By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Age of Remasters/Remakes is almost Over....

The last two console generations were interesting. The technological jump that was between the PS2 and PS3 era of gaming shook up the industry. Japanese devs fell very far behind in tech and prowess. The era of photorealism and open worlds began. To cope with the changing tides developers came up with a way to experiment and gauge consumer direction with the fabled REMASTERS. So many games got recreated for a new age of people, allowing many to re-experience the glory days and for Devs to help litmus test what fans were most into. 

Yet.....in PS4/XB1/Switch era maybe we have relied too much on Remasters. Feels like 1 of 3 games is a remaster or remake now a days. In particular this gen's bevy of remasters took place of the void of traditional backwards compatibility that had been present in Gens prior. 

Going into PS5/Next Box.....that should not be the case. It is very likely both consoles are at minimum BC with the prior gen. And the tech leaps are nowhere near as shocking anymore. Sure, we still have a few more high profile Remasters on the horizon, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 3. But what else is there? We have kinda hit all the biggest gems of yesteryear. Almost every great title of the 90s has made a comeback in last few years. Shadow of the Colossus, Legend of Zelda Orcarina and Majora(albeit they could be ported to Switch), The Last of Us: Remastered, Tomb Raider Def, Sleeping Dogs Def, Darksiders 1-2, Bayonetta, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Devil May Cry 1-4, DMC, GTAV, RE2, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Sly, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Halo Master Chief Collection, Gears of War Def, Final Fantasy X/X-2, FFXII, etc. Outside of doing direct ports of pre-up rez'd remasters is there really anything left? As we hit a form of technological roadblock there is really no need to remaster anything for next gen. What exists now is really good enough and I can't fathom paying for any of them again for minor graphical overhauls when they are likely compatible for the hardware.

As much as I have enjoyed all these remasters.....I kind of hope we are done. It is high time we stop gazing back into the past with nostalgia and created worthy experiences of the future.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

Remasters/remakes will never be done

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

But how can we stop gazing back in the past with nostalgia when you're supposed to be FOREVER cloud????????????????

Haha, just giving ya a hard time. I sort of hope that we at least see ~less~ next gen than we did this gen, which I think we will. Although, I do want to see RE3 and Code Veronica remade, just to tie up loose ends.

Mar1217 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
But how can we stop gazing back in the past with nostalgia when you're supposed to be FOREVER cloud????????????????

Haha, just giving ya a hard time. I sort of hope that we at least see ~less~ next gen than we did this gen, which I think we will. Although, I do want to see RE3 and Code Veronica remade, just to tie up loose ends.

Next thing we'll get 4K remaster instead :P

And 8K enhanced on the mid-gen upgrades.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Yeah I can totally see publishers passing up on incredibly easy money, kind of like how the movie industry has stopped doing remakes.

Around the Network

Remasters will never end. BC and remasters can coexist together.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

There's still a ton of games unremade. This isn't over.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Yeah I can totally see publishers passing up on incredibly easy money, kind of like how the movie industry has stopped doing remakes.

This is the right comparison. In the movie industry we see reboot-cycles. After about a generation - say 20 to 30 years - are over, everything comes back. This is repeated again and again. Just look up how many Sleepy Hollow movies there are. The gaming industry is that young, that we are just at the first cycle of remakes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think up-res Remasters will boil down to  <$10 texture packs (quite a few devs/pubs might decide to offer them for free) in the future. Full on graphical remakes with some gameplay adjustments will be bigger than ever next gen, just like in the film/music/TV show business.

I still hope Nintendo remasters the 3DS versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the Switch (but they should remove some of the gameplay changes they made to Majora's Mask).