By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Age of Remasters/Remakes is almost Over....

Shadow1980 said:
zorg1000 said:

Remasters/remakes will never be done

Indeed. They've been a thing since the 16-bit era. The SNES had Super Mario All-Stars and the 16-bit versions of the first three Dragon Quest games, and the Genesis had Mega Man: The Wily Wars, a compilation of the first three NES Mega Man games remastered with 16-bit graphics. And it's continued since then. There's still plenty of older 3D games from Gens 5 & 6 that could do with being remade with more modern graphics, and I think there's a few Gen 7 games that might benefit from being remastered/remade as well because they had performance issues that dragged down an otherwise good title, or because they were a Wii game that would benefit from better graphics (the Wii having only Gen 6 power) and no motion controls.

Yep no company goes, "look at all this easy money we are making with rereleases, remasters & remakes........let's stop making them."

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Yeah I can totally see publishers passing up on incredibly easy money, kind of like how the movie industry has stopped doing remakes.

This is the right comparison. In the movie industry we see reboot-cycles. After about a generation - say 20 to 30 years - are over, everything comes back. This is repeated again and again. Just look up how many Sleepy Hollow movies there are. The gaming industry is that young, that we are just at the first cycle of remakes.

This is a very good point.  I believe "A Star Is Born" has been made 4 different times.  Although they wait long enough between remakes that this latest one seems new to most people.

Also each industry goes through phases.  It seems like the movie industry used to do a lot more remakes just a few years ago.  Now they are doing superhero movies instead.  So the gaming industry might get end up doing fewer remakes in a few years and instead trend toward something else.  Although, remakes are never going to go away entirely.  It's more of an ebb and flow.

Mnementh said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Yeah I can totally see publishers passing up on incredibly easy money, kind of like how the movie industry has stopped doing remakes.

This is the right comparison. In the movie industry we see reboot-cycles. After about a generation - say 20 to 30 years - are over, everything comes back. This is repeated again and again. Just look up how many Sleepy Hollow movies there are. The gaming industry is that young, that we are just at the first cycle of remakes.

It also seems like the remake cycle gets smaller each time. For example, King Kong 1933, 1976, 2005, 2017.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I get the point here. I don't hate the concept, I do like the idea of having some of my favourite games from past generations spruced up in HD, and all good to go on one platform.

However in recent years it has become excessive, with publishers seeming to rely on them as a cash grab and pushing out ones that probably didnt need or warrant remasters (AC 3, Grid autosport).

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

This is a very good point.  I believe "A Star Is Born" has been made 4 different times.  Although they wait long enough between remakes that this latest one seems new to most people.

Also each industry goes through phases.  It seems like the movie industry used to do a lot more remakes just a few years ago.  Now they are doing superhero movies instead.  So the gaming industry might get end up doing fewer remakes in a few years and instead trend toward something else.  Although, remakes are never going to go away entirely.  It's more of an ebb and flow.

Yeah. The wait between releases has to do with generations I think. I noticed a lot of remakes recently from stuff that was a thing then I was young: Jumanji, Baywatch, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles, Miami Vice for instance. Some years ago there were remakes from stuff from before my time: Charlies Angels, The Avengers, Mission Impossible, Planet of the Apes. I think this is comparable to remakes of Links Awakening, Resident Evil 2 or Final Fantasy 7. Enough time has gone by that a lot of new gamers are there that never knew these games, while at the same time the older gamers still remember fondly.

In the gaming industry it is easier to justify remakes on a shorter cycle: by adding content with including DLC or adding new modes and stuff like that. In the movie industry the equivalent are director cuts.

zorg1000 said:
Mnementh said:

It also seems like the remake cycle gets smaller each time. For example, King Kong 1933, 1976, 2005, 2017.

Well, the faster the cycle, the more money you potentially make. Until you overdo it and burn that IP through too much recycling.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Its not even close to being over. Its super profitable for some of these remasters/remakes, they will continue for many many years to come.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

It does not matter how backwards compatible future consoles are/will be. Remakes and remasters will continue to happen. Even Gameboy games get the remake treatment. There is no shortage of games. Hell, even Ocarina of Time will likely see another remaster/remake sometime in the near future. So long as they keep making money, they will continuously be made.

KLXVER said:
Dante9 said:

The PS4 doesn't, because with it, Sony finally made the jump to x86 after trying out different architectures with each machine, giving developers a headache every time.

Now there's no reason to stray away from x86 anymore because of the simple convenience in game development and the working formula that they have come up with. Plus, they can finally claim BC as one of the selling points.

Well pack in The Last Of Us Part 2 with every PS5 would also be a great selling point, but I don't see a reason for them to do that either. 

It's not going to be a major selling point, just one more thing to check off the list.

Like I said, easy development is the main reason that will make them stick with the same basic architecture in the future. Being harder to develop for than your direct competition would not be attractive to third parties. With x86, it's a hell of a lot simpler to make games simultaneously for PC, Xbox and Playstation with only minor tweaks, compared to some weird CELL stuff that the PS3 was based on for example. This will ensure wider support from every direction.

Of course I could be wrong and Sony will pull out something unexpected from the bag, color me surprised if that happens. I hope they don't go crazy and fuck things up. But they at least seem to be continuing with AMD so it looks like they will keep with the PS4 formula and only make it more powerful.

forevercloud3000 said:

The last two console generations were interesting. The technological jump that was between the PS2 and PS3 era of gaming shook up the industry. Japanese devs fell very far behind in tech and prowess. The era of photorealism and open worlds began. To cope with the changing tides developers came up with a way to experiment and gauge consumer direction with the fabled REMASTERS. So many games got recreated for a new age of people, allowing many to re-experience the glory days and for Devs to help litmus test what fans were most into. 

Yet.....in PS4/XB1/Switch era maybe we have relied too much on Remasters. Feels like 1 of 3 games is a remaster or remake now a days. In particular this gen's bevy of remasters took place of the void of traditional backwards compatibility that had been present in Gens prior. 

Going into PS5/Next Box.....that should not be the case. It is very likely both consoles are at minimum BC with the prior gen. And the tech leaps are nowhere near as shocking anymore. Sure, we still have a few more high profile Remasters on the horizon, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 3. But what else is there? We have kinda hit all the biggest gems of yesteryear. Almost every great title of the 90s has made a comeback in last few years. Shadow of the Colossus, Legend of Zelda Orcarina and Majora(albeit they could be ported to Switch), The Last of Us: Remastered, Tomb Raider Def, Sleeping Dogs Def, Darksiders 1-2, Bayonetta, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Devil May Cry 1-4, DMC, GTAV, RE2, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Sly, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Halo Master Chief Collection, Gears of War Def, Final Fantasy X/X-2, FFXII, etc. Outside of doing direct ports of pre-up rez'd remasters is there really anything left? As we hit a form of technological roadblock there is really no need to remaster anything for next gen. What exists now is really good enough and I can't fathom paying for any of them again for minor graphical overhauls when they are likely compatible for the hardware.

As much as I have enjoyed all these remasters.....I kind of hope we are done. It is high time we stop gazing back into the past with nostalgia and created worthy experiences of the future.

Pretty sure they will Remaster the shit out of this and last Gen during next Gen, especially early on. It's very easy money for the Publishers after all.

I wish this was true. I play retro consoles for the nostalgia, and want new experiences from my new boxes.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7