By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your hopes for a PS5 Pro etc next gen?

I would like to see them go back to releasing Uncharted every 2 years like they used to. Same with Horizon. If not then at least release new DLC expansion levels every two years. Save the hardware upgrades for the PS6 and get back to focusing more on their AAA games next gen.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
John2290 said:

I'd be disappointed if PS5 proper wasn't aiming for 4k, 60fps at €400 from launch with exceptions at 4k, 30/45fps being the third party games. 4k is a given but I think with deep learning tech and a need for 120fps for VR, 60 fps should easily attained if they have invested correctly in the VR tech. So lets hope the ps5 is a VR machine.

I like and have VR, but not sure the 3M sales will make they give extra attention to VR on PS5 HW. certainly the better CPU we expect may give "indie level" and VR cartoonish graphics 120fps on good graphic output. And considering one side pretty cartoon versus other side ugly realistic (due to basically 4x more processing) I would take the first, but I believe we will have pristine and better than PS360 level of graphic on 120 fps VR games next gen for PS5.

$499 with the VR breakout box baked into the console, making the VR SKU itself cheaper. Pricing could vary depending on subsidy. You could have a $399 Pro console, $299 base hybrid, and $199 streaming box.

I think there will be two models at launch, a PS5 and PS5 Pro. GPU will likely follow similar config of PS4 to PS4 Pro.

But there also will be a PS5 Pro+ or PS5K sometime in 2023 with doubled config of PS5Pro at 5nm(?). Perhaps 5K resolutions or 4K 60fps.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

DonFerrari said:

So really even 60fps is pointless for me outside of Gran Turismo and fighting games. I can understand it being desirable by a small group of PC gamer, but considering console gaming have always put more of the budget on graphics and aiming 30 fps (outside of e-sport games and the like) I don't think anyone will really aim 120fps next-gen. Perhaps we may start to care about 60fps in more genres (I doubt) but before we do it, 120fps is outside of question.

I don't care about frame rate for competitive reasons.  I care about it because higher frame rates feel better.  The difference between 30 and 60 is huge.  I recall going from Destiny at 30fps to Halo 5 at 60 and thinking it was cool, but nothing special.  But, when I finished Halo at 60andd went back to Destiny at 30fps, I really realized how awesome that 60fps was.

As far as I'm concerned, 60fps should be the standard for all games next gen, with hopes that Pro or X models will give us even higher. 

Solid-Stark said:
I think there will be two models at launch, a PS5 and PS5 Pro. GPU will likely follow similar config of PS4 to PS4 Pro.

But there also will be a PS5 Pro+ or PS5K sometime in 2023 with doubled config of PS5Pro at 5nm(?). Perhaps 5K resolutions or 4K 60fps.

With 8k showing up at CES this year, a dynamic checkerboard 8k PS5 upgrade wouldn't be out of the question at some point.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Solid-Stark said:

With 8k showing up at CES this year, a dynamic checkerboard 8k PS5 upgrade wouldn't be out of the question at some point.

Sony released the first 4K TV in 2012 for what that's worth. https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-releases-first-4k-tv-the-84-inch-xbr-84x900/

I highly highly doubt any console releasing in the next couple years will support 8K, especially considering the 8K TV announced cost $13,000. I don't see any reason to believe that 8K TVs won't cost over $5K for years like every other tv with a new resolution standard has, and it won't have a decent adoption rate until sets can be had for less than $1000, possibly longer as you're really starting to see the effects of diminishing returns. The difference between 8K and 4K will be harder to notice than the difference between 4K and 1080p. It's possible the difference between the two will be incredibly difficult to notice from 6-8 feet away on a television that's 60" or smaller. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's adopted at an even slower rate than 4K was (which as far as I remember, was adopted at a slower rate than expected).

Even then, the processing power to produce an 8K image is as significant leap in performance from 1080p to 4K, which means the technology to render video games at that resolution at an acceptable frame rate, even with some type of dynamic checkerboard technique is still in the realm of thousands of dollars today, if not more. I'd say you're much more likely to see consoles support new video standards that improve picture quality in other ways, such as better HDR etc. If it does support 8K at all, it'll just be for video files.

potato_hamster said:
EricHiggin said:

Sony released the first 4K TV in 2012 for what that's worth. https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-releases-first-4k-tv-the-84-inch-xbr-84x900/

I highly highly doubt any console releasing in the next couple years will support 8K, especially considering the 8K TV announced cost $13,000. I don't see any reason to believe that 8K TVs won't cost over $5K for years like every other tv with a new resolution standard has, and it won't have a decent adoption rate until sets can be had for less than $1000, possibly longer as you're really starting to see the effects of diminishing returns. The difference between 8K and 4K will be harder to notice than the difference between 4K and 1080p. It's possible the difference between the two will be incredibly difficult to notice from 6-8 feet away on a television that's 60" or smaller. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's adopted at an even slower rate than 4K was (which as far as I remember, was adopted at a slower rate than expected).

Even then, the processing power to produce an 8K image is as significant leap in performance from 1080p to 4K, which means the technology to render video games at that resolution at an acceptable frame rate, even with some type of dynamic checkerboard technique is still in the realm of thousands of dollars today, if not more. I'd say you're much more likely to see consoles support new video standards that improve picture quality in other ways, such as better HDR etc. If it does support 8K at all, it'll just be for video files.

I don't see how PS4 Pro in 2016 would be all that much different than a PS5 Pro around 2023, give or take. Dynamic checkerboarding is taking whatever they can stick in an affordable box and upscaling it. PS could probably checkerboard PS4 Pro up to 8k right now, it would just look like base PS4 upscaled to 4k, maybe worse, but with the performance of a PS5 Pro, it should be reasonable just like how the PS4 Pro is now with 4k.

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

Because most people, by that basically all console gamers and even most PC gamers themselves don't play on 120fps setting due to how taxing it is for the system.

Considering how there are games from the PS2 era that ran at 60fps, I dunno man. There are also plenty of PC gamers out there running at 60, rather than hundreds of millions running at 30/sub 30fps (which feels like a baseless claim to ever make, unless you include 10-15 old granny computers used for facebook games, in which case you shouldn't even begin to include those non gamers). 

Also, not all games are taxing to run past 60fps either.

Man, 60fps I would agree a lot of PC gamers aim to, I was saying 120fps is a small fraction.

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

I like and have VR, but not sure the 3M sales will make they give extra attention to VR on PS5 HW. certainly the better CPU we expect may give "indie level" and VR cartoonish graphics 120fps on good graphic output. And considering one side pretty cartoon versus other side ugly realistic (due to basically 4x more processing) I would take the first, but I believe we will have pristine and better than PS360 level of graphic on 120 fps VR games next gen for PS5.

$499 with the VR breakout box baked into the console, making the VR SKU itself cheaper. Pricing could vary depending on subsidy. You could have a $399 Pro console, $299 base hybrid, and $199 streaming box.

Could be.

VAMatt said:
DonFerrari said:

So really even 60fps is pointless for me outside of Gran Turismo and fighting games. I can understand it being desirable by a small group of PC gamer, but considering console gaming have always put more of the budget on graphics and aiming 30 fps (outside of e-sport games and the like) I don't think anyone will really aim 120fps next-gen. Perhaps we may start to care about 60fps in more genres (I doubt) but before we do it, 120fps is outside of question.

I don't care about frame rate for competitive reasons.  I care about it because higher frame rates feel better.  The difference between 30 and 60 is huge.  I recall going from Destiny at 30fps to Halo 5 at 60 and thinking it was cool, but nothing special.  But, when I finished Halo at 60andd went back to Destiny at 30fps, I really realized how awesome that 60fps was.

As far as I'm concerned, 60fps should be the standard for all games next gen, with hopes that Pro or X models will give us even higher. 

No problem man. There are a lot of people like you that prefer 60fps over prettier graphics. But the console market so far have focused more on the graphic due to being easier to market and show as better than the rest. But considering they made 30fps on potato chips, perhaps just being less scrooge with CPU would grant 60fps without having impact on graphics (considerable at least).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

EricHiggin said:
Solid-Stark said:

I hope Sony learns from the Pro and X, and delivers a full 8K console. Checkerboard 4K and no UHD Blu-Ray drive were/are the most unattractive things about PS4 Pro.

Honestly, I want Sony to offer an 8K capable PS5 at launch. Make it known that it is only an 'option' aimed at the hardcore Gaming and A/V enthusiast crowd. They can sell it for $1,500, and give players a way to expereince Horizon 2, God of War 2, Gran Turismo Sport, and The Last of Us Part II at 8K.

Microsoft already offers Gears and Forza at 8K on and Windows, Sony needs to counter that.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

EricHiggin said:
potato_hamster said:

I don't see how PS4 Pro in 2016 would be all that much different than a PS5 Pro around 2023, give or take. Dynamic checkerboarding is taking whatever they can stick in an affordable box and upscaling it. PS could probably checkerboard PS4 Pro up to 8k right now, it would just look like base PS4 upscaled to 4k, maybe worse, but with the performance of a PS5 Pro, it should be reasonable just like how the PS4 Pro is now with 4k.

I thought you were talking about the PS5 releasing in 2019 or 2020. 2023 is definitely more possible. My apologies.