By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your hopes for a PS5 Pro etc next gen?

Shadow1980 said:
Unless 8K TV gets sufficient market penetration within the next 5 years, I don't see the PS5 or Xbox 4 getting a mid-gen spec upgrade of any kind. The entire reason the PS4 & XBO got spec upgrades was because of 4K TVs (and VR to a lesser extent).

Considering 4K in the next few years is forecasted to be way behind where HDTVs were in 2005 - 2006, I don't think anyone will bother with 8K for consoles for the next 10 years or so.

Around the Network

I just want the best device Sony can put out at the time. No more holding back, put out a real high end PS5, a $1,000+ model that can go toe to toe with Microsoft's exclusives on PC. If they launch with a high and low version, then I want a higher version at 5nm and another higher version at 3nm. If it has to be $299.99, $599.99, $999.99, and $1,499 then make it happen. Let us choose the level we want to expereince of PlayStation Software at. If we have an 8K Display and 11.2 Surround, then give us a PS5 model to take advantage of them.

If they all play the same games, but range from 1080p - 8K/60, then what issue can someone have. If you have a 1080p TV, then get the $299.99 1080p version, if you have an 8K TV and 11.2 Surrond, then upgrade to the $1,499 model when it arrives. Options are a thing with every other electronics device on the market. You pay for the level of expereince you want.

With PS5 Pro, I want them to stop holding back PlayStation for offering cutting edge tech.

I also want to see PSVR itterations in the same vein. Sony offers 20+ new TV models every year. Now I don't think we need 20 PSVR options each year, but a model optimized for each PS5 version would be nice.

Of course, I would like to see a Mobile PS5, with regular revisions as well.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
I just want the best device Sony can put out at the time. No more holding back, put out a real high end PS5, a $1,000+ model that can go toe to toe with Microsoft's exclusives on PC. If they launch with a high and low version, then I want a higher version at 5nm and another higher version at 3nm. If it has to be $299.99, $599.99, $999.99, and $1,499 then make it happen. Let us choose the level we want to expereince of PlayStation Software at. If we have an 8K Display and 11.2 Surround, then give us a PS5 model to take advantage of them.

If they all play the same games, but range from 1080p - 8K/60, then what issue can someone have. If you have a 1080p TV, then get the $299.99 1080p version, if you have an 8K TV and 11.2 Surrond, then upgrade to the $1,499 model when it arrives. Options are a thing with every other electronics device on the market. You pay for the level of expereince you want.

With PS5 Pro, I want them to stop holding back PlayStation for offering cutting edge tech.

I also want to see PSVR itterations in the same vein. Sony offers 20+ new TV models every year. Now I don't think we need 20 PSVR options each year, but a model optimized for each PS5 version would be nice.

Of course you do accept this is never happening, and makes no business sense, right?

To answer the OP: I don't think a PS5 Pro is happening. Not only has the PS4 Pro not actually sold that well, but in my opinion, the only reason it was created was because 4K was adopted quicker than anticipated, and Sony wanted to gauge not only how their consumer base would adopt such a  device, but how developers would support it. The results aren't exactly very encouraging. 8K is exponentially more resource intensive than 4K (much like 4K is to 1080p) which would make the processing requirements for 8K ridiculous while have even more significant diminishing returns. the difference between 8K and 4K will be even less noticeable at a glance than 4K to 1080p is. Considering poorly even high end gaming PCs run games at 4K, I suspect it'll be quite a while before developers are actually coming close to making 8K a standard that a hardware manufacturer will want to touch beyond maybe playing video files. It's just not worth the effort, expense, or investment and won't be for quite some time.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 07 January 2019

Don't think we will get a middle gen pocket to target as VR and 4K, so I don't expect a Pro next gen.

If it gets one, expect about 3x the power.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I would go with PS5 and PS5 "Elite" on Launch. The Base PS5 would be very powerful, in the $399-$449 range. The Elite Model a true Beast, in the $499-$549 range, for hardcore gamers, and compete with XBox "Anaconda" (Tech and Specs). I believe this could be a good option for Sony, my two cents.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

PS5 Pro at launch doesn't make sense unless they're going to skimp out on the base PS5 (which I don't think they'll do).

PS4 Pro and X1X were launched 3 & 4 years respectively from their base models. A PS5 Pro at launch would have to be significantly more expensive then the base machine to offer a meaningful difference at launch. More than just the $100-150 we see at the moment. 

I expect & hope

-Native 4k will largely be sidelined in AAA development for new frame scaling solutions which come close to mimicing 4k with a fraction of the power draw
-Modular Hardware will change the meaning of "mid-gen upgrades"
-SSD storage
-2TFLOP HDD
-100GB disc medium
-Suprises :)

Otter said:

PS5 Pro at launch doesn't make sense unless they're going to skimp out on the base PS5 (which I don't think they'll do).

PS4 Pro and X1X were launched 3 & 4 years respectively from their base models. A PS5 Pro at launch would have to be significantly more expensive then the base machine to offer a meaningful difference at launch. More than just the $100-150 we see at the moment. 

I expect & hope

-Native 4k will largely be sidelined in AAA development for new frame scaling solutions which come close to mimicing 4k with a fraction of the power draw
-Modular Hardware will change the meaning of "mid-gen upgrades"
-SSD storage
-2TFLOP HDD
-100GB disc medium
-Suprises :)

Yes at launch a Pro model would be more like Elite versus Arcade of X360. Cosmetic stuff... Could be SSD, different cooling option, disc and discless, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

the-pi-guy said:
potato_hamster said:

Not only has the PS4 Pro not actually sold that well

I agree with everything else you've written, but what is this based on?

Well a number of things: PS4 Pro sales at one point made up 20% of PS4 sales, and Sony has been pretty tight lipped about it since. In my experience, this means it's not selling at rates they feel is worth nothing, choosing to instead lump them in with PS4 sales as they started doing with PS Vita sales when that got too embarrassing to report.Top that off with the appearance of shortages apparently world-wide for PS4 pros, and it appears that they weren't selling well enough for Sony to justify continuously producing and supplying stock to stores.  I don't have hard numbers for how much it has sold, if that's what you're asking, but it seems pretty clear to me that it isn't as great as they would have liked to see.

Chazore said:
I honestly wouldn't want to see gens becoming longer, because that leads to stagnation and some games being held back for reasons related to base and mid level hardware.

Well with Nintendo firmly at the base with the switch and likely to stay there going forward I think no matter what Sony offer the lower level is going to remain. 

KBG29 said:

Krazy Ken we know you're in there! 

DonFerrari said:
Don't think we will get a middle gen pocket to target as VR and 4K, so I don't expect a Pro next gen.

If it gets one, expect about 3x the power.

Let's say PS5 comes out 2020. A Pro in 2024 or 2025 to run games at 4k 120Fps would be worthwhile. Especially now that your standard 4k TV by then will support 4k @120fps via HDMI 2.0 so it would make sense.