By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which Top-Selling New Release of 2018 Most Exceeded Retail Sales Expectations?

Which Top-Selling New Release of 2018 Most Exceeded Retail Sales Expectations?

Red Dead Redemption II 125 7.60%

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII 28 1.70%

FIFA 19 6 0.36%

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 468 28.47%

Spider-Man 321 19.53%

Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee 75 4.56%

God of War 184 11.19%

Far Cry 5 18 1.09%

Monster Hunter: World 268 16.30%

Super Mario Party 151 9.18%

Total:1,644

Far Cry 5 and GOW have surely sold more than this at retail. Far Cry 5 broke records with $320 million in sales in a week and should be higher Spiderman in sales. GOW sold 5 million in a month and should have well above a million since that time, should be at 8 million with digital and 7 million just for retail, since its selling amazingly well on every retail website and its critically acclaimed.

Around the Network

For me it's definitely Spider-Man, never expected it to do that good.

Wait, people expected Smash and Spiderman to sell lame? What's wrong with you?

In my recollection people were not expecting too much from MHW, Mario Party and the opinion was pretty split on Pokemon Let's Go (some assuming sales like a main title, some like a spin-off). Also, 86 people expected RDR2 NOT to sell gangbusters?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

MHW and there's no competition. This game shut everyone up and ended up succeeding MHFU which many said it wasn't going to beat.

Smash leading? oh please that game was obviously going to make big numbers especially by making people buy a Switch and I'm one of I was one of those people.

Spider-Man I can understand especially since the past games were looked down upon and people approached this one warily.

HandofPrometheus said:
MHW and there's no competition. This game shut everyone up and ended up succeeding MHFU which many said it wasn't going to beat.

Smash leading? oh please that game was obviously going to make big numbers especially by making people buy a Switch and I'm one of I was one of those people.

Spider-Man I can understand especially since the past games were looked down upon and people approached this one warily.

MH4 series on 3ds managed to sell 8.3 million in 70 million userbase

MHW above 10 million in 3 platforms over 200 million userbase is within the expectations

Smash 12 million in 24 days in 32 million userbase is smashing people expectations 

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
HandofPrometheus said:

MHW above 10 million in 3 platforms over 200 million userbase is within the expectations

Smash 12 million in 24 days in 32 million userbase is smashing people expectations 

Woah dude ... you are trying waayyyy too hard, my guy

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
HandofPrometheus said:

That's perfectly in line with melee's 7 millions out of 21m+ userbase. These numbers are incredible but far from surprising.

RenCutypoison said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

That's perfectly in line with melee's 7 millions out of 21m+ userbase. These numbers are incredible but far from surprising.

Fastest selling console exclusive ever isn't surprised to anyone? judging by the poll result a lot of people were surprised by that feat. 

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
RenCutypoison said:

Fastest selling console exclusive ever isn't surprised to anyone? judging by the poll result a lot of people were surprised by that feat. 

Nintendo is known for making exclusives that sell exceptionnally well and it's an IP that's known to sell millions with a game in the series having a 1/3 tie ratio to the console.

It's like saying GTA 5 being the most profitable game ever is suprising. There was no guarantee it was going to be that succesful, but it was already expected to be very succesful.

RenCutypoison said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Nintendo is known for making exclusives that sell exceptionnally well and it's an IP that's known to sell millions with a game in the series having a 1/3 tie ratio to the console.

It's like saying GTA 5 being the most profitable game ever is suprising. There was no guarantee it was going to be that succesful, but it was already expected to be very succesful.

And Monster Hunter is known for the monstrous sales despite been exclusives to the 3ds.

MH4 series(Mainline)3ds 8.3 million

Smash Bros 3ds = 9.45 million 

Smash Bros Ultimate 12.08 million in a month on 32 million hardware

MHW 12 million in a year on PS4 90 million + XB1 41 million + Steam >100 million user base

Context is really important and Smash Ultimate exceeded most people expectation based on the poll 

Last edited by LGBTDBZBBQ - on 13 February 2019