By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dead or Alive 6 has a $93 Season Pass

Tagged games:

Machiavellian said:
Burning Typhoon said:

I haven't forgotten about other options.  So that money I could have spent on DoA6 if the game was priced reasonably, to buy a second PS3.  Now only if transferring data from one to the other didn't take 3 days without pausing at 79%....  The point being, there's other things I can do with my money.  This new PS3 cost more than DoA6 would have, but I finally have a CECHA01 model.

So lets break this down.  The Season pass cost 90+ bones give or take a few bucks.  It gives you 2 characters and 62 costumes.  Its said that you can purchase each character for 5 bones apiece.  So lets say 10 bucks for the 2 characters and you are covered for Online rank match play without having to shell out 90 bucks or more.  I am not sure if I see a problem here.  Do you really need those 62 costumes.

In the middle of the bad press of the season pass, I never even knew you could get those characters separately.  which means, you're paying 80 dollars for 65 costumes.  What can I say other than I refuse to support a company that does this?  It's crazy.

ThatDreamcastTho said:

The base game already comes with 15 costumes for each character. That is more than enough!

That's subjective.  There's is no excuse and it's scary that you'd come to defense of a company over the dollar of the consumer.  Especially when there's this thing called economic equilibrium which benefits both the business and consumer, but in this case, has been thrown completely out the window.  I don't want to see this practice continuously tried elsewhere.  But, one day, you'll see this:

"While we are extremely grateful to our most dedicated of fans buying every bit of our game's content, you're not supposed to buy everything. You buy what you uniquely want. It's a benefit because not only is it not pay to win, you're not going to see too many people using the same DLC as you, keeping the game looking fresh."

Games are going to become a mini-service, released as $60 betas at this rate.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
Machiavellian said:

So lets break this down.  The Season pass cost 90+ bones give or take a few bucks.  It gives you 2 characters and 62 costumes.  Its said that you can purchase each character for 5 bones apiece.  So lets say 10 bucks for the 2 characters and you are covered for Online rank match play without having to shell out 90 bucks or more.  I am not sure if I see a problem here.  Do you really need those 62 costumes.

In the middle of the bad press of the season pass, I never even knew you could get those characters separately.  which means, you're paying 80 dollars for 65 costumes.  What can I say other than I refuse to support a company that does this?  It's crazy.

ThatDreamcastTho said:

The base game already comes with 15 costumes for each character. That is more than enough!

That's subjective.  There's is no excuse and it's scary that you'd come to defense of a company over the dollar of the consumer.  Especially when there's this thing called economic equilibrium which benefits both the business and consumer, but in this case, has been thrown completely out the window.  I don't want to see this practice continuously tried elsewhere.  But, one day, you'll see this:

"While we are extremely grateful to our most dedicated of fans buying every bit of our game's content, you're not supposed to buy everything. You buy what you uniquely want. It's a benefit because not only is it not pay to win, you're not going to see too many people using the same DLC as you, keeping the game looking fresh."

You keep saying there is no excuse but you have absolutely no ideal the effort involved in creating the extra content.  62 costumes seems like a hell of a lot of costumes.  Its not like the main game is missing in this department.  Either way, I understand you not willing to purchase the season pass because of the price but then again its not like the season pass is giving you nothing.  I just wonder if its more relisted then anything else to have a season pass at that cost even if it has all of those costumes.  Its not priced for the average gamer but as long as you have the choice to purchase the characters and the costume you want, still not see the issue.

Machiavellian said:
Burning Typhoon said:

You keep saying there is no excuse but you have absolutely no ideal the effort involved in creating the extra content.  62 costumes seems like a hell of a lot of costumes.  Its not like the main game is missing in this department.  Either way, I understand you not willing to purchase the season pass because of the price but then again its not like the season pass is giving you nothing.  I just wonder if its more relisted then anything else to have a season pass at that cost even if it has all of those costumes.  Its not priced for the average gamer but as long as you have the choice to purchase the characters and the costume you want, still not see the issue.

And you have no idea what economic equilibrium is.  It's a digital product.  You can mitigate costs to a higher number of users if you simply lower the price.  More people paying a lower price is better than less people paying a higher price, when it comes to a digital product that' going to remain on servers for the next 10+ years..  There is no excuse for this.  If something costs 1000 dollars to make, are you going to charge 1 person 1000 dollars, or are you going to charge 50 people 20 dollars.  You don't have to use such outragious pricing.  I don't care how much development resources you put into making 65 costumes, which eclipses 1.5 x the cost of the game.  If there's 15 costumes per character, and you feel like 93 dollars is justified, then perhaps the game itself should cost over 2000 dollars, since you get 15 costumes per character anyway.

This company is greedy..  I'm not supporting them.  I don't care what the game plays like.  Lower the price, or I'm not touching it.

Burning Typhoon said:
Machiavellian said:

And you have no idea what economic equilibrium is.  It's a digital product.  You can mitigate costs to a higher number of users if you simply lower the price.  More people paying a lower price is better than less people paying a higher price, when it comes to a digital product that' going to remain on servers for the next 10+ years..  There is no excuse for this.  If something costs 1000 dollars to make, are you going to charge 1 person 1000 dollars, or are you going to charge 50 people 20 dollars.  You don't have to use such outragious pricing.  I don't care how much development resources you put into making 65 costumes, which eclipses 1.5 x the cost of the game.  If there's 15 costumes per character, and you feel like 93 dollars is justified, then perhaps the game itself should cost over 2000 dollars, since you get 15 costumes per character anyway.

This company is greedy..  I'm not supporting them.  I don't care what the game plays like.  Lower the price, or I'm not touching it.

You continue to believe what you think is an acceptable price for this content is the same for the developer or anyone else.  As you stated, you do not care what it takes to develop anything.  Only thing you care about is how much you pay for something.  They could have included a thousand costumes and you probably would still be bitching about the price.  The thing is if you offer to sell things individually your full content price must reflect that and probably should be cheaper.  I am guessing costumes will be 2 bucks and i believe we already know the price for the characters.  2 times 62 is 124 bucks.  There you go, you are getting your money worth.

You get me confused, I do not pay for DLC, so I care nothing about how much it cost.  I only care about the main game and if the main game is complete in my eyes then that is all I need.  I am definitely not going to ding the product for DLC I probably will never purchase unless its ultra cheap.

Machiavellian said:

You continue to believe what you think is an acceptable price for this content is the same for the developer or anyone else.  As you stated, you do not care what it takes to develop anything.  Only thing you care about is how much you pay for something.  They could have included a thousand costumes and you probably would still be bitching about the price.  The thing is if you offer to sell things individually your full content price must reflect that and probably should be cheaper.  I am guessing costumes will be 2 bucks and i believe we already know the price for the characters.  2 times 62 is 124 bucks.  There you go, you are getting your money worth.

You get me confused, I do not pay for DLC, so I care nothing about how much it cost.  I only care about the main game and if the main game is complete in my eyes then that is all I need.  I am definitely not going to ding the product for DLC I probably will never purchase unless its ultra cheap.

I have no reason to care about what the development cost for the game is. GTAV cost 500 million dollars to develop, the game was still 60, and they still made profit without a 93 dollar, 4 month season pass.  It can't be too much.  The story is bad, and all the characters from previous games have reused assets.  I have hundreds of games.  Development costs isn't what I need to think about for a single one of them.  If I were developing the game, and in charge of the budget in some way, then it's my concern.  As someone who's playing the game, I have no reason to care.  Manage your budget properly and you wont have to have a 93 dollar season pass.  It's digital software that is going to sit in a digital store for at least 10 years.  Don't tell me they can't make their money by charging lower prices and sell to a larger group of people.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
Machiavellian said:

I have no reason to care about what the development cost for the game is. GTAV cost 500 million dollars to develop, the game was still 60, and they still made profit without a 93 dollar, 4 month season pass.  It can't be too much.  The story is bad, and all the characters from previous games have reused assets.  I have hundreds of games.  Development costs isn't what I need to think about for a single one of them.  If I were developing the game, and in charge of the budget in some way, then it's my concern.  As someone who's playing the game, I have no reason to care.  Manage your budget properly and you wont have to have a 93 dollar season pass.  It's digital software that is going to sit in a digital store for at least 10 years.  Don't tell me they can't make their money by charging lower prices and sell to a larger group of people.

GTAV is the best selling game of all time. When you have scale like that the equilibrium price is much cheaper than a niche fighting game. Do you want to live in a world where the only game anyone plays is GTA?

ThatDreamcastTho said:

GTAV is the best selling game of all time. When you have scale like that the equilibrium price is much cheaper than a niche fighting game. Do you want to live in a world where the only game anyone plays is GTA?

What difference does it make?  GTAV doesn't have an issue of charging 1300 dollars for all of it's content.  The DLC is 93 dollars rather I use GTAV as an example, or Tekken 7, or Mortal Kombat XL, or Killer Instinct. 93 dollars is more than enough to complete all those "niche fighters" or GTAV.  I'm not saying anything more on this.

Burning Typhoon said:
Machiavellian said:

There you go throwing in another game that has nothing to do with this one.  For some reason you believe every developer has the same pocket book or each game has the same dynamics.  Just with that though alone you totally miss the point.  Do you believe Dead or Alive will sell anything close to GTA.  

Lets be honest, if Dead or Alive didn't have a shred of DLC you probably would not purchase it anyway.  It really seems you want to complain about a season pass you do not have to pay for and totally dismissing that you have options to get items individually.  So what if the season pass is 93 bucks, no one is asking you to pay for it.  Its priced that high because guess what, there are people who are willing to pay the price.  Its that thing called supply and demand.  You do not price your product for how much it cost to make, you price it for what the market will support.  They do not have to charge lower when you can purchase individually.  You continue to forget that part and you continue to dismiss it because it doesn't support your argument.

Machiavellian said:
Burning Typhoon said:

There you go throwing in another game that has nothing to do with this one.  For some reason you believe every developer has the same pocket book or each game has the same dynamics.  Just with that though alone you totally miss the point.  Do you believe Dead or Alive will sell anything close to GTA.  

Lets be honest, if Dead or Alive didn't have a shred of DLC you probably would not purchase it anyway.  It really seems you want to complain about a season pass you do not have to pay for and totally dismissing that you have options to get items individually.  So what if the season pass is 93 bucks, no one is asking you to pay for it.  Its priced that high because guess what, there are people who are willing to pay the price.  Its that thing called supply and demand.  You do not price your product for how much it cost to make, you price it for what the market will support.  They do not have to charge lower when you can purchase individually.  You continue to forget that part and you continue to dismiss it because it doesn't support your argument.

I don't like having to go through my long list of games, to find my fighting games, so I have one category, specifically for them, and I don't categorize any of my other games.  But, sure, I wasn't going to buy DoA6.  I don't play fighting games.  They're niche boring and constricted to 60fps and small maps.  I've said everything I've had to say on this.  The DLC is the reason I'm not buying the game.  it doesn't have online lobbies, and glitches where you can grab yourself, and fight outside of the stage boundaries.

I was going to buy the game before I found out about the DLC.  That DLC is literally costing the game sales.  Don't try to act like I'm complaining for the sake of complaining.  That is not what's going on here.

I don't do the whole, MK vs. SF, or Tekken vs. VF/DoA thing.  I play a wide range of fighters.  I don't care about achievements at all, and got 90% of Tekken 7 achievements just playing the game naturally, and 45 hours of my playtime were from the first two days of the game's release.  I took a vacation from work just to play Tekken and was treated to it 6 hours before the 12am release.  Not only that, I bought the game on PC and PS4 so I could play with just about everyone.  Not to mention the 5, or 6 people I bought the game for.  If we're going to talk about money coming specifically out of my pocket, I've paid more for Tekken 7 in multiple copies and DLC than I would have for DoA6.  I'M NOT SUPPORTING IT.

I'm not buying DoA6 until I see significant changes. Nothing else needs to be said. 

SuperRetroTurbo said:
Nobody buy it. Send them a message that WE won't take it. Except me, ofcourse.
This is a definite buy for me but is the season pass really needed to use all fighters and or stages?

The season pass is more for sexy costumes than anything else.

ETA: A lot of people honestly just don't understand. This is what the fanbase of DOA largely wants. They're willing to pay high prices to see their favorite characters in different costumes. That's the vast majority of what the season pass provides and Koei Tecmo does a ton of collaborations with other games and anime series for the costumes. It's more than just palette swaps.

Last edited by outlawauron - on 11 March 2019

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.