.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
Neodegenerate said:

You are a bit more worked up about this topic than I am.  To correct one thing though, Smash is a game built using 3D models.  It is just presented by the camera as a 2D game because that is the aesthetic and feel they are going for.

You also may have misquoted me here.  My post is pointing out the hypocrisy of some people who are swearing off fighters with DLC practices but simultaneously singing the praises of Smash Ultimate, another game with DLC practices.

We all know smash is clearly a game using 3D models.  It's like saying MK11 is 2D.  That's not the point.  You need more character animations to move in a 3D space than you do to move in a 2D space.  Character don't need 8 way walking animations, or side-steps, or any sort of movement that moves along the Z-axis.  2D characters don't need "while side-stepping" attacks, which are attacks, you can only do while walking around the opponent.  Smash brothers doesn't even have "while rising" attacks either.

Smash brothers is 2D.  So is Mortal Kombat 11.

Also, smash brothers isn't doing anything wrong with it's DLC.  DoA6's price point is no where near equilibrium, and that is the issue here.

No it isn't, but as has been brought up it is following the same path as DoA5's did.  So either A. DoA devs are fine with their model or B. they are giving it one last go before changing.

My postings have more been about all the other posts talking about how ALL fighting game DLC is a rip off or "cut content" while giving a pass to games they like in the genre, regardless of personal taste for it.

The base game of DoA 6 is the full game. The dlc is just optional characters and costumes. There are way more characters and costumes in the base game than necessary already and the amount of work and detail that went into this game makes it well worth the $60 they ask for it.

I'll stick to Smash Bros Ultimate....

ThatDreamcastTho said:
The base game of DoA 6 is the full game. The dlc is just optional characters and costumes. There are way more characters and costumes in the base game than necessary already and the amount of work and detail that went into this game makes it well worth the $60 they ask for it.

The full game is just that.. Full.  Complete.  If that were the case, there would be 0 DLC.  Do you need the DLC?  No.. Just like how you don't need the game either.  They can keep it because I don't think it's worth the asking price and I'm not supporting their business model.  You need DLC characters to be able to train against them, and be aware of what your enemy can do with those characters.

Anyone who says otherwise, is someone who only plays the AI, and never takes the game online, or is really low in terms of their online rank.  Anyone who's looking to get more out of the game will no doubt be disappointed that two characters are locked behind an additional pay wall.  More than the cost of the entire game.

Neodegenerate said:

No it isn't, but as has been brought up it is following the same path as DoA5's did.  So either A. DoA devs are fine with their model or B. they are giving it one last go before changing.

My postings have more been about all the other posts talking about how ALL fighting game DLC is a rip off or "cut content" while giving a pass to games they like in the genre, regardless of personal taste for it.

Mortal Kombat 9, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 didn't do it.  Tekken 7 re-used older characters as DLC, but Tekken 7 has been around since 2015.  It's 2019.  I'm sure there was a lot of work getting those characters ready for the new game.  Julia doesn't even have the same voice.  In fact, they screwed up julia's entire personality.

Guilty Gear Xrd, and Blazblue: chrono phantasma or whatever the newest one is (not the crossover) didn't do it either.

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
Machiavellian said:

Why do people keep throwing Smash into the mix.  Smash is no way the same type of fighting game as Dead or Alive or any of the one vs one fighters.  Do you actually believe that one fighting stage in Dead or Alive takes the same type of effort as a fighting stage in Smash.  Hell you can also throw character development as well, move list, animation and effects.  Usually when a fighter is released on any of the other fighters they also come with their own stage and multiple costumes.  Also, lets not talk about Smash story mode as you are not doing the same thing over and over again but with some cutscenes in the middle.

Smash is a 4 player 2D brawler which is not in the same category as Dead or Alive and definitely cannot be compared in the same scope of effort.

No I am not worked up at all in this thread, just sharing my opinion.

As to your second paragraph, I do admit that I was confused about your point..

Burning Typhoon said:
ThatDreamcastTho said:

The full game is just that.. Full.  Complete.  If that were the case, there would be 0 DLC.  Do you need the DLC?  No.. Just like how you don't need the game either.  They can keep it because I don't think it's worth the asking price and I'm not supporting their business model.  You need DLC characters to be able to train against them, and be aware of what your enemy can do with those characters.

Anyone who says otherwise, is someone who only plays the AI, and never takes the game online, or is really low in terms of their online rank.  Anyone who's looking to get more out of the game will no doubt be disappointed that two characters are locked behind an additional pay wall.  More than the cost of the entire game.

Thats a fallacy to say that there would be no DLC if the base game was not complete.  DLC is a revenue maker.  In other words if the main game was dependent on the DLC then you would have a point but no where in the DLC for this game is it required.  If you  need the extra characters for online play then just purchase the individual characters.  You do not have to purchase the Full Monty season pass.  Its like you forget that you do have options.

Burning Typhoon said:
ThatDreamcastTho said:

Neodegenerate said:

Mortal Kombat 9, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 didn't do it.  Tekken 7 re-used older characters as DLC, but Tekken 7 has been around since 2015.  It's 2019.  I'm sure there was a lot of work getting those characters ready for the new game.  Julia doesn't even have the same voice.  In fact, they screwed up julia's entire personality.

Guilty Gear Xrd, and Blazblue: chrono phantasma or whatever the newest one is (not the crossover) didn't do it either.

I think we are arguing the same point here.  Nowadays game creation isn't about just getting your product out the door for 60 bucks after X years of development and then moving on to the next title like it was back in the 90s and early 2000s.  It is as much about player retention and added revenue as it is about the initial release.  Making the player feel like they need to hold on to the game and not turn it back in to Gamestop after beating it.  Whether they have the characters for season pass 3 or 4 on a roadmap or not, they probably don't have them developed.  Using Tekken 7 as an example, I seriously doubt Negan was on the list day 1 and cut from the game until last month's release of his DLC pack.

Burning Typhoon said:
ThatDreamcastTho said:

Neodegenerate said:

It is my understanding that when the DLC characters become playable they will be available for purchase individually. If they are reasonably priced, I will probably pick them up.

Machiavellian said:
Burning Typhoon said:

Thats a fallacy to say that there would be no DLC if the base game was not complete.  DLC is a revenue maker.  In other words if the main game was dependent on the DLC then you would have a point but no where in the DLC for this game is it required.  If you  need the extra characters for online play then just purchase the individual characters.  You do not have to purchase the Full Monty season pass.  Its like you forget that you do have options.

DLC is a part of the game.  If the game was completed, it would mean you have all the game's DLC, in which case, there's is 0 DLC left to get.  Not ever game has DLC, either.  God of War had no DLC.  And no, the DLC isn't required.  You can play with a portion of the game if you like.  I'm not setting for a 93 dollar pass that isn't even a guarantee that I'll get all DLC that comes in the 3 months, and in 3 months, another 93 dollar pass?  With two characters?

They can keep the entire game.  I wouldn't pay a penny over 20 bucks for it, and I'm not paying more than 30 dollars for the DLC.