By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which Top-Selling New Release of 2018 Most Exceeded Retail Sales Expectations?

Which Top-Selling New Release of 2018 Most Exceeded Retail Sales Expectations?

Red Dead Redemption II 125 7.60%

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII 28 1.70%

FIFA 19 6 0.36%

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 468 28.47%

Spider-Man 321 19.53%

Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee 75 4.56%

God of War 184 11.19%

Far Cry 5 18 1.09%

Monster Hunter: World 268 16.30%

Super Mario Party 151 9.18%

Total:1,644

Wow Smash is winning? I thought it was selling as people expected. MHW on the other hand NO ONE expected to sell like this and a close second for me would me Spider-man. Interesting seeing everyones choices though.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

Super Mario Party at almost 5 million is really impressive and it was not something I expected. GoW also blew my expectations away since I was basing my estimates of past sales of the franchise which GoW crushed.

Signature goes here!

Not sure how Smash Ultimate's sales are supposed to be surprising or exceeding expectations? Even the Wii U version sold over 5 million copies on a 13 million install base, so 9 million on a 30 million consoles shouldn't be that unexpected really, especially for what has been one of Nintendo's biggest franchises for almost two decades now. Isn't this more par for the course if anything? I would have been more surprised if it didn't sell like this.

As for what I asnwered, I never thought that Monster Hunter would become such a big hit in the west, even with the more user friendly experience. I just felt that it was always going to be more of a niche series. I'm very happy it has done so well.

Should look at the threads which people predicted the sales.

But considering people expecting MHW selling like 1-3M WW and it smashing it I would say it is bigger surprise. GoW and Spider-Man also sold much much more than some people had expected (and they seem off in the tracking of Machina).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Spiderman and GOW blew away expectations but MHW is the undisputed king.

Nobody and I mean nobody except that guy from Capcom predicted anything close to 10m and even then that guy probably meant LTD not pre holiday season and in under a year. MHW no argument at all.

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
GProgrammer said:
LOL at Super Smash Ultimate, there was a thread predicting 15 million sold during 2018

A more correct answer is
Monster Hunter World see this thread for evidence http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=231864

I guess that makes me VGChartz current reigning champion super predictor?

LOL at Smash Ultimate sales? so Smash Ultimate managed to outsell titles like GOW, Spiderman, and MHW in just 4 weeks is just a LOL-worthy but not a huge surprise? 

15m prediction is for the shipment, not the sales. Would you tell us what was your prediction again?

SW shipment is usually quite close to selling, they don't need 2 months worth or regular sale on inventory. There is a reason pre-orders and day ones are used so much to help do right shipment.

And when you look most games the bulk of the sales come on first week and first month.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

LOL at Smash Ultimate sales? so Smash Ultimate managed to outsell titles like GOW, Spiderman, and MHW in just 4 weeks is just a LOL-worthy but not a huge surprise? 

15m prediction is for the shipment, not the sales. Would you tell us what was your prediction again?

SW shipment is usually quite close to selling, they don't need 2 months worth or regular sale on inventory. There is a reason pre-orders and day ones are used so much to help do right shipment.

And when you look most games the bulk of the sales come on first week and first month.

Holiday shipments is another story here. SMO sold-through number+Digital were~7m while the shipments were 9.07m and SSBU with the highest number of preorder usually equate to a large shipments size especially in a holiday month to prevent a stock situation from disrupting Smash momentum.  Japan 250k Smash ultimate number on the 1st week of sales was another proof of a big shipment from Nintendo. 

Darashiva said:
Not sure how Smash Ultimate's sales are supposed to be surprising or exceeding expectations? Even the Wii U version sold over 5 million copies on a 13 million install base, so 9 million on a 30 million consoles shouldn't be that unexpected really, especially for what has been one of Nintendo's biggest franchises for almost two decades now. Isn't this more par for the course if anything? I would have been more surprised if it didn't sell like this.

As for what I asnwered, I never thought that Monster Hunter would become such a big hit in the west, even with the more user friendly experience. I just felt that it was always going to be more of a niche series. I'm very happy it has done so well.

People are surprised not because of that big number but the timeframe of that number. 

25 days of sales = 9-10m(Physical+Digital)

Smash Ultimate is already outpacing the previous entries and about to overtake the best selling version in just a month. 

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Darashiva said:

People are surprised not because of that big number but the timeframe of that number. 

Smash Ultimate is already outpacing the previous entries and about to overtake the best selling version in just a month. 

It's still nowhere near a genuine surprise as far as I'm concerned. Smash was always going to sell well, so it selling well, but faster is still completely within reason.

Darashiva said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

It's still nowhere near a genuine surprise as far as I'm concerned. Smash was always going to sell well, so it selling well, but faster is still completely within reason.

So it's going to surpass the best selling version (Brawl 13m) in 100m userbase with ease = within expectations while high budget MHW outperforming 3ds MH4+G(8.3m) is a surprise to you despite releasing on XB1+PS4+PC with over 200m userbase.