By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Age of Remasters/Remakes is almost Over....

OP is so wrong, ports/remasters/remakes will never be over, if PS5/XB2 really have BC support, that only means we will have less PS4/XB1 ports/remasters to PS5/XB2,
but despite that, there will be still ports/remasters/remakes in any case.

Around the Network

There is too much money in doing ports, they will never stop making them

Not sure where people get the idea that the PS5 will have BC? The PS4 doesn't and its the best selling console AND Sony are making millions upon millions on PSNow.

KLXVER said:
Not sure where people get the idea that the PS5 will have BC? The PS4 doesn't and its the best selling console AND Sony are making millions upon millions on PSNow.

The PS4 doesn't, because with it, Sony finally made the jump to x86 after trying out different architectures with each machine, giving developers a headache every time.

Now there's no reason to stray away from x86 anymore because of the simple convenience in game development and the working formula that they have come up with. Plus, they can finally claim BC as one of the selling points.

Dante9 said:
KLXVER said:

The PS4 doesn't, because with it, Sony finally made the jump to x86 after trying out different architectures with each machine, giving developers a headache every time.

Now there's no reason to stray away from x86 anymore because of the simple convenience in game development and the working formula that they have come up with. Plus, they can finally claim BC as one of the selling points.

Well pack in The Last Of Us Part 2 with every PS5 would also be a great selling point, but I don't see a reason for them to do that either. 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
OP is so wrong, ports/remasters/remakes will never be over, if PS5/XB2 really have BC support, that only means we will have less PS4/XB1 ports/remasters to PS5/XB2,

What if they are FULLY BC with all their previous console games? Then all previous remasters/remakes will be available to play on them already.

Without the excuse of it being the only way to play it on PS4, porting FFX would have just been kind of silly. It got a mild little graphical boost but there is only so much you can do with old games. Improved texture packs only look so good on out dated 3D models. Outside of remastering the games, there is no reason to port it again. And remaking something is a much more expensive endeavor than remastering it.....will they even be financially worth it? While I am sure Spyro is still some level of success, I imagine the fact it was built from the ground up where Crash was more of a direct remaster makes it considerably less profitable.

Video games do not have what the movie industry has that lends itself to remake cycles. Actor change outs are a big thing, there is a whole marketing dynamic around swapping the actors. No one will care about changing out voice actors on a game. Then there is just the way the game is rendered/modeled. It is based on the limits of our tech

Some of these games were created at 3D gaming's infancy, so the tech jump was substantial. Yet I am questioning with whatever power next gen or even the gen after could bring there is a quickly diminishing return on what you can really do to improve these older games. Tomb Raider can't get any more meaningful improvements graphically. I say meaningful in the sense of the type of graphical leap that makes someone do a double take and say "Is that that old game I played back then?! WOW!!!" Yes we can do 4K or whatev, but I don't think the uptake could be large for such an increase, not even 8k.  Not when the previous versions are available easily and consumers will say "Good Enough", and the improvements are as easy as a patch in. 

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
Miyamotoo said:

What if they are FULLY BC with all their previous console games? Then all previous remasters/remakes will be available to play on them already.

Without the excuse of it being the only way to play it on PS4, porting FFX would have just been kind of silly. It got a mild little graphical boost but there is only so much you can do with old games. Improved texture packs only look so good on out dated 3D models. Outside of remastering the games, there is no reason to port it again. And remaking something is a much more expensive endeavor than remastering it.....will they even be financially worth it? While I am sure Spyro is still some level of success, I imagine the fact it was built from the ground up where Crash was more of a direct remaster makes it considerably less profitable.

Video games do not have what the movie industry has that lends itself to remake cycles. Actor change outs are a big thing, there is a whole marketing dynamic around swapping the actors. No one will care about changing out voice actors on a game. Then there is just the way the game is rendered/modeled. It is based on the limits of our tech

Some of these games were created at 3D gaming's infancy, so the tech jump was substantial. Yet I am questioning with whatever power next gen or even the gen after could bring there is a quickly diminishing return on what you can really do to improve these older games. Tomb Raider can't get any more meaningful improvements graphically. I say meaningful in the sense of the type of graphical leap that makes someone do a double take and say "Is that that old game I played back then?! WOW!!!" Yes we can do 4K or whatev, but I don't think the uptake could be large for such an increase, not even 8k.  Not when the previous versions are available easily and consumers will say "Good Enough", and the improvements are as easy as a patch in. 

You don’t need a substantial graphical upgrade to release a game again. There are countless games last gen that were released again this gen with only a slight upgrade in graphics, the upgrade mostly came in resolution and frame rate. Why would we not see the same thing next gen? If Gearbox finally releases Borderlands 3 next gen, why are they not going to release 1, 2, and the Pre-Sequel again, with even higher resolution and some graphic improvements? Why would publishers not remake any number of popular PS2 or GCN or Xbox games? It’s cheaper, easier work with a more trustworthy payoff.

We got a Bioshock re-release, why not an actual remake? People are loving the RE2 remake. Wasn’t Ratchet and Clank a remake? These types of releases aren’t going anywhere.

LudicrousSpeed said:
forevercloud3000 said:

You don’t need a substantial graphical upgrade to release a game again. There are countless games last gen that were released again this gen with only a slight upgrade in graphics, the upgrade mostly came in resolution and frame rate. Why would we not see the same thing next gen? If Gearbox finally releases Borderlands 3 next gen, why are they not going to release 1, 2, and the Pre-Sequel again, with even higher resolution and some graphic improvements? Why would publishers not remake any number of popular PS2 or GCN or Xbox games? It’s cheaper, easier work with a more trustworthy payoff.

We got a Bioshock re-release, why not an actual remake? People are loving the RE2 remake. Wasn’t Ratchet and Clank a remake? These types of releases aren’t going anywhere.

Well the reason we got those remasters/bundles is because the old versions were not native available to the console. This gen was the first gen of limited BC. I didn't need to buy FFVII digital remaster back on PS2 because it played my PS1 version. What would a remaster of Bioshock have to offer PS5 if I can still play the remaster from PS4?

Like is anyone going to legit buy another PS5/Nextbox version of Skyrim if the current gen is avail?

I just think with the return of Backward Compatibility, Remasters/Remakes return on investment is diminishing at this point.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
Miyamotoo said:

For instance, best you can bet is that PS5 support PS4 discs, of course it will not support PS3/PS2/PS1 discs, but even there you will have games being remastered from this gen to PS5/XB2, not to mentioned from PS3/PS2 or full remake.

Not only will they not go away, but we should want them to continue. They are healthy for the industry for a couple reasons:

1) People want them. We are nostalgic for the past. People love games from their childhood and the idea of them being recreated to look and function better, on modern devices, and in convenient forms (Switch, VR, for examples).

2) It allows companies to make more money off older games. These remakes/remasters don't cost as much to develop as original games. The stories are made, so they don't have to hire a bunch of screenwriters. The art and visual design is established, they just need to upgrade them essentially. The games are already known, so marketing will be easier and cheaper. All this points to cheaper development, which means more profit from selling them. And what does more profit mean for gaming companies? More people get jobs, more people get raises, stockholders make more dividends, capitalism flourishes and, most relevant to us with the addition of studios and more members to development teams, more new games are able to be made in a quicker fashion. If they just focused on selling a game once and moving on to super expensive brand new games and engines that they have to start over on every time and marketing from square one every time, they will not generate nearly as much revenue and profit as they do now, which means fewer studios, smaller development teams, and less overall newer games being made.

We need remakes in order to have more new games.