By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your hopes for a PS5 Pro etc next gen?

Kerotan said:

What are your hopes for the mid gen upgrades for gen 9 systems?

That there are none.
This gen it made sense only because of 4K tv's and people wanting more.
Next gen, the base model will aim for 4k, and a "mid gen" refresh isnt needed.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Unless 8K TV gets sufficient market penetration within the next 5 years, I don't see the PS5 or Xbox 4 getting a mid-gen spec upgrade of any kind. The entire reason the PS4 & XBO got spec upgrades was because of 4K TVs (and VR to a lesser extent).

That's kind of a limited view of looking at things.

Quite obviously, game cards are the way to go.  Not sure if they'd be cheaper than discs, but discs are already too slow for PS4 games, and they don't really have a purpose...  for games.  I'd still like to see a disc drive, for backwards compatibility, and other media, (music and movies) but even that isn't used very much by discs anymore.

So, that's what I'd like to see in the PS5 Pro.  A disc drive.  The standard model doesn't need it.  It probably wont need backwards compatibility either.  It would be nice for 4k 60 fps to be standard for all PS5 consoles.  But, seeing as I have a PS4 pro and a ps4, it makes no sense to upgrade.  If the PS5 pro is the same way, in terms of graphics and stability....  why upgrade?  For a disc drive, and backwards compatibility, and other features that would be nice add-ons.

Seeing as how discs are 60 dollars new, on release and have to be installed, before you can play them, it makes no sense to continue going that route.  Then, to make things worse, sales happen a few weeks after the game is out.  The only prices that stays the same are older games.  Some even increase in price.

Kerotan said:
DonFerrari said:
Don't think we will get a middle gen pocket to target as VR and 4K, so I don't expect a Pro next gen.

If it gets one, expect about 3x the power.

Let's say PS5 comes out 2020. A Pro in 2024 or 2025 to run games at 4k 120Fps would be worthwhile. Especially now that your standard 4k TV by then will support 4k @120fps via HDMI 2.0 so it would make sense. 

I don't even care to locked 30fps, much less 60fps. Don't even bother with 120fps, totally not worth... would be better keep 30fps and 4x the IQ and effects, but don't think they would be able to justify Pro on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

For it to actually be superior to the base PS console. I’m becoming increasingly salty about my PS4 Pro purchase. It’s actually slower than my base ps4 was, and that is infuriating. It skips and freezes frequently, even during basic processes. I’m pretty sure I got a dud, but there’s nothing I can do now.

I'd say it all depends on how strong the 7nm process and Navi are.

If the gap between Navi and Vega at same power consumption isn't very big, then I fear a mid-gen upgrade will be necessary as the next gen would then be only barely over Pro/X visually, thus potentially not giving much incentive for those who have a mid-gen upgrade console to buy another console just yet. It would need a bigger upgrade to get enough of a gap for that, and that one might only be commercially possible (meaning cheap and lessened consumption enough to become viable for a console) later down the road.

In other words, we'll have to wait until we get some specs about the next gen and then we can assume if or if not.

Around the Network

When the PS5 is produced i would like to see them come out with a pro version at the same time but a little different.

The pro version would double everything cpu (8 core now 16) video card ram etc. Why you ask the pro version would allow much higher graphics frame rate but it would also allow one game purchase be played by two people in the same household on two different screens (maybe purchase extra wireless hdmi so can be played on another screen in different room or use app on smart TV with wifi). Or even play different games at the same time. 

Also allow it to be used as a unit for game design Sony should partner up with several game engines and have their own as well. Also allow video design programs and other pro minded software. Because if the basic PS5 had 10TF graphics and 8 core CPU you double that and have a better than average PC that Sony could sell to professionals and extreme gamers. 

If they did so they wouldn't have to worry as much about game graphics passing them by mid gen and over time the price would decrease to become more main line. 

Now being a greedy tech dude i'd love to see 4x alongside the 2x option. (maybe AMD should be the one to come out with such a beast 40TF 32 core lol)

Now this would work even better with microsoft with the prfessional version being packaged with windows.

JRPGfan said:
Kerotan said:

What are your hopes for the mid gen upgrades for gen 9 systems?

That there are none.

They could aim for 4k @120fps and for any game struggling to hit 4k @60fps help it hit it easily. 

And Sony will do it. At this stage last gen we were flooded with articles online about the death of consoles and that the future was pc/mobile gaming. The pro models kill that off which is important. 

Kerotan said:
JRPGfan said:

That there are none.

They could aim for 4k @120fps and for any game struggling to hit 4k @60fps help it hit it easily. 

And Sony will do it. At this stage last gen we were flooded with articles online about the death of consoles and that the future was pc/mobile gaming. The pro models kill that off which is important. 

Aiming for 60fps and makeing use of FreeSync.... I suspect basically every console gamer would be happy.

I see 120fps as waste of resources.... I think gains are too small and market too small for such a product to really be a success.
I rather see them get it right the first time around, make sure the base model is strong enough for 60fps and done.

JRPGfan said:
Kerotan said:

Aiming for 60fps and makeing use of FreeSync.... I suspect basically every console gamer would be happy.

I see 120fps as waste of resources.... I think gains are too small and market too small for such a product to really be a success.
I rather see them get it right the first time around, make sure the base model is strong enough for 60fps and done.

Ps5 Pro could be 2025. By then 120Fps wouldn't be crazy. And with hdmi 2.1 tvs that will do 4k 120 hz coming in already I welcome it. 

Kerotan said:
JRPGfan said:

Ps5 Pro could be 2025. By then 120Fps wouldn't be crazy. And with hdmi 2.1 tvs that will do 4k 120 hz coming in already I welcome it. 

I'm with you on this. I say the new consoles should support 8K, 120 fps and whatever features seem ridiculous at the moment but don't really cost much to add.

Running 9th gen AAA games at 4K/8K with 120 fps won't happen. But these console should be powerful enough to run less demanding or old games at 8K and/or 120 fps. There are TVs on the market with 120 fps, while 8K displays exist, so why not support them?

Even if you don't have a 8K display, that super sampling should look sexy.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)